2 Questions on Cardinal (Charlottesville VA -> Lafayette IN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meenie

Train Attendant
Roomette on Cardinal? If you get a roomette and you're traveling alone do you have to share the roomette? That could be kinda scarey!

How much does it cost?

Also, Does the Cardinal have a Business Car? I don't see it listed when booking tickets.

Last - Does the Cardinal have outlets at each seat? My husband has a c-pap that he needs to sleep with.

No, if you get a room you get it to yourself. Cost depends on date, check on amtrak.com.

No business class.

Not sure on outlets. I plan on skipping the cpap when I take the train. One less thing to haul around, and I can handle a night or two without it.

Edit: The comment on outlets was with respect to a coach seat. All rooms have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're mentioning your husband and one person, I'll assume that he is the solo traveler. The price for three months out is a $74 base fare with $146 added for the roomette. There will definitely be an outlet, and NO you will not have to share a room. It should be a great trip whenever he goes, but book early because Cardinal sleepers ALWAYS sell out fast.

No Business Class

Emphasis on booking the Roomette early! Since the Cardinal only travels with one sleeper, I have never found a roomette available on the Cardinal when I've wanted one!

Thanks, I travel on amtrak more than my husband does, but he's thinking of coming here to Virginia in November. (he got a new job out in Lafayette, and I'm here in Virginia trying to sell our house :( )

So the questions were half for him and half for me, lol. I've never gotten a sleeper and the pict;ure they show shows two beds (upper and lower) so didn't know if you had to share - my husband probably wouldn't care, but I sure would!! lol.

Does anyone know for sure if the Cardinal Coach cars have outlets? I've only ridden Cardinal once and I'm not sure - I "thought" they did...

I do know the Northeast Regional Coach and Business cars both have two outlets at the window for each set of 2 seats (except the one train I rode that had the business 2/1 seating which I loved since I ride alone. they all still had outlets :) )

ASIDE: the superliner from Wash DC to Chicago did not have outlets at the seats- only at either the front or back of the car for the vacuum cleaners.... and in the cafe car or whatever you call it on the superliner - and although their seats looked bigger and cushier, I found them to be very uncomfortable. The only thing I really loved on the Superliner was the Observation Car. Wish they had those on every train!!!!

I was on the Cardinal today and all the coach cars had outlets at each seat. Every now and again you may get a coach car without outlets at every seat, especially on Superliners, but I think most of the Amfleets used on the Card have outlets.

I was on the Cardinal today and all the coach cars had outlets at each seat. Every now and again you may get a coach car without outlets at every seat, especially on Superliners, but I think most of the Amfleets used on the Card have outlets.
Correct! There may be an odd car or two still floating around that hasn't been upgraded, but I'd say that at least 95% of the cars have been retrofitted with outlets at every seat.

Since you were not too familiar with the roomette and the Cardinal - I might add my opinion as a somewhat seasoned Cardinal traveler. All of my trips on the Cardinal in a Roomette have been really nice. You can expect a "First Class" feel to the roomette. It's a lot like the interior on a private plane or a small executive jet. Also the scenery along the route is really nice - Blue Ridge mountains, farmland, huge tracks of cattle grazing in Augusta County, VA (much like Montana). It's earns a "10" for scenery, but overall it's a rather small, short train with just a few cars and no nice lounge car, or a diner with a true kitchen. Just microwaved food - a kitchenette, so to speak, but they do seat you, and take your order from a menu.... The Roomette includes all meals, drinks and deserts - beer and wine is extra, but you can bring your own in a Roomette. And sometimes I've even taken my own wine or beer to the dinning car - no problem. But usually I just purchase it there, it's reasonable pricing.

Since you were not too familiar with the roomette and the Cardinal - I might add my opinion as a somewhat seasoned Cardinal traveler. All of my trips on the Cardinal in a Roomette have been really nice. You can expect a "First Class" feel to the roomette. It's a lot like the interior on a private plane or a small executive jet. Also the scenery along the route is really nice - Blue Ridge mountains, farmland, huge tracks of cattle grazing in Augusta County, VA (much like Montana). It's earns a "10" for scenery, but overall it's a rather small, short train with just a few cars and no nice lounge car, or a diner with a true kitchen. Just microwaved food - a kitchenette, so to speak, but they do seat you, and take your order from a menu.... The Roomette includes all meals, drinks and deserts - beer and wine is extra, but you can bring your own in a Roomette. And sometimes I've even taken my own wine or beer to the dinning car - no problem. But usually I just purchase it there, it's reasonable pricing.
I would so love to get familiar with the roomette but alas it's a bit out of my price range. One of the reasons I take the train is that its usually quite a bit less expensive than air travel, but the roomette price pushes it quite a bit above that. I love traveling on the train except for the sleeping part. As an older woman, not only do the seats become a bit uncomfortable after a certain number of hours (due as much to my older bones as the construction of the seat) , but there's also so much stopping and people getting on and off, etc.

I find the pricing for the roomettes and sleepers to be extremely confusing on the website, I'm not sure why they can't just state a price rather than going into all the hoopla about paying for a coach seat then adding the price of the roomette and so on. I found a post once with someone who was quite upset because they thought the cost of the roomette included the price of a coach seat (i.e. that they got a coach seat as well) Why must they make that so confounding?

When I rode to Cardinal to Lafayette, I was quite delighted with the food in the dining car - I had a pasta dish and it was very good. And I was seated with two other single passengers - one was a much older lady who travels quite often to see her many grandchildren in different states and the other a young college age man who was traveling home from a friends wedding. Both were very congenial and had some good stories to share.

When I travel the Northeast Regional trains, I get a business seat - they're more spacious and on a couple of the trains they have completely different seats which I like quite a lot, especially the 2/1 seating since I can get a seat alone (not that I'm uncompanionable, but there are, at times, some odd characters traveling and sleeping at night can be a bit close. ) I wish the cardinal has a business car.

On all of the trains, I try to divy up my time between my seat and the cafe car to give my bones a change of seating - another thing I enjoy about train travel - you can get up and move around. The only trouble with that is that the cafe car isn't always open so you can get shooed away.

I've always been a bit bemused by the concept of the "quiet" car. I do understand the desire not to have cell phones going and children bouncing around, but train cars on the whole are simply not quiet. People are always walking through, including children - especially older children who find simply sitting in their seats boring and the concept of the dining car alluring. And then there are people going up and down to the rest room, and those doors are not at all quiet. I suppose I've been fortunate in that the only "disburbing" noise I've ever dealt with on the trains I've traveled, have been a gentleman who snored quite loudly and I'm afraid it would have been rather difficult for him to have turned that "off", lol.

Ah well, thank you so much for your information on the roomette. I do have one other question - I read in one place that if you're traveling alone you must pay for the other seat in there if you wish not to have a roommate - is that correct? Yet on other posts I've read that if traveling alone, you get the room to yourself. How does that work? Who knows one day I may splurge :)

Thanks so much :)

Ah well, thank you so much for your information on the roomette. I do have one other question - I read in one place that if you're traveling alone you must pay for the other seat in there if you wish not to have a roommate - is that correct? Yet on other posts I've read that if traveling alone, you get the room to yourself. How does that work? Who knows one day I may splurge :)

Thanks so much :)
No, if you pay for a sleeper, You can travel alone.

Good Luck & Have Fun

Exactly what the website tells you. It sounds like you are really overthinking this.

If you go to the website and tell it that you have 1 person wanting to go from C-ville to Lafayette, here's what you get (I just picked a random date):

roomette_price_1.png

That's what you pay to have the whole room to yourself.

If you put in 2 travelers, you get this:

roomette_price_2.png

That's what you pay for 2 of you to both use the room.

I find the pricing for the roomettes and sleepers to be extremely confusing on the website, I'm not sure why they can't just state a price rather than going into all the hoopla about paying for a coach seat then adding the price of the roomette and so on. I found a post once with someone who was quite upset because they thought the cost of the roomette included the price of a coach seat (i.e. that they got a coach seat as well) Why must they make that so confounding?
Well the simple answer is that they've always done it that way and no one has ever considered changing things. And it was done that way because years ago you paid the Railroad, be it UP, CSX, etc., to go from point A to point B and you paid Pullman for your room in the sleeping car. Yes, the ticket agent for the RR collected all of the money, and paid Pullman for you but that's why things were kept separate.

Amtrak simply continued that practice, probably in part because at least initially the inherited the RR's ticketing systems and probably in part to avoid confusing people with a switch.

Now they maintain it simply because it still makes it easier to track how much revenue goes to the sleeper and how much goes to the costs of operating the train to get you from A to B. Amtrak probably could simplify things at the passenger end while still tracking the revenue properly, but it would require some major reprogramming of the system and they probably just don't want to spend the time & money to redo things.

To your other question regarding the costs of the rooms, yes in some sense it could be argued that you are indeed paying more for the room if you ride solo, than if you have 2 people in the room. The room costs the same no matter how many you put into the room, so you can either look at it as the second person gets in for free or the first person pays for both. On the other hand, this is yet another reason that they still charge you the separate "railfare" as that way you aren't paying that amount for 2 people when you are traveling solo. You only pay the railfare for 2 if indeed there are 2 in the room.

Well, there's two different prices for a roomette on the Cardinal. Farther up the thread Johnny Menhennet said "Since you're mentioning your husband and one person, I'll assume that he is the solo traveler. The price for three months out is a $74 base fare with $146 added for the roomette. " that's a total of $220.00

Ryan above says that (on Jan 20 2012) the price is $74.00 plus $292. That's a total of $316.00

I went and tried several different dates within the next 3 months some had a price of $74.00 some a price of $98.00 and all I could find were $308.00 for the roomette. Quite a menagerie of prices for a vehicle that's going the same place.

So I went and checked the price to fly and it's $279.00. (orbitz - and it calculated several nearby airports with a price diff of $10.00 between them)

This is why Amtrak is losing money. Some people tke the train because they like the train. Most people take the train because its cheaper and that's why they're in a seat instead of a roomette or a bedroom. If you can fly you have to think - hmmm lets see, I can sit in a chair for 16 hours with a stranger next to me snoring his head off, if I do manage to doze off, the train lurches to a stop and the conductor is walking through the train telling people they have to share their seats, the doors are opening and shutting, my ;hips and back are killing me OR I can get a roomette for $316.00 OR I can fly and be there in 5 hours, not lose an entire day to travel, not need chiropractic intervention, and not pay as much for all the aforementioned joy.

Now heck, I really do love the train, but when you're facing a 16 hour ride, purchase your ticket well ahead of time yet don't know if there will be a seat for you when you get on (and yes that happened to me one time, my daughter and I were going from Richmond VA to Florida and when we got on, they didn't have enough seats and we had to use some kind of "jump" seat until someone got off. And the guy working muttering about how they "overbooked again".) The toilet is messed up (again, they say as they block that one off) , the lady beside me on one trip getting yelled at by the conductor because she moved from another seat where the man was talking constantly on his cell phone at the top of his lungs... ok, point is it's a long trip and you never know what you're going to get. and then you have to contend with a price one day of $74 and the next week $94.00... and the roomette price changes from $292, to 308. to 146. ???

grrrr

You're still over thinking. Prices change when you look at different days on the airlines too.

As far as overbooking, regardless of what some random passenger says, it almost never happens. At least when it does happen on a train, you can still travel. Compare that to the airlines where there is no way to take extra folks (and being oversold happens FAR more often).

You're still over thinking. Prices change when you look at different days on the airlines too.

As far as overbooking, regardless of what some random passenger says, it almost never happens. At least when it does happen on a train, you can still travel. Compare that to the airlines where there is no way to take extra folks (and being oversold happens FAR more often).
Well, I'm the random passenger and when it happens to you, its a whole different feeling. It happened to me the first time I rode the train so it was distressing, and when I rode to Boston last month it happened to several people who all had to go and sit in the cafe car.

Yep , they still got to travel, but not in what they paid for. On the airlines, if they overbook and inconvenience you usually get a free trip.

Also, every time I've ridden the train, I've been late. The only time I wasn't late was on the Cardinal going to Lalfayette, IN. we were spot on - RIGHT on time. But the trip back - 2 hours late.

When I rode the super liner to Illinois we were about 45 minutes late, but on the way back at 6am in the morning, they took us off the train and put us on a bus because the train was so late we were going to miss our connection with another train (but the funny thing was that the train caught up and got to the station just after we did, lol) (Also interesting was the reaction of the passengers who were put on the bus - there were three who were practically hysterical about it - two were complaining loudly and one was crying for an hour and a half!)

OK, so I'm not really sure what you're looking for then.

It happens more frequently on the NEC trains (which must be what you were on since it was going to Boston) because people can buy a pass that allows them to ride any train between two points. It shouldn't happen ever on the Long Distance trains (of which the Cardinal is one), because they only sell to the number of seats onboard.

Also, every time I've ridden the train, I've been late. The only time I wasn't late was on the Cardinal going to Lalfayette, IN. we were spot on - RIGHT on time.
Aren't these two statements completely contradictory? Yes, trains are late from time to time. So are airplanes. And buses.

This is why Amtrak is losing money. Some people tke the train because they like the train. Most people take the train because its cheaper and that's why they're in a seat instead of a roomette or a bedroom. If you can fly you have to think - hmmm lets see, I can sit in a chair for 16 hours with a stranger next to me snoring his head off, if I do manage to doze off, the train lurches to a stop and the conductor is walking through the train telling people they have to share their seats, the doors are opening and shutting, my ;hips and back are killing me OR I can get a roomette for $316.00 OR I can fly and be there in 5 hours, not lose an entire day to travel, not need chiropractic intervention, and not pay as much for all the aforementioned joy.

Now heck, I really do love the train, but when you're facing a 16 hour ride, purchase your ticket well ahead of time yet don't know if there will be a seat for you when you get on (and yes that happened to me one time, my daughter and I were going from Richmond VA to Florida and when we got on, they didn't have enough seats and we had to use some kind of "jump" seat until someone got off. And the guy working muttering about how they "overbooked again".) The toilet is messed up (again, they say as they block that one off) , the lady beside me on one trip getting yelled at by the conductor because she moved from another seat where the man was talking constantly on his cell phone at the top of his lungs... ok, point is it's a long trip and you never know what you're going to get. and then you have to contend with a price one day of $74 and the next week $94.00... and the roomette price changes from $292, to 308. to 146. ???

grrrr
Ok let me try to make it very simple for you-

If you want to save money, you travel coach. Pay between $74 and $98 (just examples) depending on peak season or not, and you get a seat. It is bigger and more comfortable than plane seats, but technically it is still a seat. You sit and travel for 16 hours. No sleeping.

If you want to fly, you pay around $279 and you get a seat. A narrow seat. You sit and travel for 5 hours and be done with it.

On the other hand, if you pay $292 to $308, you can get a roomette on Amtrak. Private cabin, bed to sleep, all meals included. You travel comfortably for 16 hours.

Three clear choices- cheap but long sitting travel, expensive but short sitting travel, expensive but long comfortable sleeping travel.

A question on a sort of related note...On the Cardinal, what with the limited capacity of the dinette/lounge, are coach passengers even offered a seating for the "diner" part of that car? My best friend and I are traveling from Ashland, KY to Washington and back in January. I'd like to maybe at least have one meal in the sit down part of the dinette, but is that even offered to coach passengers, or exclusively for the sleeper folks on the Card?

I can't say for certain, as I've always been in a sleeper on the Cardinal, but I seem to remember some passengers paying for their meals. (Meaning they were coach passengers.) I don't know if they take reservations in coach or how they do it on that train.

OK, so I'm not really sure what you're looking for then.

Also, every time I've ridden the train, I've been late. The only time I wasn't late was on the Cardinal going to Lafayette, IN. we were spot on - RIGHT on time.
Aren't these two statements completely contradictory? Yes, trains are late from time to time. So are airplanes. And buses.
No they aren't completely contradictory. BUT if will make it more understandable for you, I will rephrase the above statement to

" Every time I've ridden the train except for ONE time, I've been late. That ONE time was on the Cardinal going to Lafayette..... "

I've taken the train many times and only been on time once.

I've flown many times and only been LATE once (the plane had a maintenance problem and had to be taken out - we had to wait several hours for another flight and got a free ticket to ride again)

I never ride the bus if I can help it, I hate them, the only time I've ridden a bus since I've been grown (which is a long long time, hehe) is when the train was so late it put us on a bus so we'd make it to Washington in time to make our connecting train (and there was a long layover there for our next train!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back