2011 coupons expire 2/29/12 and must be USED by then!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
Since it's the end of the year, and many of us have excess and to be unused upgrade certificates and/or CA/ML day passes, instead of having many threads, let's try to combine them into this one only!
smile.gif
It will be much easier for anyone to find these items! (Note that these expire 2/29/12!)

Maybe this thread will be pinned later to keep it at the top!

Another note: The coupons do have the member's name and AGR number printed on them, but they are fully transferable for FREE - they just can't be sold!
cool.gif
So they must be a gift ONLY! (Remember that here at AU, we are all one dis-functional family!
biggrin.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
They're strictly non-LD...I think with the odd exception of upgrading to BC on the Palmetto. Basically, they don't apply for sleepers.

Can the upgrade certs be used for anything on the LD network or are they strictly a commuter corridor option?
They are "one class upgrades" - but it does not include an upgrade to sleepers!
sad.gif
It is good from coach to BC, but if the "upgrade" is only $10, the coupon is worth $10! The best use of these is on Acela where going from BC to First "costs" like $100+! And if traveling between Select City Pairs, your AGR earnings go from 500 AGR points to 750 AGR points!
cool.gif

I must also place a limit of 1 per customer to be fair to all!
smile.gif

I still have 1 day pass and 3 upgrades left!

Can the upgrade certs be used for anything on the LD network or are they strictly a commuter corridor option?
They are "one class upgrades" - but it does not include an upgrade to sleepers!
sad.gif
It is good from coach to BC, but if the "upgrade" is only $10, the coupon is worth $10! The best use of these is on Acela where going from BC to First "costs" like $100+! And if traveling between Select City Pairs, your AGR earnings go from 500 AGR points to 750 AGR points!
cool.gif

I must also place a limit of 1 per customer to be fair to all!
smile.gif

I still have 1 day pass and 3 upgrades left!
Dave,

I sent you a PM.

Dovecote

I have two 12-hour upgrades available for anyone willing to do one of the following experiments:

1. Attempt to upgrade a YE or YF bucket coach fare (deep discount coach that's usually not upgradeable at booking). For instance, tickets purchased on Rail Sale, the NEC 3-day sale, or the NEC 14-day advance purchase.

2. Attempt to upgrade an adult and half-fare child traveling with you.

The certs remain yours whether you succeed or fail. All I ask is that you make the genuine effort and report the results to AU for the benefit of all.

I have two 12-hour upgrades available for anyone willing to do one of the following experiments:

1. Attempt to upgrade a YE or YF bucket coach fare (deep discount coach that's usually not upgradeable at booking). For instance, tickets purchased on Rail Sale, the NEC 3-day sale, or the NEC 14-day advance purchase.

2. Attempt to upgrade an adult and half-fare child traveling with you.

The certs remain yours whether you succeed or fail. All I ask is that you make the genuine effort and report the results to AU for the benefit of all.
At one point two years ago when the fares started I booked a trip from PHL-RTE and was able to get a seat in BC and keep the low bucket. It took some over riding but the ticket agent made it happen! :) Those were the one hour coupons though. Not sure on a 12 hour.

All my coupons are gone
sad.gif
Thank you for playing "The Giveaway, Part I"!
biggrin.gif

I'm almost 100% sure in the next few weeks that there'll be many more offers!
smile.gif

FYI: To use the upgrade certificates, you MUST purchase a FULL FARE ticket!
excl.gif
Use of any discounts (like AAA on a weekend AE) disqualifies use of an upgrade certificate! And you can not upgrade with these to a sleeper!
sad.gif

At one point two years ago when the fares started I booked a trip from PHL-RTE and was able to get a seat in BC and keep the low bucket. It took some over riding but the ticket agent made it happen! :) Those were the one hour coupons though. Not sure on a 12 hour.

As each year's coupons use different promo codes, it's more likely that any policy changes implemented in Arrow over the past 2 years would be more relevant than the upgrades being 1, 12, or 48 hours. I do wonder whether the overrides that your ticket agent performed were a straight manual price, or a manual price plus change of fare bucket to allow the upgrade to be honored. My impression was that any F (standard) type rider, regardless of fare basis, could easily be changed to CS and be manually priced into the prevailing bucket, so that a YE 14-day advance could move to a JD/JC/JA/J bucket.

I wonder whether Amtrak has an official policy on upgrading a "non-upgradeable" fare with AGR coupons. On the one hand, all tickets become upgradeable onboard, and the coupons can be considered an extension of that privilege. On the other hand, limitations on the coupons' use (e.g. not valid with other discounts) suggest that the prevailing fare rules—no upgrades before boarding—would apply.

If anyone has one spare upgrade coupon, I could use one. Going to visit family in Chicago.

Thank you to whoever has a spare.

I have the following to give away. PM me.

One-Class Upgrade Coupon -- 3 2 1 Sorry, all gone now.

Single-Day Pass to ClubAcela or Receive a 10% Amtrak Discount -- 3 2

If anyone has a pair of CA access coupons to spare, it looks like this person could really use some:

http://discuss.amtra...845#entry332845

If she joins the site, you guys can use PMs to work the details out.
If she does not have a ticket for the baby, maybe she could use a companion coupon also.
An 11 month old does not need a ticket, nor does she receive a seat automatically! So if coach is filled, she may have to be held the entire trip!
ohmy.gif

If anyone has a pair of CA access coupons to spare, it looks like this person could really use some:

http://discuss.amtra...845#entry332845

If she joins the site, you guys can use PMs to work the details out.
If she does not have a ticket for the baby, maybe she could use a companion coupon also.
An 11 month old does not need a ticket, nor does she receive a seat automatically! So if coach is filled, she may have to be held the entire trip!
ohmy.gif
If she had a ticket - even if not required, could the still deny her a seat if the train were full? It does not seem right

ohmy.gif
If she had a ticket - even if not required, could the still deny her a seat if the train were full? It does not seem right
No, then she would be entitled to a seat.

That's the gamble:

1. Not pay for a ticket, and maybe not have a 2nd seat on a full train, or
  2. Pay the extra cost for an un-needed ticket for an 11 month old.

I wonder whether Amtrak has an official policy on upgrading a "non-upgradeable" fare with AGR coupons. On the one hand, all tickets become upgradeable onboard, and the coupons can be considered an extension of that privilege. On the other hand, limitations on the coupons' use (e.g. not valid with other discounts) suggest that the prevailing fare rules—no upgrades before boarding—would apply.
The coupon can only be handled in advance. A conductor cannot accept the coupon onboard the train and provide you with a free upgrade.

I could definitely use your upgrade coupons if they are still available? Thanks!

To Guest_GMW and any other guests: You can not send a PM (Private Message) to another member, and I would not recommend that you post your address or email address in public. I would suggest that you become a member of AU (there is no charge
cool.gif
), and then you can PM the member easily!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back