2013 S, S+ & SE Packets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My S+ packet arrived today.

Contrary to some of the hand-wringing expressed here at AU by some posters, the packet looks very, very similar to previous packets. There is the pitch to become SE, but other than that it is pretty much the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my Select Plus package today also. (no luggage tags - same as last year)

I received my Select Plus package today also. (no luggage tags - same as last year)
That's right - the luggage tags... I'd forgotten about those. I never found them all that useful, as they didn't 'stay on' very well. I liked the concept, but they do no good if they fall off.

I got my S+ packet today as well. Membership card, coupons, no luggage tags. Pretty similar to last year -- but the interior of the folder does have a blurb that begins "Next stop: our newest, most elite tier, Select Executive". It lists bullet points describing the program, and then points to AmtrakGuestRewards.com/Info for more.

I received my S+ packet today as well. It included 4 upgrade coupons and 2 companion coupons.

What exactly are all the coupons and quanities? The coupons get better as you move up the tier scale?
They get better between Select & Select Plus; Select Exec just gets you more of the Select Plus coupons.

For Select, you get IIRC, 3 12 hour free upgrade coupons that you can use to upgrade a coach seat to a BC seat or an Acela BC seat to Acela FC within 12 hours of departure and assuming that there are such seats left on the train for sale. You also get 2 or 3 coupons that can either be used for a 10% discount on coach fares or entry into a Metro or CA lounge for 1 day.

Select Plus get you 4 48 hour free upgrade coupons and 2 companion coupons, where you buy one rail fare and get the other for free. Note: The latter can not be used in conjunction with a sleeper reservation.

My SE packet arrived yesterday, as well - no paper coupons, of course, but a reminder that 4 upgrades and 2 companion coupons will be automatically added to my account on March 1st.

SE get electronic coupons, IIRC, because they also get an additional upgrade coupon every 3,000 points.
While SE do indeed get additional coupons as they earn points throughout the year, that's not the real reason that they're getting eCoupons. The SE group is small enough that they provided a nice test bed for the eCoupons, such that if something went badly wrong the repercussions wouldn't be as bad as it would if AGR had rolled eCoupons out to everyone.

Baring any snags or major problems, all levels should see eCoupons come next year.

Very interesting, now do you see that somewhere on a profile of yours, or do you just get an email of the quantity and just keep mental note or call in when you wanna see how much of each you have?

Very interesting, now do you see that somewhere on a profile of yours, or do you just get an email of the quantity and just keep mental note or call in when you wanna see how much of each you have?
For SE members, it lists your available coupons right next to your points balance on amtrakguestrewards.com, as well as on your account summary page. Each coupon has a unique ID, as well as the SE AGR phone number, and an option to print it out to use at a station. Even though they're electronic coupons, you still need to interact with a ticket agent (either in person or over the phone) to redeem.

For SE members, it lists your available coupons right next to your points balance on amtrakguestrewards.com, as well as on your account summary page. Each coupon has a unique ID, as well as the SE AGR phone number, and an option to print it out to use at a station. Even though they're electronic coupons, you still need to interact with a ticket agent (either in person or over the phone) to redeem.
So then they sound to be just like the coupons any AGR member can earn through either the 'Take 3, Get 1 Free' Acela or the "Take 2, Get 1 Free" NER offers that AGR is running right now, correct?

They are listed with them, yes. it says Vouchers/Coupons on the little window in the corner of the screen on the Amtrak page. Of course I do not know what the new coupons you get for being select executive are going to look like on the screen yet, but the ones you earn every 3000 points are called "Select Executive Earned Upgrades", and show up on the same page as vouchers earned from the 2 for 1 and 3 for one sales.

I'm excited. I'll have 14 e coupons by months end!

Contrary to some of the hand-wringing expressed here at AU by some posters, the packet looks very, very similar to previous packets. There is the pitch to become SE, but other than that it is pretty much the same.
You have to give these things some time to take full effect. Some of of us have been playing the loyalty game for decades. A whole lot has changed since the early days, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. The only constant is that nothing in the loyalty game stays the same forever.

I've been in loyalty programs for over 20 years, about 10 in AGR, so what? Change happens. Big changes did not happen to AGR this year. There will be big changes to AGR at some point in the future. :excl: :eek: :excl: Could be next year, could be 20. Change happens, most asuredly.

Back