3 Points/Dollar: AGR Mastercard Purchases (ended 12/31/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my TQPs have now mostly posted in good order (2000 showed up), so it looks like I'll just have to bulldoze my way to SE.

It's a BofA program.  How much involvement Amtrak/AGR had is unclear.  Remember, functionally (IIRC) BofA buys a large sum of points which it then "sells" to credit card users for using the card.

It's a BofA program.  How much involvement Amtrak/AGR had is unclear.  Remember, functionally (IIRC) BofA buys a large sum of points which it then "sells" to credit card users for using the card.
It is a BoA program, but apparently quite a few BoA agents don’t know that. I emphasize that if anyone else hasn’t gotten the bonus points and is calling to have that fixed, DO NOT let them route you to AGR.

This promotion was too good to pass up. I spent a lot of money on non-perishables, buying through the portal whenever I could.

I also (ahem) paid my 2019 real estate taxes and (ahem) my estimated income taxes using the credit card. Yeah, I had to pay a "convenience fee" for those two, but it was cheaper than buying points outright, and through all these purchases, I accumulated enough points for a bedroom in one zone travel.

Oh, wait....

I couldnt wait any longer & called B of A again. They said that they had sent me a letter on the 18th which I have not received (this is the 22nd)!!! The rep told me they will be correcting my account on the next billing cycle (the next time they post my points) which should be Jan 6 or 7! Looks like I have another 2 weeks to wait!!!  Glad I dont need those points for a quick trip! ( but I guess I shouldnt complain IF I end up getting the Pts.!)  :eek:hboy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked my account and it looks like the points posted "as advertised."

I couldnt wait any longer & called B of A again. They said that they had sent me a letter on the 18th which I have not received (this is the 22nd)!!! The rep told me they will be correcting my account on the next billing cycle (the next time they post my points) which should be Jan 6 or 7! Looks like I have another 2 weeks to wait!!!  Glad I dont need those points for a quick trip! ( but I guess I shouldnt complain IF I end up getting the Pts.!)  :eek:hboy:
So I guess they just pulled that 10-14 day figure out of thin air? It really seems odd that you’re getting different answers each time you call. I recommend you call them again, just to see if you get the same answer two times in a row...

I would not hesitate to take things up the chain with BoA. I once had a situation where I had a simple question (does a certain vendor count as "other travel") and the rep put me on hold, then came back and said it was an Amtrak question and he'd be bringing in an Amtrak person, then simply forwarded my call to AGR and hung up. I couldn't believe it. So I submitted a complaint and was contacted by an exec at BoA who was familiar with my call (she'd clearly listened to a recording of it) and was incredibly apologetic and told me they'd be "taking care of it internally." I felt pretty satisfied.

Well,Well,Well, I called BofA this morning and spoke with a manager. He informed me that I was not eligible for this promotion (neither card). He said they had contacted Amtrak to see who was eligible & I was not on the list! When I asked to talk with someone  else, he said there was no one else!!! Then he said "Have a great day"

Well,Well,Well, I called BofA this morning and spoke with a manager. He informed me that I was not eligible for this promotion (neither card). He said they had contacted Amtrak to see who was eligible & I was not on the list! When I asked to talk with someone  else, he said there was no one else!!! Then he said "Have a great day"
Oh crap. Maybe you’ll get a different answer if you call again? I’m freaking out right now.  :unsure:

The number for Amtrak Customer Relations is just the regular 1-800 number, and then ask the agent to be connected to Customer Relations.

I do not understand that manager’s explanation. You mean there is “a list” that has thousands of names of who is “eligible” and who is not? :huh:  He is saying that the list is given to EVERY manager at BOA in EVERY location and he read the ENTIRE list? :huh:

Do you think calling Customer Relations would help? Anyone have that phone #?
Perhaps. I see this program as a BofA program. How were members somehow missed, dropped, excluded? BofA knows who the AGR members are (your number is on your card) just as AGR knows who the members are.

"Not eligible"? The "list"? The list is the full membership list. Every member is eligible was my understanding AND, everyone is automatically registered!

AGR and/or BofA missed something (dropped members) here regarding "registering" members for this promo.

The list is probably an AGR # list.?.? What aggravates me are the reps (both BofA & AGR)that know nothing of the Promo, especially the BofA rep who said my points would be corrected the next billing cycle & later a manager told me that was not true!!!! Which means the rep was giving me a BS Story!!! I hope no one else gets this Song & Dance Crap, it's very frustrating (to be nice)!!!

Do you think calling Customer Relations would help? Anyone have that phone #?
Perhaps. I see this program as a BofA program. How were members somehow missed, dropped, excluded? BofA knows who the AGR members are (your number is on your card) just as AGR knows who the members are.

"Not eligible"? The "list"? The list is the full membership list. Every member is eligible was my understanding AND, everyone is automatically registered!

AGR and/or BofA missed something (dropped members) here regarding "registering" members for this promo.
This! Or maybe they’re just being dishonest and assumed that most people wouldn’t check to see if the points posted, and so they could promise them to everyone but not give them to some. I don’t know the whole story, but it’s really really frustrating, regardless of the actual reason for it. The promo literally says “Your card is already activated for this offer. No action is needed.” That seems pretty clear to me, so in my opinion, BoA is either completely incompetent or dishonest. Either way, I’m pissed. :angry:

Back