# 5 and #6 service disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having rode Amtrak 50 years, it seems that last 5 or 6 years it is announced disabled freight ahead but have found out that is code for we are now running freights and letting Amtrak sit. They tried that on the CN from Chicago to New Orleans a few years ago. Senator Durbin got a dispatcher fired and then Amtrak was on time into Chicago. Then they started being late 2 or 3 hours again. He called for a meeting with CN at Champaign IL but railroad didn't show up. About a week later federal investigators stopped a freight on the main track for a about 2 hours! Now Amtrak runs on time unless due to a legitimate reason!!
It's on time today heading into Reno for the first time in 2 weeks. Thanks for explanation - makes perfect underhanded sense for all the freight RR's on the CZ's route, particularly the Union Pacific. Yesterday there was another "disabled" UP freight train that delayed the CZ for over 2 hours outside SLC.

Last edited:
Why would Amtrak lie though, and say a disabled freight train instead of freight train interference?

Why would Amtrak lie though, and say a disabled freight train instead of freight train interference?
It is not clear to me what exactly is being claimed here. Is the claim that what Amtrak reports in its Host railroad Scorecard tries to give a pass to the host railroad? If that is the claim we would like to see more documented evidence than anecdotes in support of such. If not, well then I have no idea who is saying "disable freight" to whom, and how that matters in the bigger scheme of things.

It is not clear to me what exactly is being claimed here. Is the claim that what Amtrak reports in its Host railroad Scorecard tries to give a pass to the host railroad? If that is the claim we would like to see more documented evidence than anecdotes in support of such. If not, well then I have no idea who is saying "disable freight" to whom, and how that matters in the bigger scheme of things.
If I am understanding correctly, what someone is suggesting is that someone is telling Amtrak that freight trains are disabled when it’s really just normal interference. Or Amtrak is wrongly saying it’s disabled when it’s not but they know it.

If I am understanding correctly, what someone is suggesting is that someone is telling Amtrak that freight trains are disabled when it’s really just normal interference. Or Amtrak is wrongly saying it’s disabled when it’s not but they know it.
That is puzzling as far as the official host railroad performance metrics go, since freight interference and disabled freight both are counted under host railroad caused delay minutes. So it would not matter what anyone says. As long it causes a delay it is the host railroad's responsibility.

Maybe the delays in Utah/Nevada on the CZ are getting similar attention. Today, #5 went from SJC to Reno and only picked up a 30 minute delay...

Amtrak is getting info from host RR I think. That's one explanation. And perhaps, I don't know for a fact, disabled train designation relieves host RR from honoring Amtrak's right of way. Whereas train interference does not.

Amtrak is getting info from host RR I think. That's one explanation. And perhaps, I don't know for a fact, disabled train designation relieves host RR from honoring Amtrak's right of way. Whereas train interference does not.
But don’t the conductors and engineers know that it isn’t an actual disabled freight train? I don’t think the conductors and engineers of freight railroads have anything against Amtrak, only management.

But don’t the conductors and engineers know that it isn’t an actual disabled freight train? I don’t think the conductors and engineers of freight railroads have anything against Amtrak, only management.
I agree with you. But train movements are coming through dispatchers who report info to management who, in turn, report officially to Amtrak. And whatever conductors and engineers think may not fall into the reporting equation. At least that's my understanding. So there might be a little hedging going on as to whether a freight is disabled or is merely interfering and Amtrak might not be aggressive as it should be into probing this. Of course, this is only a theory but it would help explain how freight RR's aren't honoring Amtrak's right of way.

Last edited:
I agree with you. But train movements are coming through dispatchers who report info to management who, in turn, report officially to Amtrak. And whatever conductors and engineers think may not fall into the reporting equation. At least that's my understanding. So there might be a little hedging going on as to whether a freight is disabled or is merely interfering and Amtrak might not be aggressive as it should be into probing this. Of course, this is only a theory but it would help explain how freight RR's aren't honoring Amtrak's right of way.

Freight dispatchers aren’t going to be in on some grand, secret plot to lie to Amtrak management over the status of a particular train. And it’s usually pretty obvious to a train crew what is going on, based on a combination of radio traffic, signals, and other train movements. And if it’s not, there’s nothing stopping the engineer from getting on the radio and asking.

This whole discussion thread is some kind of crazy search for a conspiracy theory where none need exist.

Having rode Amtrak 50 years, it seems that last 5 or 6 years it is announced disabled freight ahead but have found out that is code for we are now running freights and letting Amtrak sit. They tried that on the CN from Chicago to New Orleans a few years ago. Senator Durbin got a dispatcher fired and then Amtrak was on time into Chicago. Then they started being late 2 or 3 hours again. He called for a meeting with CN at Champaign IL but railroad didn't show up. About a week later federal investigators stopped a freight on the main track for a about 2 hours! Now Amtrak runs on time unless due to a legitimate reason!!

Durbin got a dispatcher fired? Really? I highly doubt that he got that much into the weeds.

And whatever conductors and engineers think may not fall into the reporting equation.

Another note on this comment: Amtrak crews absolutely do factor into the reporting equation. The calculation and attribution of delays are almost entirely based on conductors’ delay reports, which they now submit in almost real time thanks to their mobile devices (before that, conductors would fill out a paper delay report sheet). These indicate exactly how long it should take between different locations (not scheduled time, but theoretical best run time).

Any minutes above that best time have to be accounted for by the conductor. That’s generally the basis for a lot of the “report cards” that Amtrak issues for how various host railroads handle them.

Back