5 in a Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally understand your situation. Last spring just prior to our first train trip, we had to take a flight for a funeral. The return flight was difficult.

There was a couple with a toddler who alternated between sleeping & crying through the flight.

At first I was frustrated that the child seemed to not stop crying-they kept shoving food in his mouth every time he cried.

It then dawned on me they really can't go anywhere to quiet him.

I was sitting a few rows back, so I tried to catch his eye & distract him with peek a boo. That helped for a while.

The flight was only 1 1/2 hours. As much as I love kids, it was hard for me to hear him crying so much. (We have kids & grandkids)

It confirmed to me that we really wanted to try the train-at least on a train, we or the toddler would be able to move about, which will help a lot.

There's no ban of toddlers or children in the sleepers.

I think that some here that the possiblity of a constantly crying child concerns them.

I think there's always that chance, but most of the time, I would think the train will have a calming effect on a toddler because it sways gently like a rocker.

You can always close the door on the roomette, too.

If you choose to stay with coach, you may want to think about getting seats on the lower level. It's a smaller area, & bit more private. We saw families downstairs in coach putting the chairs in the recline position, putting sheets & blankets just like a bed. They looked like they were having fun!

You can call Amtrak back and see if they will put you on a waiting list for the family bedroom. If any room is canceled, it goes back into the system at the lowest price.
Thanks for the well-thought out suggestions - you are so right! It is embarrassing and nerve-wracking to have a fussing or active child in public just b/c of people the the ones below. :rolleyes: I thought train travel would be preferable to air simply for the reasons you provided. Thank you again for your response.

. Those who have no family and scoff at others have simply forgotten that they themselves were once ill-behaved toddlers who soiled their pants and needed mommy to change them. :)

sorry I may have pooped and peed my pants, however my mother raised me not to be ill-behaved. when I miss behaved I got spanked, actually pretty sure I got my a$$ kicked. I was never allowed to act out, misbehave, be a spoiled brat in public; ever. More parents need to do this rather than smiled 'aren't they cute and kids will be kids'

Traveling with your kid is not a right, you're lucky you can do it. So if you are going to do it please do it with respect and parent your child. Allowing them to be ill-behaved and saying kids will be kids....or even worse 'wait to you have your own'

Which is such a cowardly and disgusting copout. Rude too

Parent them and make sure they behave, or if not drive. The world does not revolve around you and your kids.

and if this sound bit@hy blame the pain meds, I just had a tumor removed.
Was it a brain tumor? :huh:

Just kidding. :lol:

I am not going to beat a 16 month old child for crying. Actually, it's against the law. I never said they were "spoiled brats" - I said they were kids and if you had any, you'd realize that they aren't adults and therein lies the problem. And I think we have just as much right as you to travel. I said the room would be nice to contain a toddler and a private are for changing/napping. Nowhere in there did I display permissive parenting or spoiled brats.

I am not the one displaying rude manners here. ;)

Why do people think they have some sort of providence to cheat the system.

Airlines would NEVER stand for a rotation into and out of First Class like this. Why should AMTRAK.

Pay for TWO ROOMS, or sit in coach.

With respect, I think we all need to lighten up a little.

All she is asking is the best way to ride the train, for the least amount, and with the comfort of her family & others in mind.

I think most of us would agree with her on this.

Don't we all want to get the best value for what we spend & not have it be a hassle?

I really think coach would work out best keeping in mind the cost factor, with a possibility of upgrade to a family bedroom if reasonably priced.

If you book the roomette, ask to be placed on a waiting list for the family bedroom, it might work for you.

The privacy/diaper changing issue can be done in the downstairs ladies bathroom, which is larger. (If your coach has one, it's labeled ladies lounge)

If your toddler does get fussy, there are plenty of visual distractions that may help.

I think though, the chances are low that it would be an issue at all.

As I mentioned before, the flight with a toddler was tough. I can't imagine how the adults with him could handle it, they seemed pretty frustrated too.

. Those who have no family and scoff at others have simply forgotten that they themselves were once ill-behaved toddlers who soiled their pants and needed mommy to change them. :)

sorry I may have pooped and peed my pants, however my mother raised me not to be ill-behaved. when I miss behaved I got spanked, actually pretty sure I got my a$$ kicked. I was never allowed to act out, misbehave, be a spoiled brat in public; ever. More parents need to do this rather than smiled 'aren't they cute and kids will be kids'

Traveling with your kid is not a right, you're lucky you can do it. So if you are going to do it please do it with respect and parent your child. Allowing them to be ill-behaved and saying kids will be kids....or even worse 'wait to you have your own'

Which is such a cowardly and disgusting copout. Rude too

Parent them and make sure they behave, or if not drive. The world does not revolve around you and your kids.

and if this sound bit@hy blame the pain meds, I just had a tumor removed.

Sound like you are asking for some compasion or understanding.

My child has a minor disability and at times becomes ill-behaved. I believe I am a good parent and a good citizen and would apologize to all passengers if some slight issue should arise. Most people have compassion and understanding, and I have rarely gotten dirty looks.

Lets all try to get along and stop the insults. Lower your expectations when traveling, it willl make the trip easier and keep your health. If a passenger curses, I pretend not to hear it. If someone's child cries, I sing a song in my head. If my seat gets kicked, I turn around and ask them to stop and leave it at that. People are not perfect and the pet-peeves are not worth the rise in blood pressure.

and if this sounds unmalicious, blame it on CSX and Amtrak for not clearing the tracks in the NE. :)

Hope you feel better soon, Mercedeslove :)

With respect, I think we all need to lighten up a little.All she is asking is the best way to ride the train, for the least amount, and with the comfort of her family & others in mind.

Don't we all want to get the best value for what we spend & not have it be a hassle?

I really think coach would work out best keeping in mind the cost factor, with a possibility of upgrade to a family bedroom if reasonably priced.

If you book the roomette, ask to be placed on a waiting list for the family bedroom, it might work for you.

The privacy/diaper changing issue can be done in the downstairs ladies bathroom, which is larger. (If your coach has one, it's labeled ladies lounge)

If your toddler does get fussy, there are plenty of visual distractions that may help.

As I mentioned before, the flight with a toddler was tough. I can't imagine how the adults with him could handle it, they seemed pretty frustrated too.
They should have packed a flask!

(Just kidding) :lol:

Thank you so much sunchaser for your helpful suggestions - I think that's what we'll do if we decide to go the train route. I appreciate your insight and for your empathetic remarks.

IDon'tFly - our son has a disability as well. I didn't think it was important to mention before b/c it really shouldn't have had any relevance and I didn't want to say it later to throw it in the face of some of the kid-haters cuz I'm bigger than that, but, from one parent to another - I understand the challenges and difficulties in raising a child with even a minor disability.

Our son has very limited verbal skills and gets frustrated easily. He cries because he can't get his point across verbally. We're pretty good at interpreting his needs, but, sometimes we just don't get it right.

Anyway, thanks for your post - it's nice to know there are others out there who have to go through the same things. :)

I'm quite unhappy with some of the replies here in this topic. So I want to take a moment to remind everyone why this forum exists. Many years ago, a very young Anthony saw a lack of information on the internet about Amtrak. Amtrak's own website revealed very little about Amtrak. So Anthony created a static website that had pictures and some tips that he'd learned already at his young age about riding Amtrak.

As the Internet evolved and software became more sophisticated, he put up his first forum which made it easy for people to come and ask questions about Amtrak. Questions that they couldn't get answers to elsewhere. That first forum evolved into what we have here today.

This forum has become a "hang out" of sorts for rail fans, kind of a necessity anyhow as it is the railfans who typically have the answers that new riders are seeking, and it makes life far more interesting too. But that doesn't change the fact that one of the primary reasons this forum still exists is so people like Andhemakesthree, can come to ask questions. So I'm quite dismayed to see some of the decidedly negative posts that I see here. Andhemakesthree came here seeking answers and help. While that has been forthcoming, so have some decidedly negative posts. Andhemakesthree is looking for a way to try to minimize the impact of their small child on other, yet has been soundly put down for trying to do that. Andhemakesthree has even been told that they're a bad parent.

Andhemakesthree came here seeking help, which is why this forum exists, and sadly got far more than just the help expected. :( If people seeking help keep getting some of the same types of responses that Andhemakesthree got, this forum will eventually fail at doing one of its primary jobs. And perhaps its reason to exist will go away too along with those seeking advice.

We don't have many rules here especially compared to some other forums, something that most seem to like, but being civil towards others is one of our few rules. And I think that we failed at that goal this time around. :(

So I urge all to take a deep breath and think a bit about things before posting again.

With respect, I think we all need to lighten up a little.All she is asking is the best way to ride the train, for the least amount, and with the comfort of her family & others in mind.

They should have packed a flask!

(Just kidding) :lol:

Thank you so much sunchaser for your helpful suggestions - I think that's what we'll do if we decide to go the train route. I appreciate your insight and for your empathetic remarks.
MMMMM Flask..... FYI you can bring alcohol to be consumed ONLY in your sleeper.....

You're welcome. I can understand your frustration. We didn't start taking the train until last year, but we have talked off & on about bringing the grandkids & face the same issues with where to put them. It would get pretty expensive really quickly. I know they would behave for us, it would be the cost issue. At this time, we have enjoyed the trips w/o having to worry about having them along too. We would of course have to supervise them at all times!

You can call Amtrak back and see if they will put you on a waiting list for the family bedroom. If any room is canceled, it goes back into the system at the lowest price.
This sounds like a grand idea; doesn't cost anything to be put on the list, and it might come through for you, but if it doesn't you're no worse off.

One small note, if a room is canceled it goes back into the system at whatever price it was originally sold. That could be the lowest price, or it could be the highest price, or anything in between. You might get a super sweet last-minute deal, you might get the opportunity to book the room but at a high price, or (... most likely) there won't be a cancellation so this is all academic.

Regardless, being on the waiting list can't hurt :)

A few more (constructive, I hope) comments:

If you upgrade to one roomette, you should be allowed to have one adult, the lap child, and one other child "legally" in the room. The onboard crew may allow more than that, but if other passengers complain due to noise/bustle (even if it's just the toddler--who has a right to be there--crying) they might rescind that and restrict you to the authorized limit of people in the roomette.

Random thought: You could request a roomette on the lower level (Roomettes 11 thru 14). Since the family rooms are occupied, there might already be some "child-related" noise in the area, or at least people who understand that toddlers simply don't stay quiet 24 hours a day.

When we've travelled in roomettes with a toddler, we just reclined both seats in the roomette to create a sort of "playpen". One parent would hang out in that roomette with the toddler while the other parent and older child were in a second roomette across the hall.

Even 1 parent, 1 child, and 1 toddler in a roomette will be very tight. You can lower the upper berth to create the "unofficial Amtrak play fort" up top, but the space up there is limited and there is no window to look outside. It should work for napping (NOT the toddler... I wouldn't let him on the upper berth at all), watching a DvD player, or chilling out with the iPod, though. One other note of caution, putting down the upper berth also restricts the amount of space below it. I'm short (5'7") and can sit fully upright in the seat below the lowered berth... but just barely.

Sleeping arrangements: The two berths in the roomette are narrow (2'4") and REALLY narrow (2'0"). One parent and the toddler could probably squeeze in the lower berth (How is it that toddlers--and cats--can be so small yet take up SO MUCH real estate on a bed?), but I don't think both daughters would be able to sleep in the upper berth. I might let one sleep in the upper berth at night and then let the one who suffered through the night in coach with daddy get some make-up Z's after breakfast.

Meals: The roomette occupants get meals included. That should be one adult and one child (I'm not sure about the toddler... but maybe he's still on milk/formula/baby food). You shouldn't try to get both adult meals for free if you want to stay within the rules. The roomette occupants should be able to make a dinner reservation for everyone, then use a daughter (or cell phone/text msg?) to relay it to those travelling in "steerage". For breakfast and lunch (usually no reservations) I'd just meet up in the lounge and enter the dining car all together.

Overall, I still recommend saving for a trip when the whole family can be in a sleeper car. It would eliminate the hassle of coordinating between the sleeper/coach crowds, reduce the chances of losing or leaving something behind, and allow for a more relaxing trip (which is one of the biggest pluses of train travel, in my opinion). Again, hope the trip goes well however the accomodations work out.

Thanks for the tip guys! I didn't know there was a waiting list. :)

and to ceblack because that is one awesomely thoughtful post chock full of awesome tips - THANK YOU!! (I was just thinking this morning of which kid to use for the relay LOL)

Special thanks too to Alan!

Maybe you should consider the possibility of a regular bedroom as a mid point between roomette and family room. If you can swing it financially, it will give you more floor space. Given the size of the children, Amtrak may be more willing to go along with it. I would try it, but then we had a Gremlin from the time we had one child up until we had five, and even traveled in it with the 5 - youngest a baby.

I think I need to edit my original post b/c many of you are not realizing that we are not all going to be in the room at the same time as we ride along. They will only upgrade TWO of the FIVE passengers, thereby leaving at least a couple back in coach at any given time.
I think that most of us understand this perfectly. I think that you did not like the answers that you were receiving, because they were not the reassurance and absolution that you sought. The troop movements back and forth are themselves are reason not to want to be across the hall from this. Believe me, we understand and wish you would not attempt such a thing.

Maybe you should consider the possibility of a regular bedroom as a mid point between roomette and family room. If you can swing it financially, it will give you more floor space. Given the size of the children, Amtrak may be more willing to go along with it. I would try it, but then we had a Gremlin from the time we had one child up until we had five, and even traveled in it with the 5 - youngest a baby.
You guys sound like troopers!

We were hoping for something when we got on board - right now a bedroom was showing up as almost a THOUSAND dollars. We're hoping for a miracle on board, or we may decide to avoid the entire thing and fly.

I think I need to edit my original post b/c many of you are not realizing that we are not all going to be in the room at the same time as we ride along. They will only upgrade TWO of the FIVE passengers, thereby leaving at least a couple back in coach at any given time.
I think that most of us understand this perfectly. I think that you did not like the answers that you were receiving, because they were not the reassurance and absolution that you sought. The troop movements back and forth are themselves are reason not to want to be across the hall from this. Believe me, we understand and wish you would not attempt such a thing.
I never asked for reassurance, however, I did expect tact and respectful conversation.

As I was saying (if you'd read the entire thread) - it would not be any different if we had 2 roomettes or a family room. We are still FIVE people (4 plus a baby) and we'd make the same noise/movement were we rotating in and out of ONE room or rotating in and out of FIVE rooms. We'd be making MORE of a "disturbance" actually if we were all back there in several rooms since we'd all be back there at once, so I guess this goes back to the baby-bashing whereas you don't want to be across the hall from a family. We get it. As another poster said, sing to yourself or picture your happy place if riding with others is so disturbing, it's not worth the raise in blood pressure.

You said that your child is disabled. I wonder if you qualify for the H-Room? It is on the lower level and is the full width of the car. ;) It is priced between the cost of a roomette and bedroom. You can not book the H-Room online - you must call!

I would also place your name on the waiting list.

You said that your child is disabled. I wonder if you qualify for the H-Room? It is on the lower level and is the full width of the car. ;) It is priced between the cost of a roomette and bedroom. You can not book the H-Room online - you must call!
Yes, but, he's not physically disabled and I would think those rooms are for persons in a wheelchair, right?

As a single parent, I am always dismayed when anyone with children asks for Amtrak travel advice on this forum.. they always seem to get masses of negative feedback. The best thing to remember is that most of the regular responders here just don't get out often enough.. I for one hope you can find a way to all get (or sneak, blagg, steal) into a roomette.

I love Amtrak travel, and will be enjoying my next trip this monday.. God protect me from sitting next any of the negative individuals posting here!

Cheers,

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
As a single parent, I am always dismayed when anyone with children asks for Amtrak travel advice on this forum.. they always seem to get masses of negative feedback. The best thing to remember is that most of the regular responders here just don't get out often enough.. I for one hope you can find a way to all get (or sneak, blagg, steal) into a roomette.
I love Amtrak travel, and will be enjoying my next trip this monday.. God protect me from sitting next any of the negative individuals posting here!

Cheers,

Ed :cool:
As a single parent and now a grandfather, I have travled many times in all types of transportation with my daughter and now grandaughter. Both overwhemingly preferred trains, as obviously I also do! Now that I'm retired and ride trains more often, I am glad to see families traveling together on the trains and passing on the thrill of riding a train to the youngsters! I'll totally agree that a roomette isnt satisfactory for the OP here but also am surprised by some of the snarky and nasty comments posted here! I'll agree with most of the positive and helpful posters, that tried to help and hope it works out for the family! Trying to fly or god forbid ride the dog is 1,000 times worse! The most obnoxious and bothersome people Ive encountered on my train rides were so called adults, not children and parents trying to travel with their families!

What "shenanigans" would that be? Because one parent, a child and a toddler would be in a room together? I never said all 5 would be in at the same time, you just assumed that. And I'm not sure where you get your "Showtime rotisserie" from as we don't shop at Wal-Mart.
An oblique, intended to be humorous, reference to a previous thread in which we took the "let's move into a roomette" ball and ran with it. It began with a microwave oven and evolved into a gas grill, flat panel HDTV with surround sound, swimming pool, patio furniture with umbrella, volleyball court in the back 40. . .you get the picture.

I took your thread title, "5 in a Roomette", to mean what it said. It wasn't clear (to me at least) that there wouldn't be 5 people in the roomette simultaneously, especially with your "they can sleep on the floor" comment.

. . .it isn't going to be anything that concerns anyone else. . .

. . .If all 4 want to try to sleep like sardines - that's up to us to decide. . .
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this. My point is, our behavior does impact others, and your above comments didn't seem mindful of your neigbors, that's all. Rotating 5 people, whether they're children or adults into and out of a roomette is sure to cause a stir, plain and simple.

And, in the interest of keeping this forum civil, I'm sorry if I offended you in my earlier response.

Thanks Kwit. Especially thanks (and thank God) for Jim & Ed and other parents and people who shared their kindness. Our son loves trains, he's actually obsessed with them and our daughters love trains b/c my father was a trainman for the Sante Fe (back in the day). We have benefitted from his rich tales and as Jim said, looked forward to sharing that experience (as best as we could) with our kids. Honestly, the posts from Jim, Ed, Idon'tFly, & Alan brought tears to my eyes in the face of all the others. Thank you for your genuine kindness & assistance.

Here is one more thought.

You may want to check two weeks before your trip for the price on the H room.

It is reserved for Disabled passengers up to that point.

If it hasn't been booked, you may be able to get that instead.

I hope things go well for you, & that your son gets to ride the train!

Yes, but, he's not physically disabled and I would think those rooms are for persons in a wheelchair, right?
They were designed for people using wheelchairs, yes. But if you qualify, you can also get it. (My sister is not in a wheelchair, but uses a walker. Her doctor qualified her to use the H-Room.) Also within IIRC 14 days of departure, if it is still available, it is opened for sale to anyone!

5 in a roomette? reminds me of being a student and cramming lots of us into my friends mini :lol:

5 in a roomette? reminds me of being a student and cramming lots of us into my friends mini :lol:
LOL - I picked the title to make sure I got some responses. I sure did! :)

Thanks sunchaser and the_traveler for your helpful responses - I didn't know that either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back