51 Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! :)

I typically take the train from Providence to NYP a few times a year, and due to the experience, and now considering taking the train from Providence to HUN (Huntington, WV). At my age, it would be better for me to break it up in two days, as the schedule from Amtrak.com, would have me leave at 21:xx (9:xx pm), getting to DC, and then leaving early to HUN on the 51 Cardinal. Breaking it up in two days would be approximately 7 1/2 hrs to WAS, then 10 1/2 to HUN. If I drove, it would be 13 hours (broken in two days, as I would not want to drive that in one day), and does not account for traffic. For me, it is pretty much the same. So here are my questions if I may ask:

- Has anyone taken the Cardinal before? Any insight? This would be my first long train trip. Is it worth it?

- Are there meals onboard? I am not getting a sleeper car, and would be getting two coach tickets.

- Is it possible to pre-board in DC? My wife had medication that requires refrigeration (small cooler with ice), and it would be better for us to get on early, settle in if possible, and not disturb other passengers.

- Is one side better than the other for a view?

- Once in route, can we both leave our seats (is there a marker?), or do we have to alternate when we leave?

- Is there a place to store our luggage? We would have four bags. 2 regular size suitcases, 1 carry on, 1 backpack.

- How is the condition of the train? I understand Amtrak is operating in the red with federal subsidies, so I am curious if they are able to perform upkeep.

- Is it possible to hop out and take pics of the different stops, or is it quick and fast?

- Any other advice? (Oh, looking to go in September)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hello! :)
I typically take the train from Providence to NYP a few times a year, and due to the experience, and now considering taking the train from Providence to HUN (Huntington, WV). At my age, it would be better for me to break it up in two days, as the schedule from Amtrak.com, would have me leave at 21:xx (9:xx pm), getting to DC, and then leaving early to HUN on the 51 Cardinal. Breaking it up in two days would be approximately 7 1/2 hrs to WAS, then 10 1/2 to HUN. If I drove, it would be 13 hours (broken in two days, as I would not want to drive that in one day), and does not account for traffic. For me, it is pretty much the same. So here are my questions if I may ask:

- Has anyone taken the Cardinal before? Any insight? This would be my first long train trip. Is it worth it? I took it last month. It is scenic and a nice train. It is worth it.

- Are there meals onboard? I am not getting a sleeper car, and would be getting two coach tickets. You have three options. 1. Bring your own food. 2. Use the onboard cafe which has burgers, pizza, snacks, drinks, etc... 3. Use the dining car. You would have to pay for your meal. Lunch's range from $6 - $9 - Dinners from $15 - $22.

- Is it possible to pre-board in DC? My wife had medication that requires refrigeration (small cooler with ice), and it would be better for us to get on early, settle in if possible, and not disturb other passengers. I would imagine you can preboard. You may wish to enlist the services of a redcap.

- Is one side better than the other for a view? When going through the New River Gorge, definitely be on the river side. For When not in the gorge, either side is fine.

- Once in route, can we both leave our seats (is there a marker?), or do we have to alternate when we leave? Yes there is a seat check indicating your seats are taken, so you both can leave. But if you have valueables, you may wish to bring them with you (in your backpack perhaps).

- Is there a place to store our luggage? We would have four bags. 2 regular size suitcases, 1 carry on, 1 backpack. There is an overhead bin that accomodates all but the largest suitcases. For those, there is a place at the end of the coach for those. You will have no problem there.

- How is the condition of the train? I understand Amtrak is operating in the red with federal subsidies, so I am curious if they are able to perform upkeep. Given Amtrak's lack of money, they do a miraculous job with what they have. The coaches are in pretty good shape. Many have been refurbished and have electric outlets at each seat. Even the non-refurbished coaches are in good shape. Again, you should have no issues there.

- Is it possible to hop out and take pics of the different stops, or is it quick and fast? There are a few 'smoke stops' along the way at which you can hop out and take pictures. However, the rest of the stops are fairly fast. The coach attendant may let you off for a moment, but may not also. Whatever you do, stay close to the train so you can hear the all aboard call. The train will leave without you.

- Any other advice? (Oh, looking to go in September) Have fun!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! :)

Welcome! :)

- Has anyone taken the Cardinal before? Any insight? This would be my first long train trip. Is it worth it?
Yes! It is scenic, but long, especially in coach.

- Are there meals onboard? I am not getting a sleeper car, and would be getting two coach tickets.
Yes. Although it is not a "regular" full service Dining Car, it is what they call a "diner-lite" car. They have full meals (although they're reheated in a convection oven - meaning nothing cooked to order) with the other half of the car being the "lounge car (where you can buy snacks, etc...).

- Is it possible to pre-board in DC? My wife had medication that requires refrigeration (small cooler with ice), and it would be better for us to get on early, settle in if possible, and not disturb other passengers.
I'm not sure about pre-boarding, but request a Red Cap, and they can take you and your bags down in a cart. And be aware that Amtrak can not store your medication, but they can provide ice.

- Is one side better than the other for a view?
I think the left side going west and the right side going east.

- Once in route, can we both leave our seats (is there a marker?), or do we have to alternate when we leave?
You can both leave your seats at any time. They will place a seat check above your seat to show it's occupied. Just take any valuables (wallet, purse, camera, etc...) with you.

- Is there a place to store our luggage? We would have four bags. 2 regular size suitcases, 1 carry on, 1 backpack.
There is a luggage rack above your seat, and more room at the end of the car.

- How is the condition of the train? I understand Amtrak is operating in the red with federal subsidies, so I am curious if they are able to perform upkeep.
The condition of the train is quite good.

- Is it possible to hop out and take pics of the different stops, or is it quick and fast?
There are no stops long enough. They may announce "smoke breaks" where you can get off for a few minutes - but stay by the train! At departure time, the train will leave with or without you! And the next one won't come for 2-3 days!

- Any other advice? (Oh, looking to go in September)
First - sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) for both of you! If you would like a referral (to give you a larger sign-up bonus), PM (Private Message) me with BOTH of your email addresses - by June 30! (Each account needs a separate email address.)

Second - book ASAP as the Cardinal only operate 3 times a week and many times sells out!

Third - Enjoy!

First - sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) for both of you! If you would like a referral (to give you a larger sign-up bonus), PM (Private Message) me with BOTH of your email addresses - by June 30! (Each account needs a separate email address.)
D&MN you Traveler! I keep forgetting to ask! AAARGH! :cool:

D&MN you Traveler! I keep forgetting to ask! AAARGH! :cool:
You have to catch the early train to beat the_traveler! :lol:

Actually, I am already a rewards member; but, I have to ask the Mrs. Can't remember if she signed up. And thanks so much for replying! :)

You are getting great suggestions here so far. I was on the Cardinal RT from Prince, WV to DC in April and it is generally a nice ride. I wish the train were a little longer on amenities (like a full diner) but it's certainly no worse than the average NEC train....albeit shorter.

Here's what I can add......

Going westbound to Huntington, the 'river' side through the New River Gorge is going to be the left side of the train as you face forward.

Actually, I am already a rewards member; but, I have to ask the Mrs. Can't remember if she signed up. And thanks so much for replying! :)

You sound like a pretty nice fellow,so dont cause Dave & Jeff any friction. PM me, :lol: & I'll refer you. I like to keep the peace on board!!!! :)

RF
Umm, guys, Trainrider should make the referral to Mrs. himself. Login to AGR and go to "hot deals" for the referral program. You provide her email address, she clicks on the link in it to sign up, you both get points. Read the fine print for referral, signup, and travel deadlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back