#66/#449

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Iron

Conductor
I've never ridden #449 so I'm planning a trip from RVR/BOS/CHI/WAS/RVR on #66/#449/#30/#157 in early February.

The last time I used Guest Rewards I received an automatic upgrade to Business Class from RVR to NYP as I was connecting to a sleeper on #49. Would that free upgrade still apply for #66 connecting to #449 if ticketed in a sleeper?

Is 66 still running with the 2-1 Business Class car?

What side of the train has the better scenery on #449 between BOS and ALB?

Since there is about a 90 minute layover in ALB would I be able to go into the station and then come back to the train at will or would I have to wait with the boarding passengesr.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes to both questions. You will receive BC on 66 and it does still have the 2x1 ex-Metroliner Club Car as BC! :) It's been years since I've taken 449 from BOS, so I can't say the best side. And you should be able to go into the station at ALB, since 449 has to wait for 49 to arrive from NYP.

Yes to both questions. You will receive BC on 66 and it does still have the 2x1 ex-Metroliner Club Car as BC! :) It's been years since I've taken 449 from BOS, so I can't say the best side. And you should be able to go into the station at ALB, since 449 has to wait for 49 to arrive from NYP.
Thank you Sir! I'd spring for BC on #66 anyway since it will be 13 hours. The last time I was on 66 I was in the sleeper.

Unfortunately 66 to 49 most likely would be 2 separate awards. Normal routing to CHI would be via 29/51/49 from VA (via WAS/WAS/NYP). Not via BOS. Or if you don't mind thruway bus to CSV to 51.

In ALB if you go into the station expect to wait upstairs until appx 20 min before departure.

And 449 if it is early often goes to yard first and sits there until the scheduled arrival time to keep track clear especially if EB trains are running late. Last time I did that trip we rolled by the station at 25MPH and sat in the yard for almost 45 min before backing into the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are on 449 you can wait in the sleeper if you choose or you can detrain. You don't HAVE to get off.

As for 449, I agree it's not a big difference, however, if I remember correctly I think the south side of the train migth be sligthly more interesting from a railfan standpoint.

When you are on 449 you can wait in the sleeper if you choose or you can detrain. You don't HAVE to get off.
This is so good to hear, the one trip I took on 449 after 9-11we had to detrain and wait in the station while bomb sniffing dogs went thru every car, then we could not get back on until 49 had arrived and that train was checked. All trains that were in ALB at this time were empty and ALL passengers were crammed into the station. It was April 2002 so security was still very high.

Last edited by a moderator:
However once you make your decision you have to keep it, as 449 is then taken to the yard. So if you're in the station you cannot return to the train until the call for boarding.

Peter

Unfortunately 66 to 49 most likely would be 2 separate awards. Normal routing to CHI would be via 29/51/49 from VA (via WAS/WAS/NYP). Not via BOS. Or if you don't mind thruway bus to CSV to 51.

In ALB if you go into the station expect to wait upstairs until appx 20 min before departure.

And 449 if it is early often goes to yard first and sits there until the scheduled arrival time to keep track clear especially if EB trains are running late. Last time I did that trip we rolled by the station at 25MPH and sat in the yard for almost 45 min before backing into the station.
I hope that is not the case. I was hoping to get some new miles in. Interesting tidbit, the coach fare from RVR-BOS on 66 is $71.00 departing on a Thursday. The coach fare, leaving on Friday, for the Regional connecting in NYP is $161.00. #66 fare with Business Class is $121.00. I may bite the bullet and go for it anyway.

Thanks for the info on leaving the train in ALB.

I'm dredging up a 2012 thread I started. I was not able to take the trip then but I have used points for an early Feb. trip. I will be in Business Class on 66 from RVR to BOS and have been assigned seat 3A. The car is empty at this time but for my reservation. I'd appreciate any information from those that have ridden in this type of car as to the positives and negatives of this particular seat as I have the ability to change if needed. Thanks in advance.

As Steve said, its the 2x1 Seating which is very comfortable.

Hope you're not going get a large crowd going to the Cafe making noise during the trip, this is a popular train even in the middle of the night.

The other thing is the Long Layover @ NYP with the Very Bright Lights on the Platform. Hopefully your curtains work well, or you have a Sleep Mask (and Ear plugs.) You'll also want to take a Travel pillow and perhaps a light throw or blanket.

Good info, thanks. I'll have the long ride from BOS to CHI on 449 so will have plenty of time to catch up on the sleep. I lucked out on the roomette numbers, #3 on 449 and #1 on 50 on the way home, which is on the gorge side of the train.

I understand there will be a long walk, 8 cars by my count, from the 449 sleeper to the diner......first class lounge, but I have never taken the Lakeshore Boston section so looking forward to new mileage.

Good info, thanks. I'll have the long ride from BOS to CHI on 449 so will have plenty of time to catch up on the sleep. I lucked out on the roomette numbers, #3 on 449 and #1 on 50 on the way home, which is on the gorge side of the train.

I understand there will be a long walk, 8 cars by my count, from the 449 sleeper to the diner......first class lounge, but I have never taken the Lakeshore Boston section so looking forward to new mileage.

You can book it so you are in coach for BOS-ALB and a roomette in the NY section from ALB-CHI so you’d be closer to the “flex”-dining car. I am doing this for my cross country trip from SPG - EMY in June. The other disadvantage of the Boston sleeper is that it’s right behind the engine.

I will say 449 from SPG to ALB is a very underrated train ride scenery wise. I rode it this year during foliage and it was quite nice. If you’ve ever done the Vermonter and enjoyed the scenery on there you will enjoy this as well.

I am hoping the Newport News - Boston overnighter is considered for sleepers with some of the new VL2 cars coming online. It could almost be considered a long distance route.

Last edited:
I thought about taking coach on 449 the transferring at ALB but decided to "rough it" in the 449 sleeper. I'm fine with the walk. I rode 66 in the later days of it having a sleeper and it was very nice, I too hope that it returns.

Back