9/11 thread. Were there any members who were riding trains that day ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a junior in high school at the time, and we were in geometry class when we first heard the news about something bad happening. The administrators at my school sort of shut down and it was a free for all. A buddy of mine and I walked home and turned on ABC News. I will never forget watching Peter Jennings that day and seeing all those dust and soot covered people in the streets of NYC. My father's family is from Rockland County and one of my cousins is a NYC firefighter and was that day. Thankfully he was home during the attacks, but at the time I didn't know if he was safe or if he were one of the firefighters that had been lost at the Twin Towers. I remember trying to call my family that night and continously getting a message that said that all circuits were busy. It was Thursday by the time I got in contact with my uncle and found out that my cousin and the rest of my family were fine. 9/11 and the days that followed, when patriotism swept this nation in a way that I have never seen before or since, was the first time I ever thought about joining the military. Even though I was only fifteen that year, the events of that day were the foundation of the thought process that eventually caused me to join the Navy.
As and old Navy hand I say thank you for your service, hope you get plenty of leave and liberty so you can ride trains! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back