A bit nervous

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMadison

Service Attendant
So i'm taking the Cardinal to DC the day after tomorrow, it's going to be my first long distance train and i'm a bit nervous I'll forget somethig important or it won't be as fun as I think it will etc. I tend to get this way about new stuff so i'm sure it's just me. Plus reading about cutbacks is a bit of a downer.

I hope you have a good experience on the Cardinal. I have taken the Cardinal from New York to

Indianapolis many times with good results. I do suggest that you take an early time for breakfast

and lunch as the dining car is small and there is only one server. Have a great trip.

I am sure you will enjoy your trip. Travel in hope, not in fear! It probably won't be exactly as you expect or have imagined, but it should be a mini adventure to enjoy at the least. Be calm, savour the moment and don't allow vague concerns to cloud the fun... If you have your I.D, ticket, and some cash you won't go too far wrong.

Ed :cool:

You will be fine, just set back and relax! You might take a book with you or like I did last night, I downloaded a audio book onto my iPad, be sure to take a headset, lol!

Have a good time, can't wait to hear about your experience.

Denny

I didn't notice any of the "cutbacks", honestly. I still received good service and had fun on my recent trip. Plus, the scenery is still there. ;)

Personally I did notice the cutbacks - in particular the lack of cranberry juice in the sleeper. However, don't let the little things get you down. Now that I know about the changes, I can be prepared and still enjoy myself!

The only thing that makes me anxious regarding the LD trains now is making connections and possible downgrades from sleeper to coach on an overnight.

So i'm taking the Cardinal to DC the day after tomorrow, it's going to be my first long distance train and i'm a bit nervous I'll forget somethig important or it won't be as fun as I think it will etc. I tend to get this way about new stuff so i'm sure it's just me. Plus reading about cutbacks is a bit of a downer.
Noli perspirare.

That's Latin for -- "don't sweat it"

The train may be late.

All the riders (you excepted) may be ass**es.

There may be no food you like on the train.

It will be a good trip anyhow.

The New River is amazing.

Hope the ride is good for you. -- expect it will be

The first time I took Amtrak (since taking the Auto Train when I was 8) was tomorrow morning exactly one year ago. I was in coach on the Cardinal from CIN to WAS. I had the same concerns, but I found that they evaporated pretty quickly. Despite not having a sleeper, I still really enjoyed the trip.

There's just something about taking the train...

Have fun! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually my plans are structured so the train can be super late if it wants to be (basically on time would be 6pm, but i'm just going to a hotel so it could get in at midnight). I went for a roomette (mostly because I like space and somewhere that's mine etc). I think it will be a fun adventure, I heard SCA's get tipped like 5-10 bucks a night (assuming they are good) and dining car folks like you were in a restruant (I've seen people say both good and bad things about the cardinal). I typically get up early so i'm not overly concerned about missing breakfast etc. I"m really excited just a bit woried I"ll act like a total newbie (which I will) but service industry folks seem cool with that most of the time :) I've got my 'train nerd' gear (radio scanner, gps etc) so I think I"ll have some fun.

The first time I took Amtrak (since taking the Auto Train when I was 8) was tomorrow morning exactly one year ago. I was in coach on the Cardinal from CIN to WAS. I had the same concerns, but I found that they evaporated pretty quickly. Despite not having a sleeper, I still really enjoyed the trip.

There's just something about taking the train...

Have fun! :)
I agree, it seems like a grand adventure :) Also I might be a rail fan, I was watching MLP with my niece and was like "That engine makes no sense"

The food isn't as good as what you would find on a full diner. That being said, it isn't bad.

Hopefully you'll get Janice as your SCA. She's one of the best, IMO. Just don't try to lower the top berth yourself. She does NOT like that, haha.

Ditto William's post.

We had Janice and she was our favorite SCA, although none of the four we had were bad. Janice, Amanda, and I together solved all the world's problems including those of a political and religious nature. :) But do not attempt to do your bed yourself--she made that perfectly clear right up front and we said, "Yes, Ma'am!" She's great, but there are many other good SCAs as well, so no worries if you don't get her.

I can't imagine that you will have anything other than a pleasant experience. Everyone we met was pleasant and interesting, and if you run into anyone who isn't, you always have your roomette. Have fun!

Please post on how your trip is going as you travel.

Thank you.

soccer

The SCAs understand if you're a bit confused. When they come around to introduce themselves, they usually ask if it's my first time on a train and/or in a sleeper. Even if I say I've been in a roomette before, they still take the time to say, "Dining car is that way, restroom is that way and there are some downstairs, shower is downstairs," etc. You can always ask follow-up questions. :)

they still take the time to say, "Dining car is that way, restroom is that way and there are some downstairs, shower is downstairs," etc. You can always ask follow-up questions. :)
Reminds me of my 1st LD Trip in a sleeper! Looking back, the cars must have been hooked up differently (Roomettes Forward/Bedrooms Forward) on the different legs! All I know, I was walking way out of my way & I cant walk far. Definitely got a work out & some strange looks from the conductor!!! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be at ALX around the time of the Cardinal's arrival, waiting for a commuter train. I'll be sure to wave!

I'll certainly post updates, I'm really excited for my first long distance train experience.
If you are on the #50(8/14) that left Chicago yesterday, it is having a remarkably good trip in staying on-time. It departed Culpepper only 17 minutes late which is on-time for the Cardinal.

I did a random check of recent #50 trips on Status Map archive and the eastbound Cardinal has been doing much better at not losing a lot of time over the Buckingham Branch RR between Clifton Forge and Culpepper (actually Orange VA but that is not a stop). In the past when I checked, it was routine for eastbound #50, if it reached CLF late, to get noticeably later by the time it reached CVS or CLP. The track maintenance, repairs, and upgrades mostly funded by Virginia may be paying off.

Hope you have a good trip and time in DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back