A couple of newbie questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyM

Train Attendant
Hi Everyone,

Our very first Amtrak trip is coming up in 5 weeks and we're soooo excited !!!!! We are doing a circle of the whole country, CS - EMY/LAX, SL - LAX/NOL, CRESCENT - LAX/NOL, LSL/CZ - NYP/EMY all in bedrooms. I've been lurking and reading everything. Thanks to all of you for all the info it's been fun reading it and I've a good idea of what to expect and not to expect. It's our land cruise.

My main question is: If the CS departs on time out of EMY at 8:35am will we be able to get breakfast? If it's not included can we just purchase breakfast in the diner or would we use the snack bar? OR Should we just eat before we leave? Since it's our first trip I would prefer to eat on the train, it's more exciting.

Also just thought of this really not the topic but.

Is the status on the website accurate? I often read problems with this. I would hate to check the status and the train that's running late arrive earlier than projected and we miss it. Do we just always go to the station at the scheduled time regardless of the status and just wait?

If the CS is ontime, you should get breakfast - especially since you're a sleeper passenger! And remember that only food in the Dining car is included. (Anything from the cafe must be paid for.) Also, the Dining Car only serves complete meals - but you need not eat everything on the plate. (I know Mom said to "eat your veggies", but most times I leave them!)

As far as the other question, the status is generally correct. If it says on time, it's a good bet that it will be near on time. If it says "3 hours late", it could make up time but I would not expect it to make up 3 hours from (say) SAC to EMY! I would be there prior to the "revise" schedule arrival, but it's up to you if you want to wait at the station for 3 hours!

Last edited by a moderator:
You may eat in the lounge/cafe car rather than the diner if you are don't want a full meal (and after several days of sleeping, eating, sitting, sleeping, eating, sitting, you may find your appetite waning) and there will be no charge for those in sleepers.

You may eat in the lounge/cafe car rather than the diner if you are don't want a full meal (and after several days of sleeping, eating, sitting, sleeping, eating, sitting, you may find your appetite waning) and there will be no charge for those in sleepers.
Actually, not. Sleeper passengers are only entitled to free meals in the dining car. Sleeper passengers desiring lounge car items must pay.

You can go straight to the dining car and grab breakfast because if the train is on time they'll still be serving. Since it's your first meal onboard you'll most likely want to have the experience. Of course you can always buy something in the lounge area if they're running a little bit late. But if that's the case I'd wait and have an early lunch instead of having to purchase a meal I should be gettin' for free. I always have a box of protein bars with me in case the meal times don't work out for me. I usually eat a late breakfast and skip lunch because I know dinner's on the way and there is a lot of food on the plate.

My main question is: If the CS departs on time out of EMY at 8:35am will we be able to get breakfast? If it's not included can we just purchase breakfast in the diner or would we use the snack bar? OR Should we just eat before we leave? Since it's our first trip I would prefer to eat on the train, it's more exciting.
Breakfast can run to about 9-9:30 a.m. IIRC. If the train is running late, I'd eat on your own if that is important.

On a side note, during your trip the cutoff time for some meals during the day will depend on events. Train staff will

announce them. Generally for lunch and dinner they will take your reservation for dining times.

Since you are traveling in a Bedroom, all meals are included in the price of your ticket for those connected to the room.

At each meal the waitstaff will have you put your car and room number on your meal order then sign it prior to ordering.

Then you can each order one entree'. Juice, milk, soft drinks, coffee and tea are included. Beer and wine is not. Tipping

is up to you.

For example at breakfast you order french toast. You can also order a side of sausage or bacon at no charge. In addition

to juice, both milk, and coffee (or tea) will be provided.

Is the status on the website accurate? I often read problems with this. I would hate to check the status and the train that's running late arrive earlier than projected and we miss it. Do we just always go to the station at the scheduled time regardless of the status and just wait?
Not in all cases. If the train is running about an hour late, I'll still go as if it is running on time. If it is really late, I call about

every 30-45 minutes checking the last station the train is scheduled to arrive/depart before my stop if the station is and

over and hour away.

In one instance when I knew the train would be late at least two hours and I would miss my train meal entitled to, I went to

a restaurant to eat. After the trip I called Amtrak and got a $10 voucher..

Sleeper passengers are only entitled to free meals in the dining car. Sleeper passengers desiring lounge car items must pay.
The only exception to the rule is one time we were bustituted around a problem. By the time we were put on the other train

to continue the trip we missed dinner. They allowed us go to the snack car and order anything we wanted. All the attendant

had to do is keep of list of items given away for his inventory.

Actually, not. Sleeper passengers are only entitled to free meals in the dining car. Sleeper passengers desiring lounge car items must pay.
Check with the LSA, they will gladly feed you in the lounge/cafe rather than have you take up precisous space in the dining car.

slim chipley said:
1345059355[/url]' post='387489']
PRR 60 said:
1345053291[/url]' post='387456']
slim chipley said:
1345052305[/url]' post='387450']You may eat in the lounge/cafe car rather than the diner if you are don't want a full meal (and after several days of sleeping, eating, sitting, sleeping, eating, sitting, you may find your appetite waning) and there will be no charge for those in sleepers.
Check with the LSA, they will gladly feed you in the lounge/cafe rather than have you take up precisous space in the dining car.
Maybe yes, but probably no.

Thanks everyone,

We'll enjoy breakfast if the CS is on time, if not we'll have something before we leave home. If the train is really late (3hrs) when we get to EMY we can just go home and come back later, I live about 20-30min at most from the station across the Bay bridge. We don't mind paying for meals that are not included in the fare, Amtrak has to make money just like every other transport service. Sometimes I think people expect too much. We also tip generously so I know that unless something is terribly wrong our attendants will do well.

I can't wait to tell you all what a great holiday Amtrak has been.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Our very first Amtrak trip is coming up in 5 weeks and we're soooo excited !!!!! We are doing a circle of the whole country, CS - EMY/LAX, SL - LAX/NOL, CRESCENT - LAX/NOL, LSL/CZ - NYP/EMY all in bedrooms. I've been lurking and reading everything. Thanks to all of you for all the info it's been fun reading it and I've a good idea of what to expect and not to expect. It's our land cruise.

One thing I'd like to address is the comment about the "land cruise". If you are expecting service and accommodations comparable to a cruise ship, I'd recomend lowering the bar substantially. I thoroughly enjoy both, but there is very little commonality. On a trip of this duration you'll likely encounter both top notch and bottom of the barrel staff. And the rooms are at best tired and worn and at worst dirty with non-functioning facilities. If you keep this in mind you will not be set-up for disappointment.

Hi Everyone,

One thing I'd like to address is the comment about the "land cruise". If you are expecting service and accommodations comparable to a cruise ship, I'd recomend lowering the bar substantially. I thoroughly enjoy both, but there is very little commonality. On a trip of this duration you'll likely encounter both top notch and bottom of the barrel staff. And the rooms are at best tired and worn and at worst dirty with non-functioning facilities. If you keep this in mind you will not be set-up for disappointment.

It's OK I've read enough to not expect a cruise ship (my favourite being Seabourn) I'm even looking forward to a gruff crew member or two...... :) After the election I hope that Amtrak gets a shot in the budget to bring them up to standard. I also wouldn't mind paying a little more for the service, both on-time and on-board to get better. Just from what I have read the staff could do with some morale building, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back