Abreviations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve P.

Train Attendant
Is there a list someplace of the AMTRAK abbreviations both for trains and stations? Some of them I can figure out and some I can't.

Thanks that helps alot.
You're welcome. also found a partial list for the trains-

**COMMON TRAIN NAME ABBREVIATIONS**

LSL = Lake Shore Limited

CL = Capitol Limited

CONO = City of New Orleans

EB = Empire Builder

CZ = California Zephyr

SWC = Southwest Chief

SL = Sunset Limited

CS = Coast Starlight

NEC = Northeast Corridor

AT = Auto Train

Silvers = Silver Star / Silver Meteor

Other trains aren't abbreviated so often.

Maybe someone could add to it?

Thanks that helps alot.

LSL = Lake Shore Limited

CL = Capitol Limited

EB = Empire Builder

CZ = California Zephyr

SWC = Southwest Chief

SL = Sunset Limited

CS = Coast Starlight

NEC = Northeast Corridor

AT = Auto Train

Missouri River Runner is often abbreviated MORR.

Thanks that helps alot.

LSL = Lake Shore Limited

CL = Capitol Limited

EB = Empire Builder

CZ = California Zephyr

SWC = Southwest Chief

SL = Sunset Limited

CS = Coast Starlight

NEC = Northeast Corridor

AT = Auto Train

What about some of the "equipment" abbreviations (e.g. "SSL" sight seer lounge)? :)

Thanks much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know the location code for Zanesville, Ohio?
Doesn't appear to have an Amtrak Station or an Airport. ZIP Code is 43701. :)

The Geographic Locator Code for Zanesville OH is: State: 39 County: 091 City: 9250

What is GLC?

Codes for states, counties, and cities are based on two Federal Information Processing Standards--FIPS 5-2 and FIPS 6-4--issued by the National Institute of Standards and Technology under the provisions of Public Law 89-306 (commonly known as the Brooks Act) and the Office of Management and Budget Circular A-86 as amended by the Computer Security Act of 1987, Public Law 100-235.

Does anyone know the location code for Zanesville, Ohio?
Doesn't appear to have an Amtrak Station or an Airport. ZIP Code is 43701. :)

The Geographic Locator Code for Zanesville OH is: State: 39 County: 091 City: 9250

What is GLC?

Codes for states, counties, and cities are based on two Federal Information Processing Standards--FIPS 5-2 and FIPS 6-4--issued by the National Institute of Standards and Technology under the provisions of Public Law 89-306 (commonly known as the Brooks Act) and the Office of Management and Budget Circular A-86 as amended by the Computer Security Act of 1987, Public Law 100-235.
Amtrak does not serve any cities which start with "Z". Alphabetically, the last Amtrak destination is Yuma AZ. Now, there is a piece of useless information! :p

To compopund the confusion, some of us particularly the older ones :rolleyes: will at times refer to railroad lines by the names that applied to them in past years, sometimes quite a few years in the past. In fact, even some of the companies use that.

One example: The line used by the Silver Star between Apex and Savannah GA and both Amtrak trains south of Auburndale FL is shown in their employee timetables as the "S" Line and the line used to get to Tampa by the Silver Meteor and for all its route between Auburndale FL and Richmond is referred to as the "A" Line. "S" being for the Seaboard Air Line and "A" being for the Atlantic Coast Line which merged in something like 1967 and since then through several intermediate steps became part of CSX.

The line used by the Southwest Chief, now BNSF was for many years the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe, usually referred toas the ATSF or Santa Fe. However, east of Galesburg although still BNSF, the line was for many years the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy, or CB&Q. The CB&Q b ecame part of Burlington Northern, and ultimately BN and ATSF combined to form BNSF. After that happened, a connection was built between the two lines west of Galesburg for their purposes which enabled the SC to go to the ex BN's shorter line into Chicago Union Station. We could go on and on for quite a while with this stuff, but I think I have confused things enough for now.

As faras old railroads go, I've got to mention the old NYC vs. PRR. Now these names are still used when talking about NYP-CHI service.

To compopund the confusion, some of us particularly the older ones :rolleyes: will at times refer to railroad lines by the names that applied to them in past years, sometimes quite a few years in the past. In fact, even some of the companies use that.

One example: The line used by the Silver Star between Apex and Savannah GA and both Amtrak trains south of Auburndale FL is shown in their employee timetables as the "S" Line and the line used to get to Tampa by the Silver Meteor and for all its route between Auburndale FL and Richmond is referred to as the "A" Line. "S" being for the Seaboard Air Line and "A" being for the Atlantic Coast Line which merged in something like 1967 and since then through several intermediate steps became part of CSX.

The line used by the Southwest Chief, now BNSF was for many years the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe, usually referred toas the ATSF or Santa Fe. However, east of Galesburg although still BNSF, the line was for many years the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy, or CB&Q. The CB&Q b ecame part of Burlington Northern, and ultimately BN and ATSF combined to form BNSF. After that happened, a connection was built between the two lines west of Galesburg for their purposes which enabled the SC to go to the ex BN's shorter line into Chicago Union Station. We could go on and on for quite a while with this stuff, but I think I have confused things enough for now.
And, of course, the "Southwest Chief" back then was called the "Super Chief." I would prefer to think of BNSF as ATSF. It took me long enough to learn the song! :lol:

In New Jersey, what is now "New Jersey Transit Rail" used to be the composed of the "Erie" Railroad (which has much of the uncatenaried track in the system - Boonton Line - before it became the Montclair/Boonton Line), and the "Delaware, Lackawana and Western" which became the "Lackawana" (most of the catenaried portion (i.e. Morris/Exxex Lines). These two merged to become the "Erie/Lackawanna" railroad, which them merged to New Jersey Transit Rail division.

You can still see a lot o fthe "DLW" pillers in Hoboken Terminal.

As faras old railroads go, I've got to mention the old NYC vs. PRR. Now these names are still used when talking about NYP-CHI service.
Yes, they are! It pains old PRR fans that the surviving route between New York and Chicago is the NYC's. (no, I don't count the Cardinal).

Back in the day, the New York Central boasted of their fast, "water-level" route to Chicago. The Pennsy countered by touting the great night sleep you would get in the "cool, mountain air" of the PRR's route. Those were the days.

Back in the day, the New York Central boasted of their fast, "water-level" route to Chicago. The Pennsy countered by touting the great night sleep you would get in the "cool, mountain air" of the PRR's route. Those were the days.
"...and 60 mile shorter". (At least, I think that was the distance the Pennsy quoted.)

In the early days of Amtrak the New York - Chicago train was the Broadway Limited, following the PRR route all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
"...and 60 mile shorter". (At least, I think that was the distance the Pennsy quoted.)

In the early days of Amtrak the New York - Chicago train was the Broadway Limited, following the PRR route all the way.
I believe it did. And some of that trackage is abandoned and/or removed, so it can not happen again. (At least without a lot of $$$$!
sad.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back