Acela First Class - Worth it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your help. One other question, does the Acela 2164 NYP to BOS leaving at 3pm serve a meal?

Thanks for your help. One other question, does the Acela 2164 NYP to BOS leaving at 3pm serve a meal?
Yes. A meal will always be served out of NYP - either north to Boston or south to WAS - regardless of the time. The time will only dictate if its the breakfast menu or the lunch/dinner menu. The lunch/dinner menu is the same.

It's usually served around NLC. I've been on 2164 about 3 or 4 times and only once was it served as soon as we left NYP. Now that 2164 stops at STM which for a long time it went from NYP to PVD non stop, I would guess after you pass STM.

If you're going to ride the full route like you are, and it's a "once in a long time" special kind of trip, I would definitely do it. 2 meals, snacks and free drinks? Yes, please. The wife and I did it when we went to BOS for a wedding a few years ago and had a great trip. Got the trip off to a nice special start.

If you're going to ride the full route like you are, and it's a "once in a long time" special kind of trip, I would definitely do it. 2 meals, snacks and free drinks? Yes, please. The wife and I did it when we went to BOS for a wedding a few years ago and had a great trip. Got the trip off to a nice special start.
That's basically what I was thinking. I'm 64, and going with my 27 year old daughter. It's once in a lifetime. I'll buy my ticket, use my companion coupon and upgrade both to first class with points.

If I understand correctly, you can not use points to upgrade from BC to FC. It's either use points for BC or use points for FC in total. Also, you can not upgrade to FC if you use some discount (like AAÀ or senior)!

If I understand correctly, you can not use points to upgrade from BC to FC.
FREE AMTRAK ONE-CLASS UPGRADE COUPONS
amtrak.png

Pack of 5 One-class upgrades (12 hour)10,000 points

Item#: 2008
REDEEM
Add to Wish List

Upon redemption, your 5 One-Class Upgrade coupons will be automatically added to your Amtrak Guest Rewards account and available under the "My Account" tab.

To apply upgrades, you may call 1-888-707-6600 within 12 hours of departure and reference the eCoupon#. Or, if you prefer, you can print your coupon and present it to an Amtrak station agent.

The coupons will expire within 12 months of redemption date.

Each coupon is valid for one (1) space available upgrade from Coach to Business or Business class to First class.

Please note, a coupon may only be applied once. Your itinerary may be modified prior to departure, and this offer may be applied if available. If the reservation is cancelled, the coupon will not be re-issued and cannot be re-used. If you fail to board a train you have reserved ("no-show"), your entire reservation will cancel, and the coupon will be forfeited.
  • Coupon valid for one (1) space-available upgrade from Coach to Business class or Business class to First class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg.
OK - so how do I do two people for first class on the Acela?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, that is an exception to the "upgrade with points" - since you're redeeming points for upgrade coupons. I thought you meant (say) if BC was 8K and FC was 12K, you wanted to "pay" the 4K difference only.

Upgrades can only be used with a full fare BC ticket for Acela!

So....I have to buy two BC tickets for the Acela and then upgrade via points.

Or, get a FC via points and buy a BC and upgrade via points.

Is that right?

So....I have to buy two BC tickets for the Acela and then upgrade via points.

Or, get a FC via points and buy a BC and upgrade via points.

Is that right?
Change your wording to "upgrade via coupon (bought w/points), otherwise it looks like you're saying you can upgrade using points.

Pardon my ignorance, so please, speak slow... :p

How do I get both of us in FC on the Acela (WAS to BOS)? I have enough points for an upgrade, but I'll probably have to buy the basic fare.

If I get enough points for the BC, can I still use the coupon for upgrade?

I have a companion coupon? Can I use that?

Sorry for the ignorance.

Pardon my ignorance, so please, speak slow... :p

How do I get both of us in FC on the Acela (WAS to BOS)? I have enough points for an upgrade, but I'll probably have to buy the basic fare.

If I get enough points for the BC, can I still use the coupon for upgrade?

I have a companion coupon? Can I use that?

Sorry for the ignorance.
You don't have enough points for an upgrade, because you can't upgrade with points. I think what you mean to say is that you have enough points to buy 5 upgrade coupons for 10,000 points.

SO, let's suppose you spend 10K points and get 5 upgrade coupons.

You must buy BC fare for BOTH of you. You use one upgrade coupon per person, each way. So you use a total of four upgrade coupons to travel roundtrip from BOS - WAS for two people.

I don't think you can upgrade to FC if one of you used a companion coupon, but I defer to the experts.

I don't believe you can. You can't combine discounts (like use AAA and an upgrade coupon) so I don't think you can combine a companion coupon and an upgrade coupon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, everyone.

Assuming I had infinite points, and a companion coupon, then, it appears the most economical way to do it is to buy BC for both of us (one way trip, by the way) and then use the upgrade coupons for First Class. The companion coupon is, for all practical purposes, worthless.

Right?

I appreciate your patience with me, by the way!

Thank you, everyone.

Assuming I had infinite points, and a companion coupon, then, it appears the most economical way to do it is to buy BC for both of us (one way trip, by the way) and then use the upgrade coupons for First Class. The companion coupon is, for all practical purposes, worthless.

Right?

I appreciate your patience with me, by the way!
Yes, the companion coupon is not something that is helping you in this situation.

Assuming you had infinite points, you could also redeem points for FC travel. But I believe it is something like 12K points each way per person. So it seems kind of silly to redeem 48K points to ride acela roundtrip in FC for two people when for 35K people you can go cross country in a roomette....Just my $0.02

OK, that is an exception to the "upgrade with points" - since you're redeeming points for upgrade coupons. I thought you meant (say) if BC was 8K and FC was 12K, you wanted to "pay" the 4K difference only.

This is incorrect. I have upgraded from BC to FC on AE plenty of times on a Low Bucket. Most recently in January. Only on Regional fares that are the 25% off fares this rule applies.

I don't believe you can. You can't combine discounts (like use AAA and an upgrade coupon) so I don't think you can combine a companion coupon and an upgrade coupon.
This is correct.

This is incorrect. I have upgraded from BC to FC on AE plenty of times on a Low Bucket. Most recently in January. Only on Regional fares that are the 25% off fares this rule applies.

This is correct.
You can still upgrade a 25% off regional fare coach fare (E bucket) to BC. Our own AGR Insider has said so repeatedly on flyertalk, and I personally did such a thing on Saturday.

Thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1596445-one-class-upgrade-coupon.html

Yes, a low bucket or a 25% saver fare you can upgrade, but you can't combine a discount like AAA with an upgrade coupon.
Right. So be careful because you can book AAA fares on acela on the weekends, but those aren't upgradable. So be careful when booking as to not choose a AAA fare if you think you might upgrade.

No problem with upgrading from a AAA fare. You just have to pay the difference to the same bucket, I.e. Pay back the discount when upgrading. I have done so many times. Sometimes the agent might get confused and try to charge current bucket. But that is incorrect, and the agent insisting on that needs additional training. Just go to a different one or ask for a supervisor.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back