across northern US, or Canada?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liz

we're from NY. Thinking of taking an Alaskan cruise next summer. Hubby hates to fly (but will when necessary). Interested in train travel for one way, or both ways. If we did one way, I'd do it on the way home, so not worrying about any possible delays as much, and as a fun ending to our trip.

I've read Canadian train travel is a step up from US. I don't know anything about Canadian train travel though. We once used Amtrak from NJ to Sanford, Fl, and enjoyed it. Had a family sleeping car (w/ our own private bathroom, shower). DH would insist on something similar.

Amtrak site isn't the easiest to navigate (for me, at least).

I see the 2 basic routes from NY to Chicago, then switching trains from Chicago to Seattle (but I can't determine if it goes up to Vancouver). I think we'd rather sail from Vancouver than Seattle.

Not interested in any bus connections, at all.

If anyone can help me out a bit, I'd be very appreciative!

Will you sail from Vancouver, WA or Vancouver, Canada?

I believe there are Amtrak stations in both cities.

I would go New York City to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited.

Transit to the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, then

the Cascades to either Vancouver.

On the return, I would suggest the Cascades back to Seattle, then

the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Sacremento, the California Zephyr

to Chicago and either the Lake Shore Limited or Cardinal to New York.

I'm not familiar with the Canadian train although I have heard it is

very nice.

Good luck.

Since you say "up to Vancouver," I'll assume that you mean Vancouver, BC. I don't think there are any cruises from Vancouver, WA, anyway. As Shanghai says, if you go through the US, your most likely choices are the Lake Shore Limited from New York (NYP) to Chicago (CHI), then the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle (SEA), then you have your choice of Amtrak Cascades trains from Seattle to Vancouver, BC (VAC). You'll probably want to stay overnight in Chicago and/or Seattle, since you don't want to miss your boat if the trains are delayed for any reason. The Amtrak trains are nice, especially the Empire Builder, which has great scenery and a good staff.

If you want to go through Canada, you'll likely take the Maple Leaf NYP to Toronto (TWO), where you'll connect to the Canadian. This train, which you can get more information on at http://www.viarail.ca/en , is perhaps more elegant than the American trains, but both are well worth taking.

I suggest that you take a leisurely trip through the US on the way out, with overnights in both Chicago and Seattle, then go back through Canada, but whichever way you choose, you should really enjoy the journey.

I know you meant Vancouver, BC! It is the only one with cruises to Alaska.

If cost is a consideration, taking Amtrak across the US cost less than taking VIA Rail across Canada. But the Canadian is a much nicer train! Also, the Canadian only operates 3 days a week in the summer (2 times weekly in winter), while these Antrak trains operate daily.

If cost is a consideration, taking Amtrak across the US cost less than taking VIA Rail across Canada. But the Canadian is a much nicer train! Also, the Canadian only operates 3 days a week in the summer (2 times weekly in winter), while these Antrak trains operate daily.
The Canadian is much nicer, with a really great dining car and real dome cars. It is usually quite a bit more expensive (like 2x at the non-sale fares).

Really?

Even as a former Amtrak On Board Services employee myself, I have to say, "There is NO choice when it comes to choosing between traveling across the continent on rail, 'Amtrak versus Via Rail Canada', is NO choice.

Choose Via Rail. You absolutely, positively, 100% guaranteed, will NOT be disappointed"

With Amtrak, it's a crap-shoot. While the number of "good" (meaning just not too negative in some cases) employees on Amtrak FAR out numbers the rude, crude, and sometimes hostile, if I were given a choice of Via Rail versus Amtrak, I'd book the Via Rail trip so fast it'd make your head-spin, twice.

The scenery, the meals, (Oh, the meals!), the on-board staff, and the accommodations on Via Rail (Cross-Country Long Distance) are such a cut above the BEST that Amtrak has to offer, that it should be a no-brainer to book Via Rail.

Amtrak has many fans in the USA, primarily because it is a captive market, and a captive carrier, there just isn't anything else, so one is "forced" to like Amtrak, if they are fans of passenger rail travel.

Don't get me wrong, Amtrak has routes, (Empire Builder, and Coast Starlight to name just two) where the scenery is outstanding, the equipment is "OK", and the staff are probably 9/10 polite and courteous. But they still don't compare in any way, shape, or form on what Via Rail has to offer in any of those categories.

Via Rail still uses Dome Cars, several of them. Not like Amtrak's "Sightseer Lounge" car, which is nice in and of itself, but simply cannot compare to a true Dome Car. Did I mention the meals? Well, I did, but one could devote an ENTIRE THREAD just to Via Rail's meals. (China, glass, stainless flatware, linens, all meals cooked to order, impeccable staff and service.....)

Of course, all this is on the assumption that you will be traveling in a sleeper. If going by coach, well, you'd still get better meal options on Via Rail, but the other levels of service and equipment would not make as big of a difference.

Truly, I don't get passionate about a lot of threads on here, but you've asked a question of "Amtrak vs. Via Rail" and I think, I know, you will be much happier traveling on Via Rail Canada.

I could go on an with analogies, and trip reports, but you can do that research yourself, and if you do, I think you'll come up with the same conclusion.

Choose Via Rail. You absolutely, positively, 100% guaranteed, will NOT be disappointed"

To the OP, instead of taking a cruise to Alaska, why don't you take the Alaska Marine Highway? It's a ferry service operated by the Alaska DOT, and it offers the same scenery as a cruise and a very good crew. It's cheaper than a cruise, too, and you have more freedom at each intermediate stop.

Here their site: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Their site is easy to navigate. They sail from Bellingham and Prince Rupert. You can take trains to either port.

Please take VIA Rail before they cut more trains! They're cutting some trains, and they may cut the Skeena, Jasper-Prince Rupert.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take the Empire Builder one way and the Canadian the other way. Last December, I traveled from Toronto to Vancouver in a bedroom for 2. It was very nice, even though there was no shower. The food, scenery, staff, cleanliness, etc. were all above average. Because I lucked out with a 75% off "express deal," I paid less than I would have for a cross country Amtrak train. (In September, I will be taken VIA from Montreal to Halifax and back).

RRdude, very interesting. I've only used VIA between Moncton and Quebec City and I enjoyed that trip, but not so much as others I've done on Amtrak. I felt very claustrophobic in whatever it is they call the equivalent of a roomette (but it was for one person only) . The heat was so high, I couldn't sleep for the crackling static electricity every time I turned over. Plus I think there were only one of two of us in the entire sleeping section (it was mid winter) so it felt very odd, not seeing anyone else at all (besides my car attendant). I didn't get to sample the meals, unfortunately. However, I am very keen to try the Vancouver - Toronto trip and you have really sold me on it reading your passionate post :)

If you have flexible travel dates and are talking about travel in a bedroom (cabin for two on Via), Via's Express deals for the Canadian are very competetive with Amtrak. Food and service are far better on the Canadian than Amtrak plus the Canadian runs four dome cars in the summer.

Whereas Amtrak offers daily, cross-country service which is somewhat affordable, the Canadian is more of a three day per week land cruise with prices to match. Only special deals make it affordable for the average person.

Gord.

RRdude, very interesting. I've only used VIA between Moncton and Quebec City and I enjoyed that trip, but not so much as others I've done on Amtrak. I felt very claustrophobic in whatever it is they call the equivalent of a roomette (but it was for one person only) . The heat was so high, I couldn't sleep for the crackling static electricity every time I turned over. Plus I think there were only one of two of us in the entire sleeping section (it was mid winter) so it felt very odd, not seeing anyone else at all (besides my car attendant). I didn't get to sample the meals, unfortunately. However, I am very keen to try the Vancouver - Toronto trip and you have really sold me on it reading your passionate post :)
That roomette was probably what they call a "single room", some which were originally called duplex roomettes. A duplex single room is different, the bed is at a right angle to the train, whereas the duplex roomette is parrallel to the train. You probably would have felt better in a duplex single room, but those don't run anymore.

The scenery, the meals, (Oh, the meals!), the on-board staff, and the accommodations on Via Rail (Cross-Country Long Distance) are such a cut above the BEST that Amtrak has to offer, that it should be a no-brainer to book Via Rail.
I've only taken the Canadian once, but on the trip what impressed me was the consistency of on-board service. Sure, I had a tough pork tenderloin one night, and our sleeping car attendant from Toronto to Winnipeg wasn't the most attentive, but the general level of customer service on the Canadian was the equivalent of a great Amtrak crew.

And it was startling to encounter a cheerful, helpful head of onboard services, rather than the conductors I usually encounter on Amtrak, for whom customer service is not a priority.

Have I had as great a customer experience on Amtrak as I did on the Canadian? Sure. Have I had it often? Not hardly.

Oh, and the Canadian has the method of travel to which I wish to become accustomed: a cabin for three in the sleeper-dome-observation Park Car.

And it was startling to encounter a cheerful, helpful head of onboard services, rather than the conductors I usually encounter on Amtrak, for whom customer service is not a priority.
There is no comparison between an Amtrak conductor and VIA's head of OBS. They are vastly different jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back