ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoy these moves while you can. They will end soon, unless SEPTA uses Amtrak to deliver their units.
The SEPTA ACS-64s won't ship until 2018, so even if they get sent east on the CZ, there will be long gap in ACS-64 deliveries once the 70th Amtrak unit ships. However, there will be Charger diesel locomotives getting sent to IL for the Mid-west trains starting sometime in 2016 along with one or more locomotives going to Pueblo for testing. It is possible that Amtrak will move the Midwest and Pueblo bound Chargers on the LD trains, although the locomotives are being brought by the states, not Amtrak. Of course, if the CZ is used to move new Chargers to CHI, that will be in a Charger thread, not here.

I caught Amtrak #6(12) with AMTK 663 running on time east of Chillicothe, Iowa near the Des Moines River this morning. This time 663 made it past Ottumwa.

I would expect Amtrak to move Chargers for the Midwest from Sacramento to Chicago on the California Zephyr -- it wouldn't really make sense to do it any other way, would it? It's even simpler than the Sprinter moves: the Chargers can move directly into the Amtrak Chicago yards from where they will be deployed. I'd expect the Pacific NW and Pacific Surfliner Chargers to move on the Coast Starlight, as well.

AAF seems much more likely to move their locomotives by freight rather than Amtrak, unless Amtrak makes them a great offer; Amtrak would be a convoluted routing for them (Sacramento-Chicago-DC-Jacksonville, I guess). I suppose AAF might move their passenger cars by Amtrak, but it still seems like a freight routing might be better for them.

All right, math scholars. I thought this was covered, but we'll do it again. Amtrak ordered 70 units, which are numbered 600-670. If a unit of each number was delivered to Amtrak, that would indicate a total of 71 units.

So, guess which unit number is left out of the sequence?

Amtrak #6(09) with AMTK 664 came into Ottumwa, Iowa this morning fifty-two minutes late.

What kind of trouble did they have sending it out?

TR, you do realize your post is #1666? I would be careful...

LOL!
Good catch!
That figures! :blink: I usually seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Amtrak #6(09) with AMTK 664 came into Ottumwa, Iowa this morning fifty-two minutes late.

I

A post that's currently at the bottom of this page says AMTK 664 could now be "en route from California."
It is indeed. Third time is the charm.
What kind of trouble did they have sending it out?
I'm not 100% sure but there were a few false starts. In any event, 665 is getting underway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back