ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my video from today of Amtrak #6(19) with 610 being led by 822 into Agency, Iowa:

The 603 was suppose to make its trip to Harrisburg and back to Washington today, then tomorrow its suppose to make a train to Boston and back. Also the next motor that suppose to make a shakedown run will be the 605 in April but im not sure of the date. Hopefully Amtrak can start getting these motors out soon because the meatballs are really starting to breakdown.

Well you can see how bad they look, some have dents and the paint is either faded or chipping off. Also they don't make parts for the meatballs anymore so most of them are running until they cant run anymore.

Not sure if anyone knows this here but ACS64 #603 is testing on the Keystone Corridor today. I just filmed it speeding through Thorndale Station like 10 minutes ago. If anyone wants to film it returning from Harrisburg get to the Keystone Corridor sometime in the next couple of hours as I am not sure when its returning. It was pulling a Keystone set.

Not sure if anyone knows this here but ACS64 #603 is testing on the Keystone Corridor today. I just filmed it speeding through Thorndale Station like 10 minutes ago. If anyone wants to film it returning from Harrisburg get to the Keystone Corridor sometime in the next couple of hours as I am not sure when its returning. It was pulling a Keystone set.
Are you going to post the video?

I wonder if the meatballs have had some maintenance deferred for budgetary reasons with the anticipation of the delivery of the new motors.
There are no overhauls scheduled in FY2014 for the AEM-7DCs, ACs and HHP-8s in the maintenance summary in the monthly reports. In FY2013 monthly reports, the scheduled overhauls were cut short of the planned number in the latter part of the year with the note "project complete - budget reduction". So, yes, the overhaul cycle has been stopped for the meatballs and Hippos, obviously counting on the ACS-64s entering service quickly enough.

I wonder if the meatballs have had some maintenance deferred for budgetary reasons with the anticipation of the delivery of the new motors.
There are no overhauls scheduled in FY2014 for the AEM-7DCs, ACs and HHP-8s in the maintenance summary in the monthly reports. In FY2013 monthly reports, the scheduled overhauls were cut short of the planned number in the latter part of the year with the note "project complete - budget reduction". So, yes, the overhaul cycle has been stopped for the meatballs and Hippos, obviously counting on the ACS-64s entering service quickly enough.
Amtrak really need to get these motors up and going. Like I said before a bunch of these motors are breaking down including the HHP8's. There are only 3 in service now and they said they are trying to 8 in service but it seems like that's not going to happen. The 602 was approve for service but I think its still in NY testing for engineers

All overhauls of AEM-7's and HHP's are no longer being completed. It makes no sense to complete an overhaul when they are just going to be taken OOS soon. IIRC 924 was the last toaster to be overhauled.

As per Facebook pics, 603 is sitting comfortably right now up at Boston after completing her test run.

Photo credit to George Pitz:

10014928_1465025760381862_70092898_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1465025760381862&set=gm.608926292515989&type=1&theater

Back