ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes perfect sense to me, the supply of spare parts can't be fully populated yet (nor should it be).

One locomotive in the shop is better than several.
I can agree that not having a large supply of spare parts could constitute using one unit for spare parts. It does make one wonder how many spare parts are being used though...

According to trainorders, #621 was on CZ #6 leaving Emeryville today (9/05).

Hopefully it is not being sent east to be cannibalized for spare parts until Siemmens catches up on spare parts inventory. :eek:

Some pictures I came across on a Facebook group I'm a member of, I thought people here would appreciate them. NOTE: Not my photographs, all credit goes to Lil'Marcus Idell (Facebook). Units 602, 604, 606, 611 and 616 at Trenton station.

acs642_zps6752619d.jpg

acs641_zpscdd2342d.jpg

acs643_zps12bd2ae7.jpg

acs644_zps0532ba43.jpg

acs646_zps88f4416f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes perfect sense to me, the supply of spare parts can't be fully populated yet (nor should it be).

One locomotive in the shop is better than several.
I can agree that not having a large supply of spare parts could constitute using one unit for spare parts. It does make one wonder how many spare parts are being used though...
I would doubt that it is any kind of mass cannibalization, like what could happen with some of the retired AEM7's and HHP8s to keep some units running.

It's a common issue in manufacturing. The new parts are headed right to the assembly line to manufacture the new completed products, so there isn't any kind of inventory built up for spare parts yet. It makes sense to take a required part from an OOS unit to keep another unit in service, (instead of having two OOS units) especially if it would be a lengthy delay in getting the part from the manufacturer. There is also an additional benefit: Amtrak mechanics get additional training time/practice in working on the unit

Here's Amtrak #6(05) with the newest parts donor Cities Sprinter near Chillicothe, Iowa this morning.

So, does anyone know what parts are breaking on these brand new units that require replacing?

I wonder about the big items comment. It seems to me that many big items as in electric motors and drive electronics cannot be shared between the HHP-8s and Acela power heads because of the inherent significant difference in power ratings and also size. Am I incorrect in surmising that Acela power heads and HHP-8s share neither the motors nor the trucks, or at least significant set of parts in the trucks, and the drive electronics, and the main transformer/rectifier packs?
You are correct about the traction motor size difference and truck difference. There is also a brake difference. However, their are still plenty of components such as (the extremely expensive) power modules, speed control systems, safety systems that can go in as is or after a software flash.

Finally got to ride behind a Brat this afternoon. 604 had the guilty pleasure of pulling this guy back home today. When the guy on the head end started blowing for the shoreline crossings I was a sleep. Needless to say I pretty much jumped out of my sleep and seat when I heard the horn for the first time. No joke.. :eek:

According to a post on trainorders, #622 is making its way east on CZ #6 (9/23). So it should get to CHI on Thursday, but how many hours late remains to be seen.

A person in Colorado caught AMTK 622 on the California Zephyr in Winter Park today. Looks like now is the time to ride the Zephyr to see fall colors in the Rockies.

I was able to catch AMTK 622 on the California Zephyr a few times in southeast Iowa today. Train #6(23) was running over three and half hours late today. Also the sightseer lounge was replaced with a diner-lounge for this train.

Dudley, Iowa:

Back