ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently there are only three HHP-8s left in active service on Amtrak. I'm kind of wondering when the last one is gonna go.
According to GenePoon on trainorders, there is now only one HHP-8, #651, listed in the database as on the active roster. The issue that was discussed a while back of what Amtrak would do when ACS-64 delivered unit numbers reached #650 appears to be moot as the HHP-8s will all be in dead storage by then.

Railway Age report on Siemens starting a 15 year technical support contract: ACS-64 technical support agreement under way. I wonder if this means there has been a transition from product debug and test phase to a revenue service operational support and deployment phase. Excerpt:

The Siemens Infrastructure & Cities Sector, Rail Systems Division has begun its 15-year technical support and spare parts supply agreement with Amtrak for the new ACS-64 electric locomotives in operation on the Northeast Corridor. The first of 70 units entered revenue service in February 2014.

As part of this agreement, Siemens technicians will be on-site at four locations (Boston, New York, Wilmington, Del., and Washington, D.C.) to provide technical expertise, spare parts and engineering support. These technicians will be utilizing Siemens remote monitoring, which analyzes data sent wirelessly from each locomotive and enables proactive condition-based maintenance.

Apparently there are only three HHP-8s left in active service on Amtrak. I'm kind of wondering when the last one is gonna go.
According to GenePoon on trainorders, there is now only one HHP-8, #651, listed in the database as on the active roster. The issue that was discussed a while back of what Amtrak would do when ACS-64 delivered unit numbers reached #650 appears to be moot as the HHP-8s will all be in dead storage by then.
GenePoon is not a reliable source, but since there were only three a few days ago (651, 654, 655) I wouldn't be surprised if he's right.

This is probably old news, but I did see ACS-64 #618 pulling a silver service train out of WAS this morning. Looked really nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! thank you, sorry about that. (this is what happens when you try and do work and peruse forums at the same time... maybe i should go back and double check that spreadsheet i was working on then!!)

Amtrak #6(04) has ACS-64 623 on it today. It came through Agency, Iowa just over four hours late. This one surprised me, but there was a heads-up on Trainorders that I'm sorry that I missed.

I've been informed by a person in Colorado that they saw the an ACS-64 on the California Zephyr today. This would be Amtrak #6(05). If true, I think this would be the first time of having ACS-64s two days in a row.

#6(05) does have AMTK 624 on it. It was just over three hours late through Agency, Iowa. But it is also missing its baggage car and still missing the sightseer lounge (diner-lounge is still substituting).

#6(05) does have AMTK 624 on it. It was just over three hours late through Agency, Iowa. But it is also missing its baggage car and still missing the sightseer lounge (diner-lounge is still substituting).
So are #623 and #624 going to sit there at Chicago with no CL available for the move east (for now) or would Amtrak put them on the Cardinal? Which would lead to a rare opportunity for photos or videos.

So are #623 and #624 going to sit there at Chicago with no CL available for the move east (for now) or would Amtrak put them on the Cardinal? Which would lead to a rare opportunity for photos or videos.
I imagine the Cardinal being a likely candidate for shipping the two electrics east. Since the Cardinal now has two sleepers, is it running with only one P-42 still or does it have a pair? If both electrics are ready and a second P-42 is available, I say sandwiching the two ACS's in between and high-balling to WAS is in order via the Cardinal!

I saw #624 on Saturday morning sitting in the Ivy City yard pulling out of WAS. Must have arrived on the #50(10/09) Cardinal on Friday night. So there are now 25 ACS-64s on the east coast.

#608 was used in revenue service on Keystone 605 on Monday, so they are now cleared for Keystone push-pull service. Amtrak issued a press release about it, I assume so they and PennDOT could get positive publicity for the Keystones: New Locomotives Herald New Era for Keystone Service. Excerpt:

PHILADELPHIA Passengers on todays Train 605 from Philadelphia to Harrisburg were aboard the first Keystone Service train in revenue operation to be powered by the modern and reliable Amtrak Cities Sprinter (ACS-64) electric locomotive.

Use of the high-tech locomotives is the latest step forward in the long-standing partnership between Amtrak and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania which share the revenue as well as operating and equipment maintenance costs of the Keystone Service.
BTW, the Keystone service had 94% on-time performance in September, so it has become one of Amtrak's most reliable services.

I found this railfan photoshop on Facebook page; what do you guys think? Credits to the original photographer:

10568935_4640553587807_6946413609980320921_n.jpg

Back