ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AMTK 643 has left the museum and is now going east on Amtrak #6(09). There's also private varnish The Patrón Tequila Express on the end of the train. This Zephyr was three and half hours late out of Ottumwa, Iowa.
What's the approximate speed as it passes that location, if you know?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the approximate speed as it passes that location, if you know?
Speed limit is 79 mph for passenger trains here. I think they usually go about that speed.
Thanks - that's what I would have thought, it looks like it is going slower in the video (nice catch, by the way). You can tell it is moving along, Just not as fast as I thought it would be.

Sorry if it's off-topic, but a question about pulling stuff. I've seen several vids of various trains with the ACS-64 in the consist. Obviously, not powered. Does that amount of dead weight contribute a lot to the workload of the motive power pulling it?

Oh, nice vid too!

An ACS-64 weighs about 98 tons

A Superliner weighs about 68 tons, so a dead locomotive weighs more than one Superliner but less than two.

The drag of pulling a dead locomotive may be slightly more than that though as the traction gearbox causes additional drag. But probably less than a ton, so negligible in the bigger picture.

642 is almost done and 644 is ready to be picked up.

At what point do they have enough ACS-64s cleared for revenue service before the AEM-7 ACs locomotives start getting retired? With 28 AEM-7 ACs on the active roster, I think the start of retirement of the AC units is not that far off.
They started retiring some of the problem remans already.

If it can be proven the accident was due to a manufacturing fault on the part of Siemens I suppose. Otherwise no. And if it was the locomotives' fault then I think Siemens will have considerably more liability on its hands than a single warranty repair.

Beats me. I've only seen the same pictures everyone else has. Probably depends on the internal damage. The shell can be fixed/replaced relatively easily, but the components are the expensive part. I doubt even Amtrak knows this early, I expect the NTSB is still examining it.

Any updates on 642?
There's a report that Beech Grove finished it on Sunday, but I haven't seen any pictures or videos to confirm that.
As posted in the Amtrak Northeast Corridor Railfans Facebook group:

HAWT:

17768_1646651718898603_7042692289606255312_n.jpg

Do you think 601 will be fixed or retired.
My hunch is that its going to be fixed.

But then I guess there is a grey area between fixing a loco by replacing the broken bits, and building a new loco using some bits salvaged from the wreck.

This report says AMTK 644 and 645 are both heading east on Amtrak #6(23).
#645 would be the 46th unit delivered. Which puts the production delivery just under the 2/3rds point out of 70 units total. With 7 months left in 2015, Siemens appears to be on track to complete the production run by the end of the calendar year or by very early 2016.

Back