Adding a passenger to reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronkstevens

Service Attendant
I have a trip planned and booked for myself, with sleeper room accomidations each way. I was going to make the trip myself, but my wife is now able to go along with me.

1. Is it easy to add an extra passenger to my reservation, since she will share the room with me?

2. Will the price just increase for the fare for her ticket (since the room is already booked and paid for), or will the room also increase to the latest bucket price?

Just call Amtrak and add her to your reservation. The cost will be the current coach seat price. The roomette charge is the same whether it is for one or two people, so there won't be any additional cost there.

The cost will be the low bucket coach price, not the current coach price.

It's somewhat easy to do, if you get the right agent. It the agent wants to reprice the room, bail immediately.

It may be easier to do what's called an "open sleeper" ticket. Basically it's a ticket to be in *a* room, on a different reservation. That will get you the same thing for the same cost, and it seems to be a lot easier for the agents to do without screwing your reservation up.

If you tell us what end points and train you're taking, we can tell you what the correct price should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum running on the clearly superior iOS 7

Definitely need to do this over the phone. (Well, you might be able to do it in person at a station -- can't do it in an automated fashion, though.) If the agent acts confused or attempts to reprice it, get a different agent.

It may be easier to do what's called an "open sleeper" ticket. Basically it's a ticket to be in *a* room, on a different reservation. That will get you the same thing for the same cost, and it seems to be a lot easier for the agents to do without screwing your reservation up.
I'll vote for an Open Sleeper ticket too. IMHO, less chance of something going wrong.

AFAIK the Open Sleeper tickets are still live tickets, not e-tickets. So when you pick up the tickets from an agent or QuikTrak machine make sure you keep track of them. If you lose a live ticket you must purchase another one to replace it, you can't just print another one like an e-ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back