Advice for Boston/Portland please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i aim to go to Portland and Boston in late October. The 176 NER gets to BOS around 8:15pm and there's a Downeaster at 10:30 I believe. I would rather spend a night along the way rather than have such a late arrival POR as well as traveling the northern part in darkness. Which of the stops in Connecticut or Rhode Island would be better, i.e., something to see or do within walking distance of the station? I will get an airbnb. I'm thinking Providence but I'm not sure as I've never been there: 1 night in Providence (?), 2 nights in POR and 2 nights in Boston on the way back.

Also if the next morning I get the NER that arrives BBY at 11 am, can I get the Downeaster from BON at 11:35am? The Amtrak website says allow15 minutes for that transfer on the Orange line. What happens if I don't make it? I could take a bus option of course but I'd rather take the train! :giggle:

That connection between BON, and BBY is tight to make.

If the Downeaster is on time and you are traveling light you should be OK.

The Orange Line stop is about 1 block further than it used to be as the area where that stop was is under development.

If you wind up too late to make the connection call the 800 line to rebook.

At 11:00 am 7 days per week traffic in the HUB is heavy a bus connection would not be faster.

Ken

Providence is a good stop. There are many hotels nearby, being the state capital. The station is right downtown, in fact the Capitol building is right across the street! Almost next to the station is a large mall, with many restaurants also.

If your NER is running late, call the 800 number to re-book, and stay on the NER through BBY to BOS. The bus connection to Portland leaves from BOS; it's Downeaster trains only from BON.

If you try to book the tickets, it will not list it as an option, meaning it's not a guaranteed connection. So if you opt to do it you will have to book the tickets separately, and if train 190 is late by even a few minutes, or if you encounter any delays on the orange line, you will have to call to rebook, and you will be responsible for any additional fare if fares have gone up, if you're attempting to go to the next Downeaster train. Or else you will have to ride the bus, but will have to buy a ticket on your own through Dartmouth Coach, since Amtrak can not sell you a ticket just for a bus.

I don't know if doing a multi-city ticket booking will give you a workaround, but then you're just complicating the situation first.

I like Providence for stopping then schedule morning departures but allow enough time between arrival and departure since you have to change stations in Boston. I love Maine, such a beautiful state. Have a great trip.

If you stop in Providence you can also take mbta commuter rail into Boston (follows the same route as Amtrak) and due the same transfer. It will give you the option of additional times.

Thanks everyone for the info. I didn't know about mbta commuter rail. NER 190, Triley, is indeed late most days in recent weeks so that won't work - don't need the stress!

I guess mbta train on the same tracks at about the same time runs a similar OTP?

It looks like the only reasonable option is to the 11:55am NER 170 and transfer to the bus to POR arriving 4:10 pm. That's gives me the morning in PVD and some of the afternoon in POR. I can take the Downeaster back to BON a couple days later.

I will check out mbta communter + Dartmouth Coach price points, but the Amtrak cancelability is hard to let go of!!

LATER: It appears to be Concord Coach Lines, not Dartmouth. It also appears this option is scarcely cheaper than Amtrak.

Thanks again for helping see all the options, and non-options haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Concord Coach lines runs often between Boston South Station as well as Logan Airport and Portland. They are a good company. In our case living in Boston, Portland is one of our Get a way spots. We usually take the train one way and Concord the other.

Downeaster 683 (weekdays) leaves BON at 1:05 pm and 693 (weekends) leaves BON at 12:10pm. This should be plenty of time to connect from BBY.

It looks like the 11:35am time you got is from the 681 arrival time in Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the info. I didn't know about mbta commuter rail. NER 190, Triley, is indeed late most days in recent weeks so that won't work - don't need the stress!

I guess mbta train on the same tracks at about the same time runs a similar OTP?

It looks like the only reasonable option is to the 11:55am NER 170 and transfer to the bus to POR arriving 4:10 pm. That's gives me the morning in PVD and some of the afternoon in POR. I can take the Downeaster back to BON a couple days later.

I will check out mbta communter + Dartmouth Coach price points, but the Amtrak cancelability is hard to let go of!!

LATER: It appears to be Concord Coach Lines, not Dartmouth. It also appears this option is scarcely cheaper than Amtrak.

Thanks again for helping see all the options, and non-options haha
My apologies, I can never keep them straight. Boston Express (the service I use to commute to/from work), Concord Coach, and Dartmouth Coach are all owned and operated by the same guy anyway.

Off subject, but kinda excited that we now have nonstop service between my city and NYC now on a premium service offered by Concord Coach...I should see if they'd let me ride that free as well. Hmm...

Back