Advice on taking the Canadian?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode from Vancouver to Toronto @ the end of Feb last year and agree its a great time to ride, even then the freights get priority so expect to be running late but that's part of the adventure on this fantastic trip!

I'll look at february, but December-January is the time I'm most interested in, because I'm in college and I have a ton of time off at that time, which means it's most convenient around then. Does anyone know how it is around Christmas?

I rode the Canadian the first week of December last year (Trip Report Here:)

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/58023-a-winter-ride-on-vias-canadian-with-photos/

With two coaches and four sleepers......Id say we were about 3\4 occupied across the country but a full load out of Jasper the last evening into Vancouver with 3 seatings in the diner.

After December 15.....the train starts to get busy for the holidays and the discount fares are fewer.

.....And someone mentioned the daylight available for mountain viewing. Heres Sunrise/Sunset at Jasper:

Dec 1 8:40am/4:40pm

Feb 15 8:10am/6:00pm

Jun 21 5:30am/10:20pm

I rode from Vancouver to Toronto @ the end of Feb last year and agree its a great time to ride, even then the freights get priority so expect to be running late but that's part of the adventure on this fantastic trip!
I think that many of the Canadian National freights may be configured too long today to fit into some of the sidings, so the Canadian has to go into sidings on the mostly-single track line across the country.

I think that many of the Canadian National freights may be configured too long today to fit into some of the sidings, so the Canadian has to go into sidings on the mostly-single track line across the country.
How'd that happen? I heard they have 200-car freights, longest I've counted on UPRR was about 131.

Well, then first post on this board.

The Canadian is a great ride, and I would really recommend doing it. Three years ago, I did the Toronto - Vancouver trip with my father and grandfather (40, 62, and 88 respectively - guess who got the top bunk in the cabin for three).

Views from the domes (park or skyline) are great, as is the staff - in my experience, they alert you to photo ops, and are in communication with the head end, so if the engineer spots a bear alongside the track, you get a warning to look out for it. Food is great, but the dining car is configured in tables for four, so if you're in a smaller party, you will meet new people. No cell service in most of the wilderness. The train rattles and rolls (as most do), so showering onboard can be a challenge (88 year old grandfather). Do what we did, if you can go two days without - at the service stop in Winnipeg, grab a cab to the Fairmont hotel Winnipeg, and pop the $10 for a health club day pass - worth every penny to shave / shower on dry, stable land.

Explore the train, if you're in a sleeper, they won't stop you from wandering coach. Free wifi at station stops.

Enjoy the ride!

Thinking about stopping over in Jasper for 3 days during my 2nd go at the Canadian (with a better camera, hopefully!) this December - how do I book with VIA Rail so that I get off at Jasper for 3 days?

Also, thinking about taking a drive down the Icefields Parkway - is there anywhere to gas up in winter, or would I need to limit my trip/carry gas with me? If the Icefields is closed, what else is there to do while I'm in Jasper? I know about the lake and Maligne Canyon, I've also thought about walking through the area the Canadian takes through Jasper Nat'l Park.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about stopping over in Jasper for 3 days during my 2nd go at the Canadian (with a better camera, hopefully!) this December - how do I book with VIA Rail so that I get off at Jasper for 3 days?

Also, thinking about taking a drive down the Icefields Parkway - is there anywhere to gas up in winter, or would I need to limit my trip/carry gas with me? If the Icefields is closed, what else is there to do while I'm in Jasper? I know about the lake and Maligne Canyon, I've also thought about walking through the area the Canadian takes through Jasper Nat'l Park.
If you are doing an “Express Deal” you’ll have to do individual segments. But if you plan to stopover…..why not book a package with train fare, hotel and car rental included?

Gas?......no need to limit your trip, it’s 140 miles (230 km) between Jasper and Lake Louise and both places are on major highways with plenty of gas. Just leave Jasper with a full tank. In fact you could probably make a round trip on a tank.

Download the Icefield Parkway in Winter brochure here:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/depliants-brochures.aspx

The brochure says no gas available but on a ski trip in March a couple of years ago, we found the gas stop at Saskatchewan River Crossing open (about 90 miles south of Jasper) “The Crossing”:

http://thecrossingresort.com/

(click on features for gas info and just to be sure….email them to confirm)

…..and I wouldn’t walk the area the Canadian takes through Jasper Park…..the snow can be deep in winter. The Yellowhead Highway parallels most of the route anyway, so just stay in your car and watch the action. It’s CN’s transcontinental mainline and busy.

Just back from westbound trip Toronto to Vancouver. As soon as you board you are invited to visit one of the dome cars for champagne and canapés.

When does VIA Rail start discounts for winter? Also, what would the (rough) price for a Cabin for Two during the winter discounts? I've heard it's 50-75%, but I don't know for sure.

When does VIA Rail start discounts for winter? Also, what would the (rough) price for a Cabin for Two during the winter discounts? I've heard it's 50-75%, but I don't know for sure.
Generally via.ca starts posting Express and 50% Off Fares for the Candian after Canada's Thanksgiving (/which is in Oct.), Blacks out the Christmas/ New Years Holidays and then runs them until May! During the Winter the Train consist is much shorter so discount fares go fast!

The various types of Sleeping Car Fares are Sections ( Upper and Lower Berths), Cabins for One ( similar to an Amtrak Roomette but smaller), Cabins for Two ( like Amtrak's Bedrooms) and Cabins for Three ( similar to a Drawing Room on the old Pullman/Heritage Sleepers/

Prices can range from $500ish CDN to $ 1,000+ CDN ( per person unlike Amtrak which only charges One Room Charge) which is a deal compared to Summer Fares of Thousands of Dollars!

It's a Bucket List trip and Worth every Penny!!

Thanks for the help everyone - I'm booked in a Cabin for One from Toronto to Jasper on January 6, and another CfO from Jasper to Vancouver on the 13th! Looking forward to my second trip west!

Amfleeter- may I suggest staying in Jasper at the Austrian Haven B&B , just a few blocks walk from the station. Run by a lovely older lady, she may close for a time in the winter, but worth inquiring about. Tell her Eric sent you!

Amfleeter: If you're not traveling on a deep discount fare, check what your total fare is versus a through fare. If you're paying more, consider giving VIA a call...you should be permitted a stopover in Jasper as if it were a through reservation, if I'm not mistaken about VIA's stopover policy.

I booked a stopover into my reservation - it's a multi-city ticket. Got discount fares on both departures, so it's the same price as it would be if I went straight Toronto-Vancouver on a discount fare.

I'll look into that, cats! I was looking at the Maligne Lodge but I'll take a peek.

If you dont stay there....at least visit Jasper Park Lodge, perhaps for a meal. It was originally a CN-Canadian National Hotel....then Canadian Pacific and now a Fairmont with the prices that go with it!

http://www.fairmont.com/jasper/

Image.jpg

Image%20(2).jpg

Back