Am I allowed to wear this on a train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeakz2001

Service Attendant
I am taking the Cardinal from CIN to CHI and back this Valetines Day. Now, I know that normally they don't do security checks on people (like at airports), but I am a little concerned. I wear a band on my left arm. On it is attached something called a BodyBugg (which is about the size of an IPod, and measures the amount of calories you burn for the day). Its to help me calculate my calorie deficit in order to lose weight faster. My problem is that I am afraid that 'security people' may think it is some sort of bad device that is strapped to my body. I really want to wear it on my trip, and I don't want to get it taken away from me by some cop who thinks its an explosive device.

What is the probability that this would become a problem? For more info on what the Bugg looks like, go to www.bodybugg.com.

Thanks! Looking forward to my next trip!

Kim <><

The onus seems to be on you to provide evidence that any suspicious item in your possession is harmless.

I imagine that if you wear the item under your shirt/coat you might not draw attention to yourself.

I have never had any security body scan while boarding a train, but they might increase security in the future.

I guess you could remove the item while you pass through security and replace it afterwards?

Ed B)

I don't see any issue wearing the body bug.

Just don't take any train pictures while wearing it.

Most folks know about the security at airports - everyone I spoke with was amazed that Amtrak has such loose security.

I know we are required to carry ID, but I have never been asked for it on the train - at the car rental counter they want my driver's license, but I tell Amtrak who I am and if my ticket is signed, no problem.

I love it :D

Sweet! I've never had any security issues while boarding or on a train either. I just wasn't sure that it would be ok. I didn't want to come across scary-like! Thanks! Kim <><

I have to admit, when I first saw the subject line I half expected the item in question to be something like...

ELF-bob.jpg

Which picture was S/A Pat. I am going to San Diego soon and would like to meet him if he is on duty.

Ideally he would pose for a picture with me.

If we meet I could ask him what devices he wears on trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two new topics should be opened up for discussion:

What can be worn on a train, which someone else already suggested,

and

What does Special Agent Pat look like? That could be fun!

We really need to start that thread about S/A Pat because it might be fun! I know that some of us could have some (legal) fun with him!

What does Special Agent Pat look like? That could be fun!
Not only do I know what he looks like I was at his wedding and posted a pic of him in the appropriate thread. Check it out ;)

Most folks know about the security at airports - everyone I spoke with was amazed that Amtrak has such loose security.
I know we are required to carry ID, but I have never been asked for it on the train - at the car rental counter they want my driver's license, but I tell Amtrak who I am and if my ticket is signed, no problem.

I've seen conductors check everyone ID as they go up and down the isle collecting tickets.

I've seen conductors check everyone ID as they go up and down the isle collecting tickets.
i have never been asked for ID nor have i seen conducters ask for it. I have it in my hand ready but have never been asked for it yet.

Nor have I. The closest I've come is when I don't sign my ticket (paid with a credit card). Many times, the Conductor gives me his/her pen so I can sign, goes further down the car collecting tickets and then comes back to me to get my ticket and his/her pen!

But you're right, you never know!

I've been asked for ID a few times while onboard. I think that all of the times have actually been on an Acela, but I won't swear to that.

Aloha

On our 4 -4-4-4 chanting :lol: trip that conductor had All of us sign, yes including Evan, which I think he regretted as she printed slowly,

He did accept her toy as the 4th in the group of 4 seats., Christine and I had a good laugh at that. :lol:

I hope my TE ride is half as much fun as that trip was, with the Gathering group :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back