Amazing Customer Service at AGR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
Last year when I was reserving my crosscountry/crossCanada trip, I had an exceptional AGR rep who was able to get me a great rate on one of the parts of my trip. I thought it was an exception and I was very thankful that she was able to pull it off!

Today I was just a little short on points for a trip from WAS and the AGR site to purchase points was not opening properly. The bedroom price was actually lower than the roomette price. Well, she didn't have the authority to go in and buy the extra points, but she put me on hold while she got a supervisor.

We were on hold quite a while and during that time, the bedroom price went up a lot. I figured I should just forget about it since it would now cost more for a room than I felt I should spend. I waited for her or the supervisor to come back on the phone and I was going to tell them that the price had gone up and now I didn't want to buy the points.

What I didn't know was that she had locked in the lower price for me while she was getting a supervisor! Yay! I'm going to Washington! At the price I wanted to pay!

The sad part is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get a compliment into AGR's personnel files. I asked her if there was and she said no and that she was just happy she could help me.

With all the complaining about AGR, I'm so happy I have AGR. It's been good to me again and again!

Last year when I was reserving my crosscountry/crossCanada trip, I had an exceptional AGR rep who was able to get me a great rate on one of the parts of my trip. I thought it was an exception and I was very thankful that she was able to pull it off! Today I was just a little short on points for a trip from WAS and the AGR site to purchase points was not opening properly. The bedroom price was actually lower than the roomette price. Well, she didn't have the authority to go in and buy the extra points, but she put me on hold while she got a supervisor. We were on hold quite a while and during that time, the bedroom price went up a lot. I figured I should just forget about it since it would now cost more for a room than I felt I should spend. I waited for her or the supervisor to come back on the phone and I was going to tell them that the price had gone up and now I didn't want to buy the points. What I didn't know was that she had locked in the lower price for me while she was getting a supervisor! Yay! I'm going to Washington! At the price I wanted to pay! The sad part is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get a compliment into AGR's personnel files. I asked her if there was and she said no and that she was just happy she could help me. With all the complaining about AGR, I'm so happy I have AGR. It's been good to me again and again!
Nearly everyone on AU was extremely pleased with AGR1 and most folks remained quite satisfied with AGR1.5, or at least that's how it seemed to me. Then AGR2 came along and substantially increased the cost of points while simultaneously reducing their purchasing power, in some cases rather drastically. It also changed where/when/how points are earned along with where/when/how they can be spent. Those changes have severely impacted the fundamental benefits of AGR2 relative to AGR1/1.5 and have led to the vast majority of complaints. Outside of folks who tried to secure abusive routing options I don't think most folks were particularly bothered by the call center staff. I did have some random troubles with agents being difficult or simply going rogue and ignoring their own rules back during the AGR1.5 days, but that began clearing up during Anthony's tenure and wasn't much an issue by the time AGR2 rolled in. For me and for many others the primary issues we have with AGR2 remain in full effect regardless of who picks up the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Betty, nice trip!

AGR does have lots of helpful agents and Supervisors.

You can call Customer Relations and leave a compliment about the agent and the good service, I do it often!

You can also post on on the AGR Forum on Flyertalk and let AGR Insider ( Anthony) know about your experience.

They are often pleasantly surprised since most calls they receive are complaints.

I've always had a good experience with the AGR agents although not to the extent you describe. A couple of years ago I was booking a LA to DC round trip for my wife and I. As usual, the outbound leg was on my "dime" (points) and the return on her points. I miscalculated and she came up a tad short. The AGR agent patiently waited while I went online and transferred a thousand points from my account to my wife's account. When the agent saw the points posted, she completed the redemption booking.

Another example of AGR rep good customer service. This past Sunday May 1, I first called the regular Amtrak number to make a reservation(wanted to select specific roomette) and was put on hold first time about 10 minutes and second time over 20 minutes. In both cases I eventually hung up. The automatic voice answers advised me to call back the next day because of high call volume. I am Amtrak Select so I decided to call AGR. AGR answered the call immediately and the AGR rep was very polite and quickly booked my travel and I got the exact roomette and also got to request the specific car number 532 for CZ and 1131 for CS. And the AGR reps thanked me for being a Amtrak Guest Rewards member.

So, if you are not already, begin calling AGR to make reservations, etc. instead of the regular Amtrak number when you decide to "call" instead of booking on line.

Back