Amenities Being Eliminated from Long Distance Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone has a smart phone. I for one, think it is a waste of money.
True, this!

My g/f has an IPhone and she calls my very old Nokia (that lets me see my email and get phone calls only) a "middle school dropout phone" :eek:
Some of us live in areas with no cell service. Not much point in an expensive plan we can only use on the road. That leaves us dependent on public wi-fi when we travel.

There's a huge gap (filled with other hotels) that fall between "fancy hotel with cookies" and "Motel 6".
There sure is, I agree!Never said DoubleTree or Marriott's were "fancy hotels with cookies", though...did I?
I cannot fathom how you're claiming that she's advocating for Motel 6 otherwise.
I did not claim that, did I? I simply asked a sincere question, in a nice manner. Please refrain from misquoting me. Thanks in advance for that consideration, kind sir.
Let's go to the videotape, shall we?

To be fair, those hotels with the cookies and such also cost more than other hotels.
So, and I mean this nicely, are you advocating that Amtrak "First Class" be equivalent to Motel 6?
Why would you ask this if you didn't think that she was?

There's a huge gap (filled with other hotels) that fall between "fancy hotel with cookies" and "Motel 6".
There sure is, I agree!Never said DoubleTree or Marriott's were "fancy hotels with cookies", though...did I?
I cannot fathom how you're claiming that she's advocating for Motel 6 otherwise.
I did not claim that, did I? I simply asked a sincere question, in a nice manner. Please refrain from misquoting me. Thanks in advance for that consideration, kind sir.
Let's go to the videotape, shall we?

To be fair, those hotels with the cookies and such also cost more than other hotels.
So, and I mean this nicely, are you advocating that Amtrak "First Class" be equivalent to Motel 6?
Why would you ask this if you didn't think that she was?
Uh, the same reason any other question is asked....to get an answer. I never have preconceived notions of what an answer to a question about a personal opinion might be. Apparently some here do, however. Thank you for your interest in my sincere questions to others though.

Unfortunately, however, it has come to the point where I must cease replying to your commentary. It is getting tiresome, and has a twinge of animosity coming from your side of the conversation. Have a great night, sir. Be blessed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the date (NOT!)....March 31....the day I am scheduled for my return from Reno via CZ-CS-EB. Never been on the EB (except for MSP-CHI) and was looking forward to the little extras. Guess I will have to bring my own wine and cheese.

As for newspapers, call me old fashioned, but I still like the feel of a paper in my hand and the sound of a turning page. I also enjoy reading the local papers wherever I travel to. It would be nice if there were at least newspaper boxes at the stops where there are fresh air breaks so you could get a paper.

That is not what I said at all. You missed the whole point of my post. As Ryan said, there are a LOT of hotels between Hilton-quality and Motel 6-quality. Just because a hotel doesn't have cookies and dry cleaning doesn't mean they have bedbugs and cocaine residue on the coffee table.

Assuming the EB and SWC are the same price, then it doesn't make sense to have perks on one and not on the other.

IF, the EB is more expensive than the SWC, and the price doesn't drop after this, then I can see why people would be upset.

To break it down even further, here is an example (I'm making up the amenities and prices):

Hilton gives you a pool, dry cleaning, turn-down service, and cookies. The room is $175/night.

Holiday Inn has the exact same amenities and does not give you cookies. The room is $175/night.

If Hilton stopped providing cookies, that makes them equal with Holiday Inn.

Now, if Hilton was $200/night and the Holiday Inn was $175/night and the Hilton didn't lower their prices after stopping the cookies, then I can see why Hilton lovers would be mad.

In this case, the EB and CS are Hilton, and the SWC, etc are the Holiday Inn. That's why I'm thinking that if both trains are the same price, then it doesn't make sense to get upset about not having perks on one but not the other. I can see why Hilton would do it, since they are a separate brand, but let's say both hotels are owned by the same company. In Amtrak's case, all of the trains are Amtrak, so it's bizarre that some trains have these amenities but others don't, unless those trains with the amenities are more expensive. I'm not saying ALL First Class should be lowered to zilch. I'm saying it makes more sense for the First Class amenities to be equal across ALL of the trains. So they'll all be Holiday Inns now instead of some being Hiltons.

That is what I meant by my original post. I'm not sure how to break it down further. I even admitted I can't really cost compare both trains, due to the buckets changing all the time, but it would be interesting to compare them for this example. I simply don't have time to run several scenarios, as I'm busy studying for a test and writing a paper.

If Amtrak thinks this will help their bottom line, so be it. I wasn't in the number-crunchers' room when they came up with this decision, so I have to trust those accountants, and if it means Amtrak bleeds out even 1000 fewer dollars, then fine. They have to start somewhere. What would you cut? Service? Cars? Employees? Food? Towels and washcloths? No. You'd get rid of the frills first so you didn't have to lay off employees or cut service. If you got laid off and suddenly had to live on 1/2 of your salary, what would go first - the mortgage or the department store credit card?

I've had to edit my post several times. When I start trying to make sense of my own brain, I can't really expect others to. So, I'm out. This is why I try not to participate in political/financial/etc threads. I'll stick to the, "How Do I Order in the Diner" type stuff from now on. ^_^ :p

That is not what I said at all. You missed the whole point of my post.

Assuming the EB and SWC are the same price, then it doesn't make sense to have perks on one and not on the other.

IF, the EB is more expensive than the SWC, and the price doesn't drop after this, then I can see why people would be upset.

To break it down even further, here is an example (I'm making up the amenities and prices):

Hilton gives you a pool, dry cleaning, turn-down service, and cookies. The room is $175/night.

Holiday Inn has the exact same amenities and does not give you cookies. The room is $175/night.

Now, if Hilton was $200/night and the Holiday Inn was $175/night and the Hilton didn't lower their prices after stopping the cookies, then I can see why Hilton lovers would be mad.

In this case, the EB and CS are Hilton, and the SWC, etc are the Holiday Inn. That's why I'm thinking that if both trains are the same price, then it doesn't make sense to have perks on one and not the other. I can see why Hilton does it, since they are a separate brand, but let's say both hotels are owned by the same company. In Amtrak's case, all of the trains are Amtrak, so it's bizarre that some trains have these amenities but others don't, unless those trains with the amenities are more expensive.

That is what I meant by my original post. I'm not sure how to break it down further. I even admitted I can't really cost compare both trains, due to the bucket system, but it would be interesting to compare them for this example. I simply don't have time to run several scenarios, as I'm busy studying for a test and writing a paper. Maybe, someday, I will, but to be honest, I don't care.

If Amtrak thinks this will help their bottom line, so be it. I wasn't in the number-crunchers' room when they came up with this decision, so I have to trust those accountants, and if it means Amtrak bleeds out even 1000 fewer dollars, then fine. They have to start somewhere. What would you cut? Service? Cars? Employees? Food? Towels and washcloths? No. You'd get rid of the frills first so you didn't have to lay off employees or cut service. When you do your monthly budget and realize you're making less money this month (for whatever reason), what goes first - the mortgage or the department store credit card?
I simply disagree. I am not saying you are wrong or right, nor am I saying I am right or wrong, I simply disagree....... IMHO, just because one route offers a different experience than another one does, it should not mean that all routes should be denigrated to the lowest common denominator. Now, if we are talking about UPgrading all routes to be like the CS or the (current) EB, I bet we would all be in agreement! But, sadly, that is not in the cards. :(

I would not advocate the removal of any perk (like the PPC on the CS) just because the Texas Eagle or other routes do not have one. We get Miss Polly again as a perk on the Eagle, I have heard. :lol:

But, of course, that is just my opinion. YMMV.

I do respect your opinion, and I get what you're saying.

My main point is that if it saves Amtrak money to make their First Class service uniform across all trains, then I get why they're doing it. I'd rather skip the champagne than lose service or have employees laid off. I don't see it as a "lowest common denominator" thing, but maybe that's because I'm happy with "just" a bed, shower, meals, SCA, etc. I feel like I get my money's worth (okay... points' worth). ;) To me, the "lowest common denominator" would be if they went the way of the airlines and made us pay for meals, tried to cram more roomettes into the cars, reduced the carry-on allowance, etc. Until that happens, I feel having a private room with meals included is pretty hoity-toity. :)

But then again, I'm "new money". ;)

I do respect your opinion, and I get what you're saying.

My main point is that if it saves Amtrak money to make their First Class service uniform across all trains, then I get why they're doing it. I'd rather skip the champagne than lose service or have employees laid off. I don't see it as a "lowest common denominator" thing, but maybe that's because I'm happy with "just" a bed, shower, meals, SCA, etc. I feel like I get my money's worth (okay... points' worth). ;) To me, the "lowest common denominator" would be if they went the way of the airlines and made us pay for meals, tried to cram more roomettes into the cars, reduced the carry-on allowance, etc. Until that happens, I feel having a private room with meals included is pretty hoity-toity. :)

But then again, I'm "new money". ;)
:)

If Amtrak thinks this will help their bottom line, so be it. I wasn't in the number-crunchers' room when they came up with this decision, so I have to trust those accountants, and if it means Amtrak bleeds out even 1000 fewer dollars, then fine. They have to start somewhere. What would you cut? Service? Cars? Employees? Food? Towels and washcloths? No. You'd get rid of the frills first so you didn't have to lay off employees or cut service. When you do your monthly budget, what goes first - the mortgage or the department store credit card?
If we follow your metaphor to its logical conclusion Amtrak has been broke for forty years and the only way they'll be able to pay off the mortgage is to sell nearly everything they own.

Firstly, I want to say I read some rather astute observations about this situation. I for one could not just sit still and wait for it to happen. I called Amtrak Customer Relations and voiced my displeasure. I stated I paid for a promised amenity and I expect it or to be compensated for its loss. I also said I would be okay, in the case of the wine and chess reception, to pay for that amenity...a sort of a opt in for a reasonable price. Long story short, I was assigned a case number and the nice lady(who did not have any amplifying information) said she would investigate and get back to me within 24 hours. I will post the results of this...if I ever hear back :unsure:
excellent move. let us know what comes of it. although amtrak used to give a voucher if one took the cs and the ppc was missing i have heard in the past few years they no longer will. even though it is an advertised amenity
That is true. However, since the PPC is only offered on one route, there might be some here who think it should be eliminated, since it is not on all the other routes. Myself, no way.....it is an enticement to try the CS and it is a great amenity on that train.

That is not what I said at all. You missed the whole point of my post. As Ryan said, there are a LOT of hotels between Hilton-quality and Motel 6-quality. Just because a hotel doesn't have cookies and dry cleaning doesn't mean they have bedbugs and cocaine residue on the coffee table.

In this case, the EB and CS are Hilton, and the SWC, etc are the Holiday Inn. That's why I'm thinking that if both trains are the same price, then it doesn't make sense to get upset about not having perks on one but not the other. I can see why Hilton would do it, since they are a separate brand, but let's say both hotels are owned by the same company. In Amtrak's case, all of the trains are Amtrak, so it's bizarre that some trains have these amenities but others don't, unless those trains with the amenities are more expensive. I'm not saying ALL First Class should be lowered to zilch. I'm saying it makes more sense for the First Class amenities to be equal across ALL of the trains. So they'll all be Holiday Inns now instead of some being Hiltons.

That is what I meant by my original post. I'm not sure how to break it down further. I even admitted I can't really cost compare both trains, due to the buckets changing all the time, but it would be interesting to compare them for this example. I simply don't have time to run several scenarios, as I'm busy studying for a test and writing a paper.

If Amtrak thinks this will help their bottom line, so be it. I wasn't in the number-crunchers' room when they came up with this decision, so I have to trust those accountants, and if it means Amtrak bleeds out even 1000 fewer dollars, then fine. They have to start somewhere. What would you cut? Service? Cars? Employees? Food? Towels and washcloths? No. You'd get rid of the frills first so you didn't have to lay off employees or cut service. If you got laid off and suddenly had to live on 1/2 of your salary, what would go first - the mortgage or the department store credit card?
I think a rational business plan could include amenities on one train not on another of the same pricing when there are economics of scale (ie more passengers). This would allow for a PPC on the CS and EB, but not likely on, for example, the SL. To use Sarah's analogy a Holiday Inn with 50 rooms might not have as many amenities as a 200 room facility within similar pricing and markets. Another rational scheme could be to offer differing, but equivalant (cost wise... value is in the eye of the holder) amemities to differentate trains from each other and assist in "branding".

A point not brought out yet is for Amtrak to clearly show a "profit" on their "hotel services" over and above coach fare, providing some justification to rational congresscritters to not mess with success (This will not stop mischiefmakers such as Mica whos apparent highway/airline support want passenger rail to fail, and increasing usage alarms them).

Removing the wine and cheese thing on the LSL is an error, and probably due to overreaction to the idiocy from Mica. This "reception" exists only because the LSL lost its dinner, and the diner employees are otherwise being paid, but doing absolutely nothing, that evening. The cost is trivial.

When will the LSL schedule get fixed to restore dinner? Amtrak was trying to do that in the LSL PIP and in the Capitol Limited PIP and it needs to happen ASAP. And if the schedule change doesn't happen, Amtrak needs to start offering dinner east of Albany, where the situation is unsatisfactory.

I don't have a problem with dropping any of the special things on the Empire Builder or Coast Starlight. I've been on both trains, and managed to not get several of the items (the chocolate square etc.), while the wine tastings seemed to encourage drunkenness, which wasn't good. (The LSL event, anyone who got drunk promptly slept it off.)

The cranberry juice looks like a practical measure; it was probably being underused and having to be tossed due to being expired.

The newspapers were obsolete thanks to wireless Internet news.

The flowers, sitting on paper tablecloths next to plastic dishes, always felt a bit too much like putting lipstick on a pig. If we could get real dishes and cloth tablecloths, I'd value that a lot more.

The wine tasting is a loss for those who drink wine. I don't (but have ZERO problem with those who do, unless they over do it), so no loss for me. Honestly though I thought Amtrak were "pushing" the wine & cheese a little too much, but I'm (very admittedly) a bit sensitive, having had more a couple of family member suffer from Cirrhosis. I probably wouldn't have been so sensitive though if they had of offered something for those of us who choose not to drink but c'est la vie.
On the LSL, they did. Martinelli's sparkling apple cider. (Nonalcoholic). Good stuff.

They also offered grapes for those who couldn't eat cheese!

To quote directly from http://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train as copied within the last five minutes...

"Sleeping car passengers can experience a full range of exclusive services and amenities on the Coast Starlight, including complimentary onboard internet access via AmtrakConnect and an exciting alternative meal service, both available in the Parlour Car. Each sleeping car passenger will receive complimentary meals (with the exception of alcohol) in the Dining Car or the Parlour Car, a special welcome gift and a personal amenities kit that includes shampoo, soaps and lotions. A daily tasting of local wines and artisan cheeses is available in the refurbished Pacific Parlour Car. This "living room on rails" is the perfect place for sleeping car passengers to relax, celebrate or socialize. With an onboard theater and alternative dining venue, the Pacific Parlour Car will make your Coast Starlight experience unforgettable."

[bolding and italics added]

If the bolded amenities change, this promotional wording at the website better end soon. Would hate to see Amtrak sued over false advertising.

In my experience, I do not usually meet people in the PPC who are even aware of AGR or AU. They were not hunting for bargains or looking to gain the most points, because they didn't even know about them. Instead, most of the people I meet are occasional travelers who "decided to try first class" and are impressed by and comment upon the amenities and social hour. Several have been international travelers who raved about the extras. If these things change, my impression is that such travelers will be less likely to promote Amtrak to their friends, and less likely to be return passengers. Give one of these sleeper passengers a roomette on the lower level on the wrong side of the CS, on a rainy day with dirty windows, remove all the amenities...their CS experience will be very forgettable.

Not so much for the service/amenity itself that they are cutting, but the mere fact that Amtrak is downgrading the service.
In the past Amtrak offered linen tablecloths, flatware, china, and glass glasses.

• Now it's disposable and plastic. ("Hey Amtrak, I thought you were "Green", NOT!)
In the past Amtrak had a small fleet of "true" lounge cars.
  • Now it's Amcafes, with tiny windows, tables on one/both ends,
The thing is, these are things I agree with you on. I don't give a damn about the flowers, but I'd really like the real china dishes back. And Amtrak absolutely needs to order single-level panoramic lounge cars.

And the LSL needs to provide dinner.

Jerry,

An excellent letter that focuses on the real problem with this amenity cuts. Where can we sign our names? :)
Likewise. I don't know if there's some way of setting this up so that more people can sign on, but you described the situation very well.

Everybody in business has heard the story of the guy who eliminated the olive in the airline salads and saved American a million dollars yadda yadda, but look at the airline coach foodservice now! It is a race to the bottom.
Leaving aside the questions of the truth or amount of actual savings in the olive story (debated here), a useful counterpoint to that story is Bob Farrell's "Pickle Principle", teaching his employees to not get hung up on disappointing customers with little piddly things like the cost of an extra pickle and just "give 'em the pickle". The principle is that the bad impression given by the argument over the price of the pickle is way more costly to the bottom line over the long run than just giving them the pickle. It costs virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things, and leaves a much better impression in the minds of customers.

As an aside, the first time that I realized that "consultants" in my industry were worthless was a convention where in the same day, two different "consultant" speakers gave the exact opposite advice in telling us the best way to treat our customers. One based her whole talk on the olive story, the other based his entire talk on the pickle story. The only thing I took home from that convention is that it was vitally important to be constantly concerned about which garnish to provide to which person when.
Never nickel and dime the customers. We don't like it.
The cleverest operations I've seen have a pretty basic base provision of services, but offer a surprising amount of extra stuff for free to anyone who complains, or who seems to be having trouble. This is tricky to do right. The classic example would be to not have any olives in the salad unless people asked for olives, but if they did, to provide them for free...

"Cranberry juice will still be provided in the dining car" is an important example of this approach. The dining car attendants should offer free cranberry juice to sleeper passengers who need it when the dining car isn't serving... a few people will take it, most people won't.

Having taken the EB in summer 2013, CZ in 2011, and SWC just this last Christmas.... I can only relate my own experience with these extras, and give my opinion about the absence of them. I went to the W&C event this past summer on EB and ended up sitting with some obnoxious louts that I had nothing in common with, so really didn't enjoy it. As a matter of fact, I left early because these people were so unpleasant, I preferred to go sit in my roomette . I know that's the exception more than the norm but the whole concept of getting folks who don't know each other together to laugh, share and learn something about wine was a really nice thing. Just didn't work out well for me for the ride back to CHI. On the way OUT to Spokane, the SCA was so unorganized that she ended up popping some corks at the coffee bar in our car, and saying whoever wants to come drink some...come on out. It was so crowded in that tiny stairwell that I took my wine and returned to my sleeper. I wouldn't be upset at all to lose this 'perk'. It's nice, but there's plenty of social interaction at the meals in diner car and this extra touch isn't really necessary. Especially for recluses like myself:) I've never seen a chocolate in my roomette. On SWC, I touched the flowers in dining car and was surprised that they were fresh...thinking, what a nice touch! But I'd still enjoy the meal if something artificial appeared. Regarding the newspaper....I don't read these, usually...but on SWC we were given the local Lamar, CO rag and it was hilarious for about 30 min. as I read the local gossip columns and who did what to who...during the week. I ride the train LD to AVOID hearing about all the awful news in the world, so this was entertainment...but I can get hard news on my phone. Bottom line....I just want Amtrak to keep on keepin' on.... Don't change the routes, don't change the awesome bubble that riding a train gives us as we watch life pass by out the window. Little things? meh. No biggie. I'll take Amtrak until it just isn't around anymore...which I hope is never a reality!

especially as the wine tasting is listed as a perk for the cs in the new timetable.
And the wine-and-cheese tasting is listed as a perk of the LSL in the current timetable, as well.

Listen up, Amtrak. THIS matters. You can take away an amenity, but not while you're still advertising it.

That gets people mad; they feel cheated because they've been promised something and it wasn't delivered.

This is a very basic communications issue, and an easy enough one to fix (issue a new timetable).

IMHO, just because one route offers a different experience than another one does, it should not mean that all routes should be denigrated to the lowest common denominator. Now, if we are talking about UPgrading all routes to be like the CS or the (current) EB, I bet we would all be in agreement! But, sadly, that is not in the cards

---------------------

Tony, apologize for lifting this quote maybe out of context. But I think you are touching on something bigger than flowers or chocolates. There is a general move towards standardization as a means to save money, and generally standardization doesn't have anything to do with improved quality no matter what PR is being sold to us. And someone else mentioned a "race to the bottom" which is also instructive. Someone will benefit, but it won't be employees or customers.

"Someone" is also taking a steps towards... we provide transportation, not meals... have your credit card ready for our smiling attendant with the handheld credit card reader....OH unless you're in FC... oh wait, we already charge the coach pax....hmmm..

Eliminating a perk or two will never save jobs. It's a fallacy to suppose that jobs will be saved. Jobs are never secure once the cutting starts. It's not an Amtrak-specific trend, it's the way the country is going. In the meantime, it is now often more expensive to travel longer distances on Amtrak, than it is by flying or driving, which is counterintuitive.

Uh, the same reason any other question is asked....to get an answer. I never have preconceived notions of what an answer to a question about a personal opinion might be.
There is such thing as a question that isn't really a question (i.e. a sentence that is technically in the form of a question, but with an implied answer contained within). If you didn't have preconceived notions about what she was thinking, you wouldn't have specifically mentioned Motel 6.

On SWC, I touched the flowers in dining car and was surprised that they were fresh...thinking, what a nice touch!
I've never touched the flowers either. To be honest, I didn't know they were fresh until I heard about them getting rid of them. I couldn't figure out why artificial flowers (which are easy to dust and clean) were on the list of cuts, especially since they already have the vases on-board. Now that I know they're fresh, I can see why they're on the list.

Since they DO have the vases, they could always switch to artificial if people are really hung up on the flower thing. Silk flowers are pretty, and it's hard to tell they're fake unless you touch them.

IMHO, just because one route offers a different experience than another one does, it should not mean that all routes should be denigrated to the lowest common denominator. Now, if we are talking about UPgrading all routes to be like the CS or the (current) EB, I bet we would all be in agreement! But, sadly, that is not in the cards

---------------------

Tony, apologize for lifting this quote maybe out of context. But I think you are touching on something bigger than flowers or chocolates. There is a general move towards standardization as a means to save money, and generally standardization doesn't have anything to do with improved quality no matter what PR is being sold to us. And someone else mentioned a "race to the bottom" which is also instructive. Someone will benefit, but it won't be employees or customers.

"Someone" is also taking a steps towards... we provide transportation, not meals... have your credit card ready for our smiling attendant with the handheld credit card reader....OH unless you're in FC... oh wait, we already charge the coach pax....hmmm..

Eliminating a perk or two will never save jobs. It's a fallacy to suppose that jobs will be saved. Jobs are never secure once the cutting starts. It's not an Amtrak-specific trend, it's the way the country is going. In the meantime, it is now often more expensive to travel longer distances on Amtrak, than it is by flying or driving, which is counterintuitive.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back