Amenities Being Eliminated from Long Distance Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Customer: "That's ridiculous! I want the name of your manager, I want to file a complaint!"

SCA: Certainly, sir. But while you're at it, you may want to complain to the actual imbeciles in Congress who force such things upon us.
Whereas this is certainly anecdotal, I'm sad to think that if every sleeper passenger and every member of AU - even June the Coach Rider - were to complain to Congress, the volume wouldn't even make a dent.
You know, the argument about consistency is interesting. We've argued here and complained to Amtrak about the inconsistency of Business Class - from the Palmetto to the Keystone to the Pacific Surfliner, none seen to offer true value for the upcharge. Amtrak shrugs its shoulders and gives us the proverbial finger.

Sarah, I love ya to death. Please don't cut back on your posting or feel like you are over thinking. This is a passionate issue, and one where there is no right answer - except perhaps eliminating free cranberry juice. My concern is that shaving perhaps $100,000 in amenities will cost Amtrak millions in the long run in reduced revenue.

I believe that Amtrak's expenses are fairly stable. Like a popular talk show host likes to say, they don't have an expense or budget problem, they have an income problem.

Just imagine, theoretically, if they were able to reduce their commitment to rebuild the line in Minot by just 1%, they could have full service chefs, flowers, chocolates and wine on every sleeper service. I'd almost even say they could bring the Sunset backand run it and the Cardinal every day and give the latter a real diner, maybe even put in a climate controlled pet coach for college bound hamsters. But that may be pushing it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the Android Amtrak Forums mobile app

Several posters have mentioned that Amtrak car attendants are going to have a hard time explaining this to people. While I agree, I think Amtrak (unofficially, of course) could use this situation to its advantage.

Customer: "Hey, what happened the shampoo?"

SCA: "I'm sorry sir/ma'am, but we have been forced to get rid of it."

Customer: "Why?"

SCA: "We are under a lot of pressure from Congress to cut costs."

Customer: "Cut costs? That shampoo only costs nickel!"

SCA: "You are correct, sir, the amount of money we're saving is negligible."

Customer: "Then why bother?"

SCA: "Again, sir, we're responsible to Congress for our funding, and unfortunately our Congress is composed of illiterate monkeys, raving lunatics, and slime mold. They won't let us run this business decently, and have an aneurysm whenever they see a vase of flowers on a table. They interfere in the most minute aspects of our business whenever they think it will make them look good in the polls."

Customer: "That's ridiculous! I want the name of your manager, I want to file a complaint!"

SCA: Certainly, sir. But while you're at it, you may want to complain to the actual imbeciles in Congress who force such things upon us. In particular, I think you should complain to your local congresscritter and senator. And while you're at it, you might as well write a letter to the particular reprobate who always seems to birth the largest cow over Amtrak minutiae, Rep. John Mica. He can be reached at 2187 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515."
You're giving slime mold a bad name by comparing congress to it.

I work in the turf industry and see slime mold every year. While not nice and green (it's grey and black), there are those of us that think it's kinda cute!

Chocolate at the tables? I've only seen it once. Perhaps the crew was eating most of it.

Amenity Kits? I have never seen one or for that matter have ever seen it offered.

Wine- Hardly drink so its no big loss but many passengers appreciated it. With the price of a sleeper ticket being so high, they can't cover this?

The flower in the bud vase. Really now! The saving here has to be about 15 cents per passenger. Those flowers are put there and used for multiple table seatings. If it costs $1.50 per table and 12 people are seated for the three dinner times there ya go. Less than 15 cents per sleeper passenger. Whoopty do!

These cuts are all bunch of nonsense. Quite frankly I find them insulting as I pay a dear price for a sleeper. Boardman should get up in front of congress and explain exactly how much sleeper passengers pay.

The real problem is that our railroad infrastructure was decimated back in the 1960's and 1970's and never recovered. Two and three track mainlines in numerous areas were either totally abandoned or cut back to single track. Now with the boom in freight traffic the demand now outstrips the availability causing a logjam on the tracks and massive delays. There is no solution until more tracks are laid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, sent my snail-mail letter to Boardman, emails, posted on Amtrak's FB page, and opened a case with Cusx Relations. I guess that's about all I can do, unless anyone has any additional constructive ideas.....

I'm OK with the elimination of the amenities as long as Amtrak doesn't eliminate toilet tissue!!

You know, the argument about consistency is interesting. We've argued here and complained to Amtrak about the inconsistency of Business Class - from the Palmetto to the Keystone to the Pacific Surfliner, none seen to offer true value for the upcharge. Amtrak shrugs its shoulders and gives us the proverbial finger.
Keystones have Business Class? Since when? Or did you mean that all trains should have Business Class and the fact that Keystones don't is the inconsistency?
I'm OK with the elimination of the amenities as long as Amtrak doesn't eliminate toilet tissue!!
I am completely with you on that one.
It would be terrible to have toilet tissue dispensers which has to be fed money using your AGR Card. But then again, just imagine how many AGR points the_traveler could collect while just crapping? :p Or maybe you could use AGR points to get them for free!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, sent my snail-mail letter to Boardman, emails, posted on Amtrak's FB page, and opened a case with Cusx Relations. I guess that's about all I can do, unless anyone has any additional constructive ideas.....
You can always complain to your Congresscritter(s).

Keystones have Business Class? Since when? Or did you mean that all trains should have Business Class and the fact that Keystones don't is the inconsistency?
Pulled a bad example out of the hat. Was thinking Pennsylvanian. How 'bout just any ol' NER? Anyway, you are right in that the Keystone should have BC.

Chocolate at the tables? I've only seen it once. Perhaps the crew was eating most of it.

Amenity Kits? I have never seen one or for that matter have ever seen it offered.

Wine- Hardly drink so its no big loss but many passengers appreciated it. With the price of a sleeper ticket being so high, they can't cover this?

The flower in the bud vase. Really now! The saving here has to be about 15 cents per passenger. Those flowers are put there and used for multiple table seatings. If it costs $1.50 per table and 12 people are seated for the three dinner times there ya go. Less than 15 cents per sleeper passenger. Whoopty do!

These cuts are all bunch of nonsense. Quite frankly I find them insulting as I pay a dear price for a sleeper. Boardman should get up in front of congress and explain exactly how much sleeper passengers pay.

The real problem is that our railroad infrastructure was decimated back in the 1960's and 1970's and never recovered. Two and three track mainlines in numerous areas were either totally abandoned or cut back to single track. Now with the boom in freight traffic the demand now outstrips the availability causing a logjam on the tracks and massive delays. There is no solution until more tracks are laid.
I agree with Dlagrua on this.

Sarah, I love ya to death. Please don't cut back on your posting or feel like you are over thinking. This is a passionate issue, and one where there is no right answer - except perhaps eliminating free cranberry juice. My concern is that shaving perhaps $100,000 in amenities will cost Amtrak millions in the long run in reduced revenue.
NOOO!!! I still want the cranberry juice. :)

It would be terrible to have toilet tissue dispensers which has to be fed money using your AGR Card. But then again, just imagine how many AGR points the_traveler could collect while just crapping? :p Or maybe you could use AGR points to get them for free!!!

Or perhaps they will just "ration" each pax to 2 squares of TP when you have the need to go??

:-(
Oh, no! Here we go again with the TP. :lol:

Or perhaps they will just "ration" each pax to 2 squares of TP when you have the need to go??

:-(
Oh, no! Here we go again with the TP. :lol:
No problem if you carry these. http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOae1V1-Xg

I can get behind the letter in question, but given the wave of folks mentioning how erratic the amenities (other than the wine and cheese tasting) have been, I'm tempted to blame erratic implementation for them ending up on the block.
I concur

I can get behind the letter in question, but given the wave of folks mentioning how erratic the amenities (other than the wine and cheese tasting) have been, I'm tempted to blame erratic implementation for them ending up on the block.
I concur
So instead of fixing the implementation, and erratic nature of said amenity, just kill it? That dog won't hunt with me.

NOOO!!! I still want the cranberry juice. :)
SAME HERE! It smooths out the Vodka unlike the AmOrange Juice which is pretty nasty with Vodka.

The passion of this topic brings out the real issue, the level of support Amtrak receives, If I might digress with experience of sixteen years providing collaborative library services to ten Appalachian Ohio counties based solely on the whim of the legislature - there are a couple of rules I developed.

1) No matter how you feel about a legislator, calling them names is not scoring points. Honest disagreement is not an issue but using inflammatory language well get you no where.

2) Promote the service provided, especially to the under served. This is especially important to the LD routes with large chunks of very underpopulated territory to cross. The more stories you can tell about the only way grandma sees the grand-kids is EB the better off you are.

3) The more information you can succinctly provide the better. My testimony to the legislature never lasted more than four minutes (unless they asked questions) and my handouts were always a single side of a sheet of paper. My colleagues would carry on and provide booklets without understanding the legislator (most usually) only need to know one or two good things to say about his vote of support - if indeed they were ever questioned.

4) For identified foes treat them with respect (see 1 above) and get THEIR constituents to become a voice. In every county I had someone who contacted the legislator for us. Folks who had supported them in their district could get much closer much more effectively than I ever could.

5) For the foes it is OK to create a volume approach, get as many folks (especially from their district) to write a simple letter saying " only way grandma sees the grand-kids is EB" - insert a variation her. I once had the president of one of the legislative branches call me and tell me enough with the letters, we were getting our funding !

6) Invest time with the legislators aides - they are the ones with advise and consent power. We used to host a legislative luncheon every year, and I invited the aides because they never got invited to anything.

7) Be honest and don't overstate issues. There is enough spin in Washington to run the dryer until the end of time. Simply stated truths get you a lot further than hyperbole.

To me the message I would create is "Make First Class Valuable" or "Long Distance Trains Take Care of Those Who No One Else Cares For". (No acronyms for the masses!! Even the folks in La Crosse don't know they are "LCE".

thanks for listening, and know I love you all, life is precious thing,, and Amtrak only makes it more pleasant

I've been at the EB wine and cheese three times and I won't miss it. It was something to do, but the staff didn't care and we were herded in and out like cattle because of the timing between meals and stops. You get to meet some folks, but I also had five other opportunities to meet the same folks in the dining car during mealtimes.

The amenity bags are no big deal either -- most folks travel with that stuff anyway.

The chocolate was nasty. If you are going to serve such a thing, then it better be good. If not, then leave it out.

The common juice cartons just seem like diarrhea waiting to happen -- I stay away from it and bring my own mixers. Because if you know that bathroom is nasty, then you know the folks making it nasty aren't washing their hands.

I will miss the champagne, but I bring my own stuff for the rest of the trip anyway.

I am sad to see the going away of the "extras". I have traveled on EB, CZ, CS, SWC, TE and SJ and love that each one is different. I loved receiving my bag of toiletries and still have the bag and it brings fond memories of our trip. I still have the small bottles of Champagne in our fridge which again bring back memories. I love getting the local paper and sitting in our room looking at the different going-ons in different parts of the country (and when we different receive a paper I remember missing it). I did notice the flowers on the table and it made me feel like we were having a nicer meal than just grabbing something from the cafe car and sitting at one of the lounge tables. I attended the W&C gathering and discovered I don't like wine, but found some new cheeses I did....lol. I guess I am one of the few who doesn't drink the coffee in the sleeping car, but did drink the cranberry juice. What I'm trying to say is that it is the "little things" that bring us back to the sleeping cars when we could save $$$ going coach.

The news is official. Amtrak is going to cut the aforementioned amenities and that is from Amtrak Customer Relations. I already have my case # over the promised wine and cheese tasting on the LSL that was supposedly offered because there is no dinner service (That is how is was told to me when I bought the ticket). The Customer Relations agent was real nice and said "if anything goes wrong on your trip just call back with your case # and you will received a voucher". I rather have what was promised, but this will be good too.

I concur
So instead of fixing the implementation, and erratic nature of said amenity, just kill it? That dog won't hunt with me.
All else being equal, fixing might have happened. However, with political pressure playing out like it has been over the last few years, killing off some dubiously-implemented features found to have little to no impact would be the path of least resistance. Not ideal, true, but also not surprising...and if Amtrak couldn't manage stable implementation, it might have been deemed not worth the effort to try and straighten some of the perks out.

By the way, does anybody know when the amenity kits and chocolate squares were implemented? I know the wine and cheese receptions and complementary champagne have been a thing for a while, and I think the paper has as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back