American Airlines / US Airways merger

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do appreciate that after the PSA purchase, US Airways did put a few of the famous "smile" paint jobs at the front of the plane. They even did one almost completely in PSA livery

I believe AA will have a 'heritage' paint job to represent most of their predecessor companies on various types of aircraft....

I've always been partial to AA as my "hometown" airline. I think they have a decent product, and I still try to revel the flights I take on the old Mad Dogs. I've come to love those things. Sometimes, I have to ride on the E-175's operated by Republic, and that's just not the same to me anymore. I don't feel like I'm flying AA. Now if only they would give me a job... :)

I've always been partial to AA as my "hometown" airline. I think they have a decent product, and I still try to revel the flights I take on the old Mad Dogs. I've come to love those things. Sometimes, I have to ride on the E-175's operated by Republic, and that's just not the same to me anymore. I don't feel like I'm flying AA. Now if only they would give me a job... :)
I believe AA is hiring....I know their regional's are, and Envoy almost guarantee's all its pilots with a 'pipeline' directly to AA....

But, I thought you already were an airline pilot?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe AA is hiring....I know their regional's are, and Envoy almost guarantee's all its pilots with a 'pipeline' directly to AA....

But, I thought you already were an airline pilot?
AA is indeed hiring. Have had my application on file for 2 years now. I've been at a regional for eight years now.

Flew AA and one of their regionals between Lubbock and Chicago recently and was unimpressed with the experience. All the planes seemed extremely worn,and not really clean considering the dedicated cleaners they brought on before flights to clean. Also, having my flight cancelled out of ORD while in security and having to call the 800 number to get a flight out that evening vs. the automated rebook for a 5am flight the next day...was frustrating. Almost as frustrating as the gate agents inability to do what the 800 number did. I did enjoy getting an entire can of soda, that was an unexpected touch from a company that seems to fee you for everything. And oh yeah, they lost my luggage. I kind of wonder though, unless you're flying for business, on points, or first class: why would you choose AA over Southwest? SWA in my experience, is no worse an experience than my AA one, and usually a little better.

I did enjoy getting an entire can of soda, that was an unexpected touch from a company that seems to fee you for everything. And oh yeah, they lost my luggage. I kind of wonder though, unless you're flying for business, on points, or first class: why would you choose AA over Southwest? SWA in my experience, is no worse an experience than my AA one, and usually a little better.
According to recent reports AA is apparently planning on doing away with complimentary drinks and seat selections in an effort to adopt a surcharge focused revenue stream like Spirit Airlines. They're also looking at further reducing legroom in order to pack in even more seats. I wonder if economy class will eventually become so tightly packed that only children can fit in the seats.

I did enjoy getting an entire can of soda, that was an unexpected touch from a company that seems to fee you for everything. And oh yeah, they lost my luggage. I kind of wonder though, unless you're flying for business, on points, or first class: why would you choose AA over Southwest? SWA in my experience, is no worse an experience than my AA one, and usually a little better.
According to recent reports AA is apparently planning on doing away with complimentary drinks and seat selections in an effort to adopt a surcharge focused revenue stream like Spirit Airlines. They're also looking at further reducing legroom in order to pack in even more seats. I wonder if economy class will eventually become so tightly packed that only children can fit in the seats.
Pay more for less. They already have tiers in economy with extra charges. And honestly, I was surprised the soda was complimentary. Why not take another inch from those travels who won't pay for the extra inch or two of legroom? Just will get more people to pay for the "upgrade." The whole pay a fee and get better seats, better seat choices, board earlier racket seems to work with the traveling public. Even for Southwest. I've even been a sucker for that from time to time. And the last couple of times on SWA, even paying for the privilege of a higher boarding position, wasn't that spectacular at doing anything other than making sure you boarded before it was impossible to get an aisle or a window towards the back of the plane.

I can't complain too much about my recent and future AA experiences, I'm flying on a family member's points, so even with baggage fees and this and that for me it's still fairly a cheap way to get from here to there. Luckily, my family member earned all those points back when flying was truly fun! That said, I'll skip the food on the plane and save my money in case I have a long layover or a delay. While outrageously priced, I did enjoy some good beers and meals at DFW and O'Hare while killing time. I'd certainly rather just "be on my way", but the bartender and waiter I had were great and it made the travel fun!

And honestly, I was surprised the soda was complimentary.
US Airways did charge for non-alcoholic beverages for a time, a few years ago, but I guess they ended up feeling that revenues didn't outweigh the liabilities.

Although as I understand it, there are a lot of former US Airways people at the post-merger American, so they could certainly decide to give it another try (but I haven't heard anything specific).

Curious where you saw that. I'm not being snarky, but I have not heard that and I try to keep a close tab on AA since, for better or worse, it's my go-to carrier.

EDIT: Never mind. Found it. Sounds like a monkey see, monkey do with Delta.

Like it or not, this 'nickle-and-diming' is the result of the fierce competition that deregulation has brought. The 'all-inclusive' days of the past are gone forever. Now everything that can be, is priced 'ala carte'.......

I've said it before.....the pioneers who built these legacy airlines are probably turning over in their graves over what has come of their once proud airlines. when they all vied to give their passenger's "the best of everything"......

Then again, maybe not....when they see how large the survivor's have grown, and how profitable they sometimes are.....

Curious where you saw that. I'm not being snarky, but I have not heard that and I try to keep a close tab on AA since, for better or worse, it's my go-to carrier.

EDIT: Never mind. Found it. Sounds like a monkey see, monkey do with Delta.
The problem with dividing the economy cabin into multiple sub-cabins is that conventional booking systems don't fully support this concept. People who use points for travel or who buy long haul economy tickets across multiple airlines generally end up getting stuck with the worst possible seats. Under the current booking process the only way to avoid ending up in the worst possible economy seats is to purchase international business or international first class at anywhere from $5,000 to $30,000 per trip.

So far as I can tell extra legroom economy and premium economy seats simply aren't bookable when traveling across multiple airlines with their own unique perspective on how economy cabins will be divided. Taller folks like me who don't need a fancier seat or extra service but who do need decent legroom are quickly running out of reasonably priced options as the entire airline market focuses exclusively on the spendiest customers at the front and thriftiest customers in the back while ignoring anyone caught in the middle.

Sounds like Amtrak is on the same track Chris! ( nickel and dime cuts, extra charges and fees for many things previously included, devaluation of the loyalty program, Fare increases, cuts in food and drink service and amenities etc.)

It's no surprise to me that Amtrak adapts many airline practices.....IMHO, in its history, it seems to me like they are a 'wanna be' airline...

Some of its first executives were recruited from the air transport industry....people like Arthur D Lewis, Roger Lewis, etc..

And one of their first moves was to adapt the airline style 'quick-reference' timetable's, and three letter station codes.

They had an epic battle to be included in the ARC (Airlines Reporting Corporation) ticketing clearinghouse, in order to make it easier for travel agencies to sell Amtrak tickets, as well as open the possibility for 'interline' airline-railroad thru ticketing.

And they hired American Airlines former Sabre subsidiary to design the Arrow reservations system.

And they learned to adapt a form of Yield Management to dynamically price fares....

And probably a lot more practices in many area's.....

Back