amtrac travel questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mama to a toddler train fan

Train Attendant
I am taking two small children on an Amtrak this summer. A three year old and a six month old. We have booked a ride on the Southwest Chief from Chicago to LA and then the Texas Eagle from LA back to Chicago. We have a bedroom reserved too.

I read in other posts that there is electricity in the bedrooms, which answered on question I had. Here are my other questions:

Is their an observation car we can go to be around other people or will we be mainly in our room unless it is mealtime?

Does the dining car have highchairs or am going to have to be prepared to hold my baby most of the time?

I noticed that many of you said the trains are often not on time. How off do they run? Should I have my car rental and hotel accommodations on speed dial?

When the train stops at a station, are the passengers permitted to mill about the station for the time it takes the new passengers to board?

That is all I can think of right now. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post and hopefully give me some insight into what I have taken on. I know my three year old will have blast. When I told him of our plans and that I reserved a sleeper car Lee Roy replied "well, you and Hilda Mae can sleep, but I will not!" He has a real passion for trains and I like to do what I can to foster it. I have always like to travel by car, even long distances, so I can see the country side. I think this train travel may be even better because I don't have to drive!

I would certainly program the cellphone with telephone numbers relevant to your destination, including relatives,rental car and hotel, so that you can keep them apprised of your revised arrival time. Make sure your hotel room is guaranteed regardless of what time you actually arrive. And make sure that the car rental office at your destination doesn't close, (if it is not 24 hr), until long after your scheduled arrival time, because you may well be hours late getting there. Work out a backup plan with them for if you do arrive after they are closed, like taking a taxi or courtesy car to the hotel and then maybe a courtesy car to the rental car place the next morning, or something like that. And don't assume, if you are traveling through very rural country, that your cellphone will have service, so plan to make those schedule update calls at times when you know you will have cellphone service, as when you are traveling through the larger cities on the way. You might call your cellphone service provider in advance, or visit one of their local stores, before you go, and take an Amtrak route map with you (you can download it from the Amtrak web site), to check with them on what kind of cellphone coverage to expect on your trip and therefore plan the best places enroute for making calls. They can also tell you in advance as to where you might end up paying roaming or out-of-network fees when placing a call (and therefore where NOT to make calls from).

Almost all station stops are between one and five minutes, mostly in the two to four minute category, and if you go into the station you will likely be left behind. About the only people that get off the train at stops are smokers, and even then only at a very few stops that the conductor announces in advance as smoking stops, where he or she knows the stop will be longer than usual, and they will stand right next to the train, close to where the conductor is, so that they can get right back on immediately when the conductor says to reboard. There are also station stops where the engineers and conductors are changed for new crews, a federal requirement every few hours. Those stops, where they also usually refuel the engines, are usually fifteen to 30 minutes long and you could get off and walk a little for those, but you really never want to get out of earshot of the train. If the train is really running late, even those crew change stops will usually be cut as short as possible to catch up some time. If you examine the train schedule for your train, you will see those crew change stops, not because it says "crew change", but because they will have both an arrival and a departure time shown for those stations. (some long station stops, like Orlando, are not crew change stops, but are stops where there is always a large passenger load detraining and entraining, so they do take a lot more time than the usual station stop, and the schedule therefore shows that stop as a longer one).

If you do get off the train at an intermediate stop, with small children, I would probably have them literally on a tether, a "leash", to be absolutely sure you can get them back on the train RIGHT NOW when the conductor calls for everyone to be aboard. Unlike missing a plane at an airport, where there is probably another plane to the same desitnation in an hour or so, once you miss your long distance train, the next one won't come by until the next day, or, with some of the trains, not for two or three days. (Sunset Limited is three trains per week each way).

mama to a toddler train fan said:
Is their an observation car we can go to be around other people or will we be mainly in our room unless it is mealtime? Does the dining car have highchairs or am going to have to be prepared to hold my baby most of the time?
There is an observation car that is shared by all passengers on the train so it can become crowded. Movies are shown there in the evening. The Coast Starlight is the only train with a separate car for first class and it is not always there.

There are no highchairs as they would block the aisles. There may be some type of booster seat but I have never seen it.

no high chairs or booster seats on board, but you'll probably be bringing a car seat of some type, so that is sufficient; on the Southwest Chief there is an observation/lounge car, so that's a great place to meet other people, but on the Eagle it will be just a lower-level-only lounge not terribly conducive to extended socializing, at least on the portion from LA to San Antonio; in all likelihood, the Chief will be early into L.A., and it's equally likely that the Eagle will be hours late getting back into Chicago (the consolation prize for this is that, since you have a sleeper and meals are included, you get extra meal service!); likely extended stops,where you'll be invited to step off the train and stretch your legs, are Kansas City, La Junta, Albuquerque (good trainside shopping, too), and Flagstaff - all SW Chief stops - while on the Sunset/Eagle, Palm Springs and El Paso are the only likely stops before San Antonio (and at that one, be patient and listen to your car attendant; they have to detach the cars going to Chicago, so DON'T just step off the train, even if the door is open!) - beyond that, you MIGHT have a chance to step off at Little Rock and St. Louis, but that depends on a number of factors (and the "scenery" at the St. Louis station is, to put it mildly, lacking...)

TransAtlantic said:
no high chairs or booster seats on board, but you'll probably be bringing a car seat of some type, so that is sufficient; on the Southwest Chief there is an observation/lounge car, so that's a great place to meet other people, but on the Eagle it will be just a lower-level-only lounge not terribly conducive to extended socializing, at least on the portion from LA to San Antonio; in all likelihood, the Chief will be early into L.A., and it's equally likely that the Eagle will be hours late getting back into Chicago (the consolation prize for this is that, since you have a sleeper and meals are included, you get extra meal service!); likely extended stops,where you'll be invited to step off the train and stretch your legs, are Kansas City, La Junta, Albuquerque (good trainside shopping, too), and Flagstaff - all SW Chief stops - while on the Sunset/Eagle, Palm Springs and El Paso are the only likely stops before San Antonio (and at that one, be patient and listen to your car attendant; they have to detach the cars going to Chicago, so DON'T just step off the train, even if the door is open!) - beyond that, you MIGHT have a chance to step off at Little Rock and St. Louis, but that depends on a number of factors (and the "scenery" at the St. Louis station is, to put it mildly, lacking...)
If I'm not mistaken, the route from LA to San Antonio will be aboard the Sunset Limited and not the Texas Eagle till you board in San Antonio. I know this may be just a name and number switch and the Sunset may turn into the Eagle or the sleeper will just be unhooked from the Sunset and connected to the Eagle. The sleeper we were on Wednesday actually went on to California from San Antonio.

The Texas Eagle is a Superliner train set that has a very good lounge car with the top portion for observation and the lower part for Snack bar and dining tables. The first movie shown was "Ft. Apache" with Henry Fonda :) I don't know what type the Sunset Limited has.

The Sunset has a bad "on time preformance" record that you may track by going onto Amtracks reservations webpage and scroll toward the bottom and you will see the section for Train status. By inputing the information into the proper areas, you can check any trains Arrival/departure times.

The Eagle averages 1 and 1/2 hours late into Chicago. Last Wednesday on the Eagle(21) we were 6 hours late into San Antonio from Chicago.

Like everydaymatters asked, "if your traveling alone" It sure would be nice to have a travel buddy to help with the baby. If my wife were there, she would certainly hold the baby some as she does with nearly all babies she is around. Hopefully you will find some lady like her to help you.

Good Luck and give us a wave as you come across Texas......BD

AmtrakWPK said:
And don't assume, if you are traveling through very rural country, that your cellphone will have service, so plan to make those schedule update calls at times when you know you will have cellphone service, as when you are traveling through the larger cities on the way.  You might call your cellphone service provider  in advance, or visit one of their local stores, before you go, and take an Amtrak route map with you (you can download it from the Amtrak web site), to check with them on what kind of cellphone coverage to expect on your trip and therefore plan the best places enroute for making calls.  They can also tell you in advance as to where you might end up paying roaming or out-of-network fees when placing a call (and therefore where NOT to make calls from).
Click to see the Cingular Coverage Viewer.

I think Verizon Wireless has one just as nice, but since VZW is not a local provider for me, I don't have the link handy.

Everydaymatters said:
Are you taking this trip alone, or will you have help with the children?
I maybe crazy but I am doing it alone. The three year is very obedient and well behaved and the infant, she is easy because I can just put her in a sling and she can't go anywhere yet. We have a condo in SC and I have done the 11 hour drive there alone with the two kids twice with no problems.

AmtrakWPK said:
Make sure your hotel room is guaranteed regardless of what time you actually arrive.   And make sure that the car rental office at your destination doesn't close, (if it is not 24 hr), until long after your scheduled arrival time, because you may well be hours late getting there.  Work out a backup plan with them for if you do arrive after they are closed, like taking a taxi or courtesy car to the hotel and then maybe a courtesy car to the rental car place the next morning, or something like that.
All great advice. I will check to see that the rental place is 24 hours!

Thank you!

Sam Damon said:
AmtrakWPK said:
And don't assume, if you are traveling through very rural country, that your cellphone will have service, so plan to make those schedule update calls at times when you know you will have cellphone service, as when you are traveling through the larger cities on the way.  You might call your cellphone service provider  in advance, or visit one of their local stores, before you go, and take an Amtrak route map with you (you can download it from the Amtrak web site), to check with them on what kind of cellphone coverage to expect on your trip and therefore plan the best places enroute for making calls.  They can also tell you in advance as to where you might end up paying roaming or out-of-network fees when placing a call (and therefore where NOT to make calls from).
Click to see the Cingular Coverage Viewer.

I think Verizon Wireless has one just as nice, but since VZW is not a local provider for me, I don't have the link handy.
T-Mobile has a similar tool here: http://compass.t-mobile.com/

Sam Damon said:
AmtrakWPK said:
And don't assume, if you are traveling through very rural country, that your cellphone will have service, so plan to make those schedule update calls at times when you know you will have cellphone service,Cingular Coverage Viewer.[/url]

That is a nice map! As it happens, I have Cingular cell service.

Thanks for sharing the link. I added it to my favorites and will print it later.

I have a wireless card for my laptop which is from Verizon which I will check later.

TransAtlantic said:
no high chairs or booster seats on board, but you'll probably be bringing a car seat of some type, so that is sufficient; La Junta, Albuquerque (good trainside shopping, too), listen to your car attendant; they have to detach the cars going to Chicago, so DON'T just step off the train, even if the door is open!)
I will be bringing a car seat/carrier for the baby. So, that will work for her chair.

Good to know about the shopping!

I will listen and not just jump off, though I am sure I'll be tempted. Looks like maybe I should have done the SWC both ways. Fortunately, on the return leg, my husband will be picking us up and so the lateness is not as big an issue.

Boxcar Dummy said:
Like everydaymatters asked, "if your traveling alone" It sure would be nice to have a travel buddy to help with the baby. If my wife were there, she would certainly hold the baby some as she does with nearly all babies she is around. Hopefully you will find some lady like her to help you.Good Luck and give us a wave as you come across Texas......BD
I will wave!!

**Sigh** It would be nice if my husband would/could come along. He is caught up in his career. I decided early on that I was not going to let his workaholic tendencies keep us from having summer vacations. So, sometimes I take them without him. He will be flying out to LA for one three day weekend. When reading the newspaper, I am the type who reads the comics first and he goes straight for the headlines. Though, it was actually his idea for us to take the train. He thought it would be easier for me than flying and switching planes alone.

I am a pretty strong woman. I hiked a big part of the rim trail at the Grand Canyon this past fall while I was 7 months pregnant and carried my sleeping toddler. I am sure I will be fine and will run across someone to hold the baby or chat with the toddler so I can have a moments break. People are always fascinated with the toddler. He is small for his age and talks like he is 10. He knows a lot about trains too so get him sitting next to the right train buff and I may even get a nap , just kidding. :p

At first I was a very skeptical about you traveling alone, but after reading about you hiking the Grand Canyon, I think you can do it.

How are you going to manage all the things you need to take with you? I have a hard time with one large suitcase and a carryon. Will someone be there when you get off and on the train?

Everydaymatters said:
At first I was a very skeptical about you traveling alone, but after reading about you hiking the Grand Canyon, I think you can do it.
How are you going to manage all the things you need to take with you?  I have a hard time with one large suitcase and a carryon.  Will someone be there when you get off and on the train?
The managing of all the things is what I worry most about. I have the mental "grit" and can physically handle it but I only have so many hands. I worried about it all day. I am either going to figure out a stop to get off before LA and rent a car from there, then drive the rest to avoid LA (my final destination is outside of LA, not LA itself) or work harder on my sister to take the trip with me. I have 2 children, a laptop, a stroller, a suitcase, a diaper bag, and that is a lot. I guess I was counting on arriving in LA when the "baggage help" touted on the Amtrak website was in service. I see now I can't rely on that.

I appreciate all the great advice. I marveled all day long at the "compare the route map with your cell map to know when you will have service" advice. That's great stuff! All the advice has been very helpful. I am still digging through old threads and finding a lot there too.

Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted!

The managing of all the things is what I worry most about. I have the mental "grit" and can physically handle it but I only have so many hands. I worried about it all day. I am either going to figure out a stop to get off before LA and rent a car from there, then drive the rest to avoid LA (my final destination is outside of LA, not LA itself) or work harder on my sister to take the trip with me. I have 2 children, a laptop, a stroller, a suitcase, a diaper bag, and that is a lot. I guess I was counting on arriving in LA when the "baggage help" touted on the Amtrak website was in service. I see now I can't rely on that.I appreciate all the great advice. I marveled all day long at the "compare the route map with your cell map to know when you will have service" advice. That's great stuff! All the advice has been very helpful. I am still digging through old threads and finding a lot there too.

If by baggage help you mean the redcaps, then I wouldn't worry too much about your arrival into LA. The SW Chief, the train you said you are taking to LA, is typically very close to ontime. Getting a redcap to help with your bags should not be a problem at all. They are on duty almost all day at a major terminal like LA.

The other side of the coin is that while you could consider at either San Bernardino or Fulleton, both of which have rental cars on call, if the train is ontime (something that is possible with this train), that you would be arriving at 5:20 AM and 6:20 AM respectively. I'm not sure that you want to be jumping off the train at that hour with your young ones.

As for cell service on the SW Chief with the carrier Cingular, I just took that trip earlier this month. My service is also from Cingular and I had very good reception on that route, even in smaller cities not just the big ones. In fact my reception was so good, I used my cell phones connection to my laptop to post a trip report on my trip directly from the train. If you like, you can read me report here on this very forum by clicking here.

Everydaymatters said:
How are you going to manage all the things you need to take with you?
To really answer that question:

I was thinking....the stroller holds the car seat which holds the baby. The diaper bag and laptop can be draped on the handle of the stroller. The toddler likes to "help" push the stroller all the time anyway, so with one hand I could guide the stroller and the other hand would be used to pull the luggage. Having him help me push is the way I always use to keep the toddler close to me, he won't run off.

Always have some games for the kids and be sure to bring some of there favorite Snacks incase they don't like the Diner or Lounge Fare. The Kids will enjoy it especially the Todller, I remember I enjoyed my 1st Amtrak Trip when I was 4 and I've been hooked ever since.

If by baggage help you mean the redcaps, then I wouldn't worry too much about your arrival into LA. The SW Chief, the train you said you are taking to LA, is typically very close to ontime. Getting a redcap to help with your bags should not be a problem at all. They are on duty almost all day at a major terminal like LA.
Momma to toddler...like Allen stated here, I strongly advice using a Red Cap also. They not only handle all the baggage but will place them onto the train even up to your sleeper. All this for a $5 tip if they do a good job or $10 buck for an extraordinary job. They will also remove them from the train and take them into the station.

Have you considered using a harness for the toddler? That way you do not have to hold his hand and he does not have to hold yours when you need to be sure he is close. Ignore those that want to make snide comments about you treating him like a dog on a leash. It actually is better for both of you. That ways he has hands to do things with and carry something and you can carry more without worrying about either losing what you are carrying or the kid. I have been there on both the kid and parent side of this operation, and can say iit is better from both aspects.

George

It is sometimes easy to get caught up in other peoples imagined difficulties...I am sure you will have an easy time..just ask for a little help from your fellow train passengers if you need to, and you will get all the support you need. I find train travel folk quite "civilized" especially in sleepers, and the sleeping car attendants will assist with baggage too.

Be Brave! Enjoy! Salute!

Ed B)

Boxcar Dummy said:
TransAtlantic said:
If I'm not mistaken, the route from LA to San Antonio will be aboard the Sunset Limited and not the Texas Eagle till you board in San Antonio. I know this may be just a name and number switch and the Sunset may turn into the Eagle or the sleeper will just be unhooked from the Sunset and connected to the Eagle. The sleeper we were on Wednesday actually went on to California from San Antonio.

The Texas Eagle is a Superliner train set that has a very good lounge car with the top portion for observation and the lower part for Snack bar and dining tables. The first movie shown was "Ft. Apache" with Henry Fonda :) I don't know what type the Sunset Limited has.

The Sunset has a bad "on time preformance" record that you may track by going onto Amtracks reservations webpage and scroll toward the bottom and you will see the section for Train status. By inputing the information into the proper areas, you can check any trains Arrival/departure times.

The Eagle averages 1 and 1/2 hours late into Chicago. Last Wednesday on the Eagle(21) we were 6 hours late into San Antonio from Chicago.

Like everydaymatters asked, "if your traveling alone" It sure would be nice to have a travel buddy to help with the baby. If my wife were there, she would certainly hold the baby some as she does with nearly all babies she is around. Hopefully you will find some lady like her to help you.

Good Luck and give us a wave as you come across Texas......BD
the Texas Eagle is more like inbetween 2 to 3 hours late usually into Chicago about 85% to 90% of the time, at least from the times i've seen train #22 arrive into Bloomington-Normal(which is 2 hrs. south of Chicago). if you've very lucky, sometimes it'll run only 1 hr. or 11/2 hrs. late(which i've occasionally seen happen from time to time). however, #22 isn't quite as bad with OTS as say, the Sunset Limited or Coast Starlight, but its usually on par in terms of poor OTS as the #6 C. Zephyr(which has the same problem, as i normally check its OTS daily from Galesburg, IL). hope that helps, as i always try to check daily the OTS of certain trains(some other than trains arriving into Bloomington-Normal daily).

Will your husband or someone else be able to take you to the train station and get you inside where you can get a red cap? Will someone be meeting you when you get off the train and are in the station?

I think you should be able to get a red cap when you get off the train. Just stand there until one comes along. After I had major surgery in Bethesda, I took the CL back to Chicago. My daughter-in-law & grandson were at the station. The red cap took me from the train into the station and then took all of us to the street where the car was parked! They have those ATV-type vehicles. It was terrific service.

Everydaymatters said:
I think you should be able to get a red cap when you get off the train. Just stand there until one comes along.
No need to just stand there, tell your car attendant that you need a Redcap, they'll flag one down for you.

And if you do get off in LA, the sleeping car attendant will usually come around and ask you if there is anything that you need carried downstairs.

And they'll usually empty the luggage rack downstairs and set those bags out on the platform. So all that should help towards getting you off the train, at which point the redcap can take over.

AlanB said:
The managing of all the things is what I worry most about. I have the mental "grit" and can physically handle it but I only have so many hands. I worried about it all day. I am either going to figure out a stop to get off before LA and rent a car from there, then drive the rest to avoid LA (my final destination is outside of LA, not LA itself) or work harder on my sister to take the trip with me. I have 2 children, a laptop, a stroller, a suitcase, a diaper bag, and that is a lot. I guess I was counting on arriving in LA when the "baggage help" touted on the Amtrak website was in service. I see now I can't rely on that.I appreciate all the great advice. I marveled all day long at the "compare the route map with your cell map to know when you will have service" advice. That's great stuff! All the advice has been very helpful. I am still digging through old threads and finding a lot there too.

The other side of the coin is that while you could consider at either San Bernardino or Fulleton, both of which have rental cars on call, if the train is ontime (something that is possible with this train), that you would be arriving at 5:20 AM and 6:20 AM respectively. I'm not sure that you want to be jumping off the train at that hour with your young ones.

As for cell service on the SW Chief with the carrier Cingular, I just took that trip earlier this month. My service is also from Cingular and I had very good reception on that route, even in smaller cities not just the big ones. In fact my reception was so good, I used my cell phones connection to my laptop to post a trip report on my trip directly from the train. If you like, you can read me report here on this very forum by clicking here.
That was a very enlightening read. Thanks for directing me to it. I learned a lot and the leg of your journey between Portland, OR and Tacoma, WA brought back memories of doing that as a young girl. My Grandfather was a railroad man and we got free train rides when we visited. Fun stuff!

I think I will brave LA. We will be switching to a commuter train there and heading south to Anaheim where we will rent our car. Will they have redcaps at Anaheim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back