Amtrak 14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: You didn't check out the power before departure!? For shame!
I'm with my dad. Never thought about it. Oops.
That's okay. Your next best chance to look over the engines - in daylight - should be during the crew change at Klamath Falls. You don't even have to walk the train to get a good look, just stand back on the wide platform. The power will be on a slight curve, with the whole train right in front of you. The RailRiot's CS arrived so early we ate breakfast while sitting in the station and still had plenty of time to hit the ground and look around.

You might see some freight action in the yard, too.

Thanks for the heads up whooz. We arrived Klamath falls at 7:45. I walked the train and got the consist. They took that extra engine off. We just have the 2 genesis.

Baggae 1757

Transition 39032 1440 rm 20 me

32072 1432   

32063 1431 rm 6 dad

32042 1430

Ppc 39975 willamette valley

Diner 38066

Sightseer 33033

Pv Stanford 

Pv Sunset

the private cars were added between jack London and emy.

Hey Steve (maybe dead spot through the mountains),

What's the scenery like? Snow on the ground?

EDIT: Or maybe he's just enjoying the scenery with his dad and doesn't wanna bother with us groundbound geeks right now. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Whooz

It was a dead spot for most of the way.   North oh Klamath falls the lake was covered with fog. Snow Was on the ground from about 20 minutes south of chemult until after we began are descent from cascade summitt. 

It is clearing about 70 miles put of Eugene. There was a light mist/fog most of the way over the summitt. 

I think the pv on the back are business cars for the up.  They are in up colors. The dispatchers should look after us today.

Just noticed several plugs in ppc.  

It was not an f40. I know those. Those one had walkways and railings along the side.
Probably one of the "Pepsi Cans" can't remember the designation of those other than the CDTX 2051 is one of them too.

Thanks for the good blog.

Taking this very same tip in May'10....travelling already, albiet vicariously, with you thru you reports.

Thanks a lot

Your description of the lead unit ex LAX makes it a PepsiCan classic. , a P-xx .

They pull great....but headend hoggers hate them: rough ride....

#510-517 often got one of them when Talgo equipment was subbed by SuperLiners for a few months.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Try and determine when they actually stop sitting folks for dinner today....I hear that Centralia is the bench mark....but also got whiff that the diner crew sometimes gets hissy and won't even till then before shutting hr down.....Likewise, a freind rode late September, sat 10 minutes south of Tacoma and the attendent sat them ( with a warning some of the choices were ''sold out'', not surprisingly the ones that take a bit more time to fix....)

Cheers

claude

They called the 6 pm seating at 5:45. There was an emphasis on seating people early. I beleive all were seated by 6. Don't recall any being seated after 6. Though other crews might be more flexible.

They called the 6 pm seating at 5:45. There was an emphasis on seating people early. I beleive all were seated by 6. Don't recall any being seated after 6. Though other crews might be more flexible.
Thanks for info

If you were running on time, an ''early'' 6.00pm last call to the dining car would just about do it ,and at/near Centralia.

By the time I write this, you'll have been already off the train in Seattle.

Cheers

C

Dad is givinge his review of the food he ate. He warns all to avoid the shrimp scampi. The shrimp were tastless and were rubbery. He liked the ice cream. The steak had a nice flavor.

Steve your trip sounds interesting and harmonious, you and your dad continue to enjoy the trip

Love and Harmony

Si. Isis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back