Amtrak 14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Departed lax ontime. The ppc is operating. Excellent crew. A beautiful day in sunny southern California. Right nowwe are doing a double spot in van nuys.
Aloha

Glad to here you made it and have the PPC, Strangest part of that trip is you Go to Sleep around Northern California and you Awake, you are still in California with one stop left.

We had a meet with a surfliner at chatsworth.
That woulda been 774. You'll likely see 784 waiting to depart Goleta, 792 somewhere around Santa Maria, then meet 11 before SLO if it continues to run on time. Wave as you pass Ventura - after OXN - then enjoy the run up the coast.

EDIT: Assuming a cell connection, Steve, you'll get knocked offline probably north of Gaviota, where the train continues on the coast as 101 turns inland. Mostly dead spot 'til after Vandenberg AFB and the turn inland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Departed lax ontime. The ppc is operating. Excellent crew. A beautiful day in sunny southern California. Right nowwe are doing a double spot in van nuys.
Aloha

Glad to here you made it and have the PPC, Strangest part of that trip is you Go to Sleep around Northern California and you Awake, you are still in California with one stop left.
Yeah but what a sight to wake up to, Mt. Shasta and the snow covered trees and mountains! And you're all warm and snug on the train as you cruise up

and down the mountains on the way to Oregon!Makes me think of the old Texas saying: "sun has riz, sun has set, here we are in Texas yet!" :lol:

Been stopped for 15 minutes at gaviota. No announcement. Hot box dectector or meet?
This is why some of us get scanners.
I gave one but did not want use it in ppc.
Why not? :huh: After all, if you're wearing earphone(s), who's going to hear! And I'm almost sure others in the PC (including the crew) would like to know what's going on too! I used my netbook with GPS in the PPC - and the crew (including the Conductor ;) ) were interested! :)

Partially due to equipment turns, partially due to equipment shortages, and partially due to ridership.

799 comes from the yard each day around 6.45a to pull at 7.30a, and returns to the yard each night. Every other surfliner set (8 others) rotates spending overnights in SAN (3 sets), GTA (1 set), SLO (1 set) and 8th St (3 sets).

Ridership on that particular trainset is consistently sufficiently low that they can get away with 4 single-level cars. The couple of times I've worked it, we could have fit everyone in 2 cars with room to spare. Headed north, after OXN, all passengers could have comfortably fit in a single car, with plenty of room to spare.

(799/798 -LAX-SLO- aren't the longest Surfliner runs, BTW. 775/774 are, SAN-SLO and back. I'm just sayin'...)

Travel light!

~BJG

Just met a surfliner with amcans. Why run those on the longest trip for surfliners

Just met a surfliner with amcans. Why run those on the longest trip for surfliners
That was 792. 799/798/792 (weekend no. southbound) consist only runs north of L.A. Longest Surfliner runs are 774 SLO-SAN, and 775 SAN-SLO. As I understand it, CalTrans (aka Amtrak California) wanted and was willing to pay for another Surfliner, but not enough Surfliner equipment for another consist, hence the Amfleet/Horizon consist, sometimes augmented by the superdome.

I think Genesis are P42s, "boxier" engine is likely P32.

EDIT: You didn't check out the power before departure!? For shame!

Last edited by a moderator:
That was 792. 799/798/792 (weekend no. southbound) consist only runs north of L.A. Longest Surfliner runs are 774 SLO-SAN, and 775 SAN-SLO. As I understand it, CalTrans (aka Amtrak California) wanted and was willing to pay for another Surfliner, but not enough Surfliner equipment for another consist, hence the Amfleet/Horizon consist, sometimes augmented by the superdome.

I think Genesis are P42s, "boxier" engine is likely P32.

EDIT: You didn't check out the power before departure!? For shame!

I'm with my dad. Never thought about it. Oops.

Unfortunately Michelle is not doing it this trip. It is a guy named mark. The attendant in the 1431 car is good. Her name escapes me. The wine tasting lasted all the way over cuesta pass. It was a nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back