Amtrak 66/67 - Amfleet II?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtonFlyer

Train Attendant
I realize that it is a longshot (at least for now) that we'll be seeing a viewliner on 66/67 anytime soon, but why not make the consist up with Amfleet II's? It certainly would make overnight in a coach a bit more bearable. Anyone have any insight/thoughts?

Issues with getting AFIIs where they need to go I suppose... mostly used for the day trains, and it is technically a regional, it does not leave the NEC. Granted people spend "the night" in coach, but I wonder just how many actually spend the whole run there-- from VA to BOS?

My guess is MOST people who need to be in BOS or WAS in the morning take the last Acela out and hotel it...

The times I've taken 66/67 (including once from KIN-WIL), I've saw very few of the same people for a long haul. And these trains make many stops in a short time. (Just between KIN and NLC - about 35 minutes - including KIN and NLC, there are 4 stops!)

Plus, they do not dim the lights! Not very conducive to sleeping!

i must be a rare bread. lights don't bother me when sleeping.

I've gotten more or less used to sleeping with lights, as I work the graveyard shift (11PM to 7AM) and sleep during the day. So I'm at least used to sleeping when there's far more light. One side benefit of those work hours is that I'm wide awake when traveling to and from Spokane, with the oddball hours the Empire Builder arrives and leaves Spokane.

Issues with getting AFIIs where they need to go I suppose... mostly used for the day trains, and it is technically a regional, it does not leave the NEC. Granted people spend "the night" in coach, but I wonder just how many actually spend the whole run there-- from VA to BOS?
My guess is MOST people who need to be in BOS or WAS in the morning take the last Acela out and hotel it...
Good point. What about running a trainset from Newport News to WAS - then during the very long layover there - switch the pax to Amfleet II's? I figure it would be easier to keep them close to WAS then to go all the way.

I (too) doubt many people make the full run from VA to BOS - but (selfishly) I would love to jump on at PHL right around midnight and be able to look forward to 6 hours in a nice AFII reclining seat. As a frequent traveler - lights don't bother me at all.

Good point. What about running a trainset from Newport News to WAS - then during the very long layover there - switch the pax to Amfleet II's? I figure it would be easier to keep them close to WAS then to go all the way.
The real problem is that there are not that many Amfleet IIs lying around unused ready to be assigned to this train.

The latest train to get Amfleet IIs I believe is the Adirondack, and that took some significant amount of scrounging. That is a train that does have a real good use for the larger windows in those cars too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back