Amtrak Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TransitRider

Service Attendant
Since Amtrak uses TGV for their Acela trains. I wonder how much are these for one set if I want to own for myself. I am just curious? I know there are cost to build, ship to here and stuff. Would that be $25 million? $50 million?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Amtrak uses TGV for their Acela trains. I wonder how much are these for one set if I want to own for myself. I am just curious? I know there are cost to build, ship to here and stuff. Would that be $25 million? $50 million?
The Acela is not a TGV. There are some propulsion similarities, but the Acela trainset is different from TGV in many ways.

The Acela sets were about $40 million each in 2000. Today's pricing would be a bit higher. Make an offer.

buy in bulk the more you buy the more you save. heck i got a acela consent in my garage collecting dust. 50 million or best offer never used.

buy in bulk the more you buy the more you save. heck i got a acela consent in my garage collecting dust. 50 million or best offer never used.
Ooh really could I swing by and take a look? Warren isn't to far from A2. :D

Sersiously I'm sure if you have enough funds your could buy an Acela, TGV, ICE, or Shinkansen. However just getting the train wouldn't be half of your problems; where are you going to run it here in the states. I Guess you could try and squeeze in on the NEC. But anywhere else you would also have to buy the line and have it upgraded to meet whatever train you pick's standards.

peter

Sersiously I'm sure if you have enough funds your could buy an Acela, TGV, ICE, or Shinkansen. However just getting the train wouldn't be half of your problems; where are you going to run it here in the states. I Guess you could try and squeeze in on the NEC. But anywhere else you would also have to buy the line and have it upgraded to meet whatever train you pick's standards.
Not to mention that first you will have to spend 6 months getting it certified for operation by AAR and FRA, which will be a very non-trivial exercise for anything other than the Acela.

Even if you made a serious offer to Bombardier they don't have anywhere to build them. I forget where they built the Acela train sets but I know it wasn't in a factory that is still operating today.

If I was looking to buy a train set, the retired GrandLuxe cars would be at the top of my list.
The problem with them is the price, they are in nice condition generally and I believe still Amtrak certified. You can buy for personal use a small unused railine and a few cars with a loco for a lot less money than even one of those cars, I'd think.

I heard from someone that two of the Turboliners are actually in fairly useable condition, and I'd bet you Amtrak would be happy to get scrap value for them.

Even if you made a serious offer to Bombardier they don't have anywhere to build them. I forget where they built the Acela train sets but I know it wasn't in a factory that is still operating today.
Barre, VT, IIRC. And no, its not still in operation.
Amtrak’s Acela and Superliner II’s were built at Bombardier’s plant in La Pocatiere, Quebec and it's still open. A “Buy American” clause required a certain percentage of the cars to be completed in the States so they were shipped to plants in Barre VT and Plattsburgh NY to be finished. I believe the Plattsburgh facility is also still open.

La Pocatiere is 400 KM east of Montreal along CN’s mainline to Halifax. Here’s a view of the facility taken from the Skyline Dome on VIA’s Ocean in 2004......running hours late due to a very evident snow storm.

The equipment in the yard were new cars for Metro North and the Long Island RR.

And note the centenary over the yard tracks occasionally used for testing purposes.

DSC00124.JPG

If I was looking to buy a train set, the retired GrandLuxe cars would be at the top of my list.
The problem with them is the price, they are in nice condition generally and I believe still Amtrak certified. You can buy for personal use a small unused railine and a few cars with a loco for a lot less money than even one of those cars, I'd think.

I heard from someone that two of the Turboliners are actually in fairly useable condition, and I'd bet you Amtrak would be happy to get scrap value for them.
Just for giggles, I did a search on the Grand Luxe Train. According to this website , they will be releasing info in Mid 2010 for itineraries in 2011.

I thought it was long gone too, but I guess not!

Just for giggles, I did a search on the Grand Luxe Train. According to this website , they will be releasing info in Mid 2010 for itineraries in 2011.I thought it was long gone too, but I guess not!
its under new ownership

PLEASE NOTE: Grandluxe Rail Journeys, formerly the American Orient Express, ceased operations effective August 28, 2008.
The train equipment has been purchased and new owners are planning trips for the 2011 travel season. These new itineraries will be available for purchase in mid 2010. Please sign up below to be notified when new information is available.

Just for giggles, I did a search on the Grand Luxe Train. According to this website , they will be releasing info in Mid 2010 for itineraries in 2011.I thought it was long gone too, but I guess not!
Just for googles, I did a search on the American Orient Express, and was relying on this website. I guess this one isn't being kept up to date, even though they claim it will be. :eek:

Just for googles, I did a search on the American Orient Express, and was relying on this website. I guess this one isn't being kept up to date, even though they claim it will be. :eek:
Thanks for the link-it's got a few good pics of the inside, the other site didn't have much. I signed up with the vacations by rail website for updates & got an auto response, so hopefully I'll get some info on the 2011 itinerary. Not that I could afford it!

its under new ownership

PLEASE NOTE: Grandluxe Rail Journeys, formerly the American Orient Express, ceased operations effective August 28, 2008.
The train equipment has been purchased and new owners are planning trips for the 2011 travel season. These new itineraries will be available for purchase in mid 2010. Please sign up below to be notified when new information is available.
Yes, I remember reading that it was for sale in 2009, & had not seen any updates lately. It's good that someone bought it and are going to start running it again. I guess they are doing repairs etc. on it before they start running it next year.

Thanks for the link-it's got a few good pics of the inside, the other site didn't have much. I signed up with the vacations by rail website for updates & got an auto response, so hopefully I'll get some info on the 2011 itinerary. Not that I could afford it!

Acording to Wikipedia (if you want to trust it) the AOE cars were bought by Xanterra Parks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient_Expres..._using_the_name

peter

...Acording to Wikipedia (if you want to trust it) the AOE cars were bought by Xanterra Parks.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient_Expres..._using_the_name

peter
Xanterra Parks & Resorts, who bought most of the former AOE cars, is the owner of the Grand Canyon Railway and the current owner of what was once the Fred Harvey Company. They are pretty experienced operators of travel services, so there is hope for a successful revival of the AOE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back