Amtrak Addiction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I just recieved a piece of luggage that I ordered for my May Trip. I, as I type this, have all my bags on the living room floor with a list of what goes in each bag!! Would you consider this behavior addictive/obsessive or WHAT!!!! :D :cool: :eek:

RF

I just recieved a piece of luggage that I ordered for my May Trip. I, as I type this, have all my bags on the living room floor with a list of what goes in each bag!! Would you consider this behavior addictive/obsessive or WHAT!!!! :D :cool: :eek: RF
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like us last year before the 'big trip' from SLC to OLW & back!!! Sounds pretty normal to me...

I usually start pulling luggage & lists at least a month prior, if not sooner. :cool: Not excited, are you? :cool:

I just recieved a piece of luggage that I ordered for my May Trip. I, as I type this, have all my bags on the living room floor with a list of what goes in each bag!! Would you consider this behavior addictive/obsessive or WHAT!!!! :D :cool: :eek: RF
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like us last year before the 'big trip' from SLC to OLW & back!!! Sounds pretty normal to me...

I usually start pulling luggage & lists at least a month prior, if not sooner. :cool: Not excited, are you? :cool:

WHOOOO HOOOO!!!

RF :lol: :D :p

WHOOOO HOOOO!!!

RF :lol: :D :p

All right!!! :cool: Try to enjoy yourself!! :lol: I don't think we will be going on the train until October......I have to wait a while. :( But it's better than not going at all!!

the folks at onebag.com and onebagoneworld wouldn't think so :)

I KNOW I have an addiction. If I don't get a steady dose of Amtrak, my mood can get nasty in a hurry. A few (ignorant female) colleagues and one student (starter on varsity basketball team who messed with me first in the hall) have experienced my worse side as I repeatedly check my Iphone for the status of the freight derailment on sand-patch to determine if the Capitol Limited will go Thursday.

You know you're addicted to Amtrak when...

...you refer to the extra pencil you keep in your car as your "protect pencil" after Amtrak's western "protect locomotives."

...you can draw most if not all of Amtrak's routes from memory.

...you know the stations more by code than by name.

...you have memorized many of the trains arrival and departure times even if you never have and might not ride them soon.

...you go through the city of Atlanta instead of around the perimeter just to see the Crescent truncated to Atlanta.

...you spend hours working out schedules and routes of routes that will never come to pass no matter how hard you wish.

...your priority for your home city is to build a better, bigger Amtrak station to replace the Amshack.

you know your addicted to Amtrak when you

tell your students "I run the railroad"

use train analogies when having a talk about your relationship with your girlfriend

obsess about Amtrak guess reward points

know your way around NYP, 30th street, and Washington Union Station when you live in Chicago

Check train status for your train weeks before the actual trip

You know you're addicted to Amtrak when......you refer to the extra pencil you keep in your car as your "protect pencil" after Amtrak's western "protect locomotives."

...you can draw most if not all of Amtrak's routes from memory.

...you know the stations more by code than by name.

...you have memorized many of the trains arrival and departure times even if you never have and might not ride them soon.

...you go through the city of Atlanta instead of around the perimeter just to see the Crescent truncated to Atlanta.

...you spend hours working out schedules and routes of routes that will never come to pass no matter how hard you wish.

...your priority for your home city is to build a better, bigger Amtrak station to replace the Amshack.
Yes - to all of the above! :p

tell your students "I run the railroad"

use train analogies when having a talk about your relationship with your girlfriend

obsess about Amtrak guess reward points

know your way around NYP, 30th street, and Washington Union Station when you live in Chicago

Check train status for your train weeks before the actual trip
Yes - to all of the above! :p

You know you're addicted

...when you complain about being off Amtrak for a whole month and a half

...you need to take an "emergency trip" to nowhere next week because it's been so long

...you have not unpacked your bags from your last trip - just in case you need to take a trip

...you keep 2 or more train schedules in your car

...you plan an award trip from the city of and after the Gathering 10 months in advance - even before the city/date was decided :p

...you plan cross country trips thru BHM for :D more train time

...you ride CHI-CHI via CVS, NOL and SAS during a cross country trip

...you WISH your train is late :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
...attempt to delay departure on family car trips, so when you reach the point where you cross an Amtrak train's route, you can say there is a train coming in 15 minutes and convince the family to pull over so you can watch it pass

...have "Amtrak" or "Julie" on speed dial on your cell phone

...when you hear the name Julie you think of a robot voice asking about stations and train numbers, not a girl you know

...look into getting a K5LA, bell, ditch lights, etc. installed on your car

...have piles of old Amtrak timetables lying around your room

...have spent hundreds of dollars attempting to create a realistic HO scale model of Amtrak's Capitol Limited

...have logged thousands of miles on Amtrak since the last time you flew on an airplane

...only drive/fly someplace if there is no Amtrak service there

...save napkins, plastic dinging car plates, plastic cups with the Amtrak logo with the intention of someday being able to create a dining car place setting

...have more pictures of Amtrak trains saved on your computer than you do of family/friends

...call out traffic lights when you're driving around town (e.g. "clear, Third Street")

...think to call your host railroad to request a rescue engine when your car has troubles, before remembering you have no host railroad

...consider the outlet in your car to be Head End Power

...have trouble sleeping because your bed doesn't sway side to side, and you don't hear a horn every few minutes

...think of the left lane as "the express track"

...send your friends postcards with photos of the Amtrak train you rode, rather than photos of the place you visited, when you go on vacation

...consider a vacation without a ride on Amtrak a waste of money

You know you're an addict .....

.....when you spend hours on this site daily checking all new posts

.....when you aren't on this site, you are cruising You Tube for all available Amtrak videos

.....You tell your husband about all your new friends (aka Alan B, GML, rrdude, Suncatcher, Ryan, Blue Jean Girl, etc)

Okay, I guess that compared to some (most?) of y'all I not really that bad off (yet). I will admit though that yesterday, being off from work, I decided to go scope out the GAC (Santa Clara, CA - Great America) since I discovered that they have free parking and I'm planning a day trip to SAC on the Capitol Corridor just to check out the railroad museum, eat some lunch and head back. Can I help it if I checked the schedule to time my visit there with both a westbound and an eastbound train stopping by only about 1/2 hour apart? :blush:

...when you draw an analogy to walking between campus buildings and the NEC as you using the "express track" to get around slower people :p

I have yet to actually take my first trip on Amtrak (April 23rd) but am already looking for another one. I already have a list going of what I need to take. Oh and I bought snacks already -- they are well hidden from the kids. I can see this becoming a new hobby. I was looking around for places to go from Maricopa or Flagstaff so I can take the kids on the train. Doesn't seem to matter where we go. I was glad to see your thread 'cause now I feel normal.

Andrea

When i arrive on time at work, and tell myself "on the advertised."

When I tell tardy students, "you are worse than Amtrak, and you do not have the Union Pacific as an excuse."

When I don't need the menu in the diner.

When I settle into a roomette, and know where very switch is, and feel that I am at home.

...When you read the "Amtrak Addiction" thread, and realize that it describes you to a T!

...When you read the letter "T" above, and South Station (Or BBY) was the first thing you thought of.

...when you take the secondary route home just so you pass the station - and then find out that you just missed the train BY 2 MINUTES :eek: (this happened yesterday :lol: )

...when you know the schedule by memory so well that you plan your visits to the station for when there will be 3 trains at or thru the station within 10 minutes of each other

I think of one person having to "go into a hole" when two people have to pass in a narrow corrider.

Frequently I shop for groceries at the Kroger across from the Atlanta train station on Saturday or Sunday when the southbound Crescent is due.

I used to shop at Cub Foods, no longer there, in the Lindberg area. I would often see the Crescent there. Suffice it to say I am always looking out for trains. I never ride the bus by the Amtrak station without seeing what is going on even if no passenger train is due for hours.

Growing up in Chattanooga I could tell a million tales of how I would finagle things for daddy to drive by the station when a train was in, etc.

About junior high age I had a schedule posted in our kitchen showing the departure times and arrivals times of my daddy from work, my mother from work, my sister from school and me from school.

I had a schedule on myself to walk home from junior high school. The trip took 35 minutes. For the last "stop" before our house I had padding in the schedule to cushion for delays. Sometimes I would use up my time by walking very slowly that last stretch, sometimes I stood on the sidewalk like a complete birdbrain going nowhere, "waiting for time"

I should have been commited, if not just shot. How my beloved parents put up with me, I will never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back