Amtrak and Lyft do a deal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiBike

OBS Chief
The press release is here:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/amtrak-and-lyft-announce-rideshare-partnership-300497528.html

The meat of the announcement is:

Beginning today, customers can use the Amtrak mobile app to access the Lyft app to request a ride. New users of Lyft will receive $5 off each of their first four Lyft rides by using the promo code AMTRAKLYFT. Lyft operates in more than 360 communities across the U.S., covering 80 percent of the U.S. population and reaching 97 percent of Amtrak riders. This partnership allows for a seamless end-to-end travel experience from your doorstep to an Amtrak station.

To access the feature on the mobile app, you have to go to "Train Status" and look up a train by station and date. The Lyft button is at the bottom of the screen. If you press it, it takes you to a sign up screen. I didn't take it any farther than that -- I usually use Uber and don't have my Lyft credentials handy. But it seems to work. But make sure your app is updated -- they pushed it out either last night or this morning.

A sidenote -- I get (and usually read) a lot of tech-related newsletters. Seeing "Amtrak" in a tech headline was a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, would be great.. if they hadn't given up on the Windows App. I guess some of us aren't getting a Lyft today.

I was very pleased to see this. I'm a pretty big Lyft user so the more integration the better IMO.

That said, it seems like this wasn't particularly difficult for Amtrak to implement since it's just a button that opens the Lyft app on your phone.

Also, It would be great if Amtrak did a partnership with Lyft like Delta did where you get miles for each Lyft ride you take.

I got using Uber when Hilton set up their APP had it where it entered the address of the hotel you had a reservation at. It was really easy to use that way, but recently I do not see any links on the reservation Uber or Lyft.

As an Uber/Lyft driver, ANYTHING that encourages riders over new drivers is welcome. :)

Reading the Uber/Lyft forums, though, not a lot of excitement by drivers to make the "last mile" trips for $2.30 (our cut for minimum fare rides). But they fail to realize the potential in places like Maricopa.

I've been picking up Uber and Lyft passengers from Amtrak Savannah since I started driving. And, yeah, it's not near as lucrative as the airport to downtown, but I've had long fares, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, would be great.. if they hadn't given up on the Windows App. I guess some of us aren't getting a Lyft today.
You and the other 5 Windows users ;p
Might as well complain about the lack of a Symbian, BBOS, or WebOS app at this point. You can request Lyft via a browser on Windows and modern "apps" are little more than specialized websites that collect and sell advanced telemetry data anyhow.

Desktop or mobile browser
If you can't use the Lyft app but have a Lyft account, request a ride using a browser:

1. Go to http://ride.lyft.com
  2. Enter the phone number associated with your Lyft account
  3. We’ll send you a text with a verification code. Enter the code to log in.
  4. Request a ride the same way you would on the app. Heads up: Apple Pay can't be used when requesting a ride on a browser.
Browser ride tips
  • At this time, you can only request original Lyft or Lyft Plus using a browser. We’re working to bring Lyft Line and Premier to browsers soon!
  • If you don’t know your pickup address, enable your location in the browser's settings and make sure the pin is displayed in the right spot. If the pin’s placement is incorrect, enter a nearby address or venue and meet your driver there.
  • If you request on a desktop or tablet, you can see your driver’s progress in the browser or app. However, keep an eye on your phone because we'll text you important ride updates.
  • If you request a Lyft on your desktop and then leave the house with only your smartphone, you'll still be able to see the request in the app.
  • If you request a Lyft Line from your phone, you can check the driver’s location on a browser, but the ride will appear as an original Lyft and only show part of the route. Feel free to bookmark http://ride.lyft.com on your browser!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got using Uber when Hilton set up their APP had it where it entered the address of the hotel you had a reservation at. It was really easy to use that way, but recently I do not see any links on the reservation Uber or Lyft.
I've noticed that Starwood Preferred Guest has an ongoing promotion where you can link your SPG and Uber accounts and get SPG points for your Uber trips. I believe it was originally limited to the duration of a concurrent SPG-eligible stay, but that may have changed to allow credit for all Uber travel. I completely forgot about it when I did my early summer travel to see if/how it works/worked.

The partnership with SPG may be why Hilton doesn't promote ridesharing via their app. Also, the latest versions of Google Maps have ridesharing built in and by hitting the appropriate button within Google Maps, the Uber or Lyft app will open with the entered itinerary already populated.

Back