Amtrak Autumn Excursion 2016 - 10/29 & 30 - Confirmed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh oh - AccuWeather's forecast for tomorrow (2016-10-22) calls for "gusts 40-50mph, falling temperatures, significant leaf drop." The leaves were pretty much gone for the Reading autumn express but a good time was had, by most anyway.

RPC, we haven't hit peak season yet here in the Philly area. And as far as I can tell same for the Lehigh line and Harrisburg line.
Some years the leaves go from green to brown to ground. Like in '84 when I had my fall wedding - hoping for some great outdoor pics.

Traveled down the NEC to Baltimore today. We're juuuuust shy of peak in the New Haven/Stamford/NY Penn area, and as we traveled South everything got greener and greener. Fall colors are showing, but by my unscientific analysis, next weekend should be great for the leafers. Of course, most of them should be on the Adirondack, no?

Are we not gathering together on the excursion train to spend 10 hours together eating sandwiches and swapping big fish stories about trains?

Are we not gathering together on the excursion train to spend 10 hours together eating sandwiches and swapping big fish stories about trains?
That would be nice...is there a usual meeting place before boarding, or on the train?

I haven't had the pleasure, on the first three excursions...

I usually like to sit in the first car, to enjoy the __ __ . __ "music". :)

What're the implications of the Sunoco pipeline spill in Lancaster co on the Susquehanna river, if any, on our trip?

That would be nice...is there a usual meeting place before boarding, or on the train?

I haven't had the pleasure, on the first three excursions...

I usually like to sit in the first car, to enjoy the __ __ . __ "music". :)
This will be #3 excursion for us but we haven't quite managed to meet up in person with anybody from here on the other two. I'll be with my 7-yo son. We usually try to find ourselves in one of the bulkhead seats by the bathroom. He generally prefers to ride backwards and the extra room for him to play on the floor is key. You'll be able to recognize us - I'll have on brown cowboy boots and he looks like a miniature Keith Richards.

Hello,

I'm not very familiar with the New York station and have some questions about this up coming trip:

1 - What time do you think would be best to arrive at the New York station on Saturday?

2 - I'm a bit of a picky eater, any recommendations of places around the station where I could pick up some take away on Saturday morning?

Hello,

I'm not very familiar with the New York station and have some questions about this up coming trip:

1 - What time do you think would be best to arrive at the New York station on Saturday?

2 - I'm a bit of a picky eater, any recommendations of places around the station where I could pick up some take away on Saturday morning?
That would depend on how picky you are on choosing your seat....

based on observations from the first excursion's, the line starts forming 90 minutes or more before departure, but doesn't really start getting long until about 45 minutes before departure. You can arrive at the last few minutes, if you don't care about getting particular seats, or sitting together with other's in your party....

As for food recommendations....there are many places to choose from both in and around the station. I haven't been there in quite a while, so I can't recommend any place in particular. In case you weren't aware, there is a box lunch included in the fare, as well as beverages and snacks available for purchase on board.

Any idea of the time the Autumn Express will pass through Lebanon, PA? I plan to have my scanner and listen for it over NS dispatch.

Any idea of the time the Autumn Express will pass through Lebanon, PA? I plan to have my scanner and listen for it over NS dispatch.
I'd bet between 12:15-12:45. Remember, it will **probably** have a different train symbol/identity on NS. It kind of reminds me of the former south/west Twilight Shoreliner. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how NYP will handle the boarding, compared with the previous years in Philly and Albany?

Any tips for securing an early boarding? The usual 'get a redcap'? Will AU people meet somewhere ahead of time?
I'll be arriving around 6:30 am (#150??) and have never been to NYP except passing through or doing a cross platform transfer, so it will be interesting to me. I expect to meet some fellow AUers somewhere.
I will get into NYP around 6:40am by NJT from Newark, following your marker into NYP I guess. :)

It's NYP, will there even be a place to line up for all of you taking the excursion? Won't it just be the usual scrum when the track is announced 15 minutes prior to departure?

Will the exit concourse trick work for it?

If I still lived in New York I'd probably finally take this excursion.

It's NYP, will there even be a place to line up for all of you taking the excursion? Won't it just be the usual scrum when the track is announced 15 minutes prior to departure?

Will the exit concourse trick work for it?

If I still lived in New York I'd probably finally take this excursion.
That's a good question...I suppose they could set up a "maze" in the rotunda area, if they wanted to, but you may be right...

As far as the exit concourse...they may anticipate, and stage usher's at each lower level entrance to the track to block access that way...

If their goal is to prevent overcrowding on the narrow platform, they'd have no choice but to block all entrances except a few where lines will inevitably form. But we'll see in a couple of days, won't we?

I wonder how NYP will handle the boarding, compared with the previous years in Philly and Albany?

Any tips for securing an early boarding? The usual 'get a redcap'? Will AU people meet somewhere ahead of time?
I'll be arriving around 6:30 am (#150??) and have never been to NYP except passing through or doing a cross platform transfer, so it will be interesting to me. I expect to meet some fellow AUers somewhere.
I will get into NYP around 6:40am by NJT from Newark, following your marker into NYP I guess. :)
Looked at my ticket. 6:42 - so I may following your marker into NYP. ;)

If their goal is to prevent overcrowding on the narrow platform, they'd have no choice but to block all entrances except a few where lines will inevitably form. But we'll see in a couple of days, won't we?
Or....they could open up the train earlier than normal for boarding....being that it's the weekend, spotting the train early should't be a problem...

Or....they could open up the train earlier than normal for boarding....being that it's the weekend, spotting the train early should't be a problem...
I've heard boarding begins at 7:30.

Yes. It has been announced that boarding begins at 7:30am.

BTW, weather now looks good to excellent along the route of the Excursion on Saturday according to wunderground.com

I've heard boarding begins at 7:30.
I really hope they post the track and form an organized queue before 7:30- the sight of 500-600 people rushing to a posted track at 7:30 does not sound appealing. The past 3 years have been very organized with the "early birds" being rewarded with a spot closer to the front. If a track isn't posted until 7:30 there isn't even any point arriving early. I guess we'll see.

Since everyone is talking about track numbers, figured I'd share this video. Pay attention to the departures board section. I've used this trick to successfully be the first in line for the trains before the large board shows the track number. Obviously since this is a special train they may handle things different from a regularly scheduled train.

If someone could indicate when the Lancaster photo stop is tomorrow that would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back