Amtrak Bulk Freight Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
I didn't get a picture, but I saw a couple of coal-type cars in Philly with Amtrak's name on them when passing through on the Silver Meteor this morning. When did Amtrak get those, and where did they come from?

I didn't get a picture, but I saw a couple of coal-type cars in Philly with Amtrak's name on them when passing through on the Silver Meteor this morning. When did Amtrak get those, and where did they come from?
The cars are used to haul ballast for MOW work. No idea of the history of the cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they're the last remnants of a little known failed plan to offer ultra low fares. The executives behind it were sacked and went on to form RyanAir.

Huh??????

Ballast cars are not heritage cars. They are simply a specialized freight car used to haul and place the rock used for ballast.

SP&S: I assume you are simply being sarcastic.
He was: They actually formed Spirit Airlines.

(Sorry...I've just heard awful things about so many of those low-end carriers that it's not even funny.)

Huh??????

Ballast cars are not heritage cars. They are simply a specialized freight car used to haul and place the rock used for ballast.

SP&S: I assume you are simply being sarcastic.
Not true. Go to Amtrak.com and you will find under public relations that they won the contract from Santa to provide gifts for the politicians in Washington and the bankers. They will haul coal.

Are you saying that Amtrak purchased all of their hopper cars for MOW?
They had to get them from somebody. Either new from car builders or used from freight railroads or private owners.
That doesn't mean that they paid for them, however.
Probably does unless the requisiton order was signed by Smith & Wesson, or one of his buddies, Mr Remmington or Colt

They had to get them from somebody. Either new from car builders or used from freight railroads or private owners.
Probably does unless the requisiton order was signed by Smith & Wesson, or one of his buddies, Mr Remmington or Colt
Not saying that Amtrak hasn't brought some of its own cars, but I believe that they got some handed to them from the Pennsy when Congress turned the NEC over to them.

Not saying that Amtrak hasn't brought some of its own cars, but I believe that they got some handed to them from the Pennsy when Congress turned the NEC over to them.
I didn't think that hopper cars tended to last that long (that'd be 35+-year-old cars)...though these were pretty beaten-up cars.

I don't think that "hold rocks" is a tall order. I still see WP and MP cars among UP's rainbow fleet.

I don't think that "hold rocks" is a tall order. I still see WP and MP cars among UP's rainbow fleet.
And I've seen a car from Southern on a siding in Virginia twice (and not had my camera handy either time), and I can't count how many old Conrail cars I've seen (to say nothing of the cars bearing "NYC" numbers from Conrail and the CSX buyout), but I must admit that the idea of there being WP cars still in the mix surprises me. Even so, Amtrak's cars are 7-15 years older than those would have to be, which makes their survival a bit more surprising.

You're right that "hold rocks" isn't a tall order, but the loading/unloading process is a bit harsher than the treatment the diners get. That said, I can't speak to car mileage...but it looks like Amtrak is mostly renting Herzog cars and supplementing them with hoppers they're running down now.

The UP cars have definitely seen better days. But the WP, MP, CNW, D&RGW, SP, etc. cars are still here, apparently making local runs for Granite Rock.

You're right that "hold rocks" isn't a tall order, but the loading/unloading process is a bit harsher than the treatment the diners get. That said, I can't speak to car mileage...but it looks like Amtrak is mostly renting Herzog cars and supplementing them with hoppers they're running down now.
I don't think ballast hoppers get that much mileage. That's why mostly when we see them they are standing around somewhere, it being much rarer to see tham actually in use.

Coal hoppers and similar probably get a much tougher treatment and higher mileage and yet there are still plenty of older types around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back