Amtrak Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, pre-assigned seating is the primary reason to book Business Class in the corridor. And, from my limited experience, it works well.
Likewise. It certainly works wonderfully when you are boarding en route. For example I was traveling from Raleigh to Greensboro by the Carolinian, and had a window seat in a more or less completely full BC. There was no way I was going to get that without assigned seat reservation.

By pre-assigned seating - - -
Does this mean assigned during boarding ?
OR when booking the reservation selecting a specific seat ?

The frequent traveler knowing the layout of the car would perhaps know the best seats
away from noisy ends of the cars (doors opening/closing --- seats above the wheels etc.)

By pre-assigned seating - - -
Does this mean assigned during boarding ?
OR when booking the reservation selecting a specific seat ?

The frequent traveler knowing the layout of the car would perhaps know the best seats
away from noisy ends of the cars (doors opening/closing --- seats above the wheels etc.)

The seat is assigned when the reservation is made. When your booking is complete, the reservation system picks your specific seat which is shown in your reservation details. You can then change that seat by going to your reservation online or in the app. A seat map will be displayed, your current seat shown, and you can change to any other available seat.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-30 111225.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-30 111225.png
    81 KB · Views: 0
Oh, there is some value. It's usually less crowded, more legroom than coach, window curtains. and you get assigned seats
I haven't ridden BC since the assigned seats - I would find value in that. Question - how well does it work? When I took brightline last, there was a lady in my assigned seat so I sat across the aisle and then a guy wanted my seat cause he was assigned and I asked the lady if I could have my seat and it turned into a very strange interaction. I had a similar encounter on Alaska Railroad this summer.

It probably helps that BC travels on the NEC are a little more used to it but wondering how it's working in real life.

I haven't ridden BC since the assigned seats - I would find value in that. Question - how well does it work? When I took brightline last, there was a lady in my assigned seat so I sat across the aisle and then a guy wanted my seat cause he was assigned and I asked the lady if I could have my seat and it turned into a very strange interaction. I had a similar encounter on Alaska Railroad this summer.

It probably helps that BC travels on the NEC are a little more used to it but wondering how it's working in real life.
Probably happens when boarding the car some folks don't know right from left and also don't read the
signage/label on the seat or overhead bin.
Happens on the airlines tooo with assigned seating
Solution get the car attendant/conductor or possibly gently politely ask the party to move to
their own assigned seat - moving to another seat just compounds the problem.
AND then there is possibly an issue with the fabulous nothing can go wrong Amtrak arrow computer
duping seats ?

Brightline needs staffing to help in seat assignment enforcement on board. On my last ride in Premium, there was a lady sitting in my seat. I gently asked her to please vacate. She pulled out her ticket and waved it at me saying that it was her seat. I read the ticket and pointed out to her that she was free riding in Premium when her ticket was for Select in a different car. At which point she sheepishly went away. It was not clear who from Brightline was on the train and where s/he was to be located to actually enforce the assignment should a need arise.

Coming back to Amtrak BC, there have been many cases of assigned seat erroneously occupied, but people in general seem to be aware enough to resolve, and Amtrak trains have an identifiable person on board to help with resolution.

The seat is assigned when the reservation is made. When your booking is complete, the reservation system picks your specific seat which is shown in your reservation details. You can then change that seat by going to your reservation online or in the app. A seat map will be displayed, your current seat shown, and you can change to any other available seat.
Right, unlike every other assigned seat system AFAIK, Amtrak makes you pay before having the privilege of viewing the seat map. Ridiculous.

What if someone only wants to spend the absurd prices for Acela First if they can secure a single seat? They have to pony up first.

What if someone only wants to spend the absurd prices for Acela First if they can secure a single seat? They have to pony up first.
That did happen to me... I was booking pretty last minute for Boston to NYP and would have paid the extra for 1st if I knew I could get a solo or window seat. I didn't really have time to call or check with an agent so I just booked BC so at least if i don't get a window seat right away I can move when others detrain.

I'm probably the minority with that issue, but it does happen.

Brightline needs staffing to help in seat assignment enforcement on board.
Thank you... I thought I just had back luck! haha.

Right, unlike every other assigned seat system AFAIK, Amtrak makes you pay before having the privilege of viewing the seat map. Ridiculous.

If it's a cash purchase, you can always get a full refund within 24 hours of booking. I don't think that applies to points bookings.

Correct. Costs nothing to have the seat map available before paying. And god forbid someone chooses their own sleeper, where you must call to see what's available or even move rooms after booking.

Correct. Costs nothing to have the seat map available before paying. And god forbid someone chooses their own sleeper, where you must call to see what's available or even move rooms after booking.
I am fortunate now I do my booking at the Amtrak ticket office in the St. Paul Union Depot and get the results
squared away in one transaction - no waiting on the phone or booking on-line and then having to contact Amtrak to get the mess straighten out. Of course there is the problem to find a station agent available with time to do this.
But with only two trains a day - there is plenty of time to wait and watch some of the 60 + freight trains traversing
the WYE just east of the Depot. SPUD has 2 web-cams showing the action - LINK:

https://www.uniondepot.org/train-cams/

Oh, there is some value. It's usually less crowded, more legroom than coach, window curtains. and you get assigned seats
Business Class seats aren't assigned on the Lincoln Service or Missouri River Runner. But the extra legroom, less crowding & window curtains are all there, and very nice, too!

Some value, but not quite enough unless the train is busy or sold out. There is little appreciable difference in the quality of the seats and free soda isn’t enough to automatically justify the price difference. A qualified yes only.

Best BC is the Pacific Surfliner. Wine or beer and snacks in the afternoon.
I've actually had pretty bad luck with BC on the Surfliner. The last time I rode it I asked for a bottle of water and was told "we gave out all our water, you can go to the cafe and purchase one if you'd like" so I got a sparkling water which was luke-warm - no ice was available. On the plus side, the superliner coach that was providing over-flow business class space had plenty of open seats, so it was easy to get an ocean-side window seat. So I did get some value.

If I’m going north from New Jersey to Connecticut, I take business class so I don’t have to go through car after car in coach looking for a seat and carrying my suitcase and cane while being thrown around as we go along rough tracks going out of the station. Unfortunately, my NJ boarding station is between Philly and New York, so it’s usually crowded til New York, where a lot of people leave.

Coming back from Connecticut, coach is fine—plenty of seats.

Back