Amtrak Calling

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
Got a call this morning from Amtrak, a first. A pleasant lady wanted to let me know about a schedule change for a trip that's over a month away. Only a measly 30-minute change in arrival time, actually moving it forward, but I thought it was nice to be informed.

Doesn't change my plans in any way, but I wonder how many others here have received similar calls, and how their plans have been affected as a result.

I've gotten a few calls from Amtrak in the past regarding changes. They aren't 100% perfect in that regard, but they actually do a pretty good job of trying to contact people about changes when they have the right info.

I have gotten a few calls over the years, include a call from Amtrak to apologize because my train was late.

When I was going to take the Tehachapi trip :D (I'm still gloating), as you know, I canceled :( :( due to the midwest flooding. One of trains was going to be the EB from PDX-CHI. I received a call from Amtrak concerning "... tomorrow's departure from PDX ..."

While I appreciate the call, I had already canceled the trip! :( . More surprising was that I received this call from Amtrak at HOME in RHODE ISLAND on my HOME PHONE LINE! :huh: And it regarded TOMORROW AFTERNOON'S DEPARTURE! :huh:

When I was going to take the Tehachapi trip :D (I'm still gloating), as you know, I canceled :( :( due to the midwest flooding. One of trains was going to be the EB from PDX-CHI. I received a call from Amtrak concerning "... tomorrow's departure from PDX ..."
While I appreciate the call, I had already canceled the trip! :( . More surprising was that I received this call from Amtrak at HOME in RHODE ISLAND on my HOME PHONE LINE! :huh: And it regarded TOMORROW AFTERNOON'S DEPARTURE! :huh:
Good news, the_traveler! There will be another Tehachapi trip later this fall, as far as UP is planning to do with one bridge replacement on Pacific route.

Good news, the_traveler! There will be another Tehachapi trip later this fall, as far as UP is planning to do with one bridge replacement on Pacific route.
I'd heard there would be one more this fall... hooray! Where are you getting your news about it, gswager? Is there a date posted (or a rough idea of what month this will be) yet?

When I was going to take the Tehachapi trip :D (I'm still gloating), as you know, I canceled :( :( due to the midwest flooding.
Is it going to be around Oct 10-12? :D (I can wish - can't I?)

Whooz gave me the link that he found. It's a travel agency that specialize in trains. It's somewhere in this forum.
Oh, well... then I definitely know which link you're talking about, since I gave it to Whooz :blush: Here it is again: this travel agency (looks like they own some private cars and help schedule other folks' private cars too) ran the varnish on train 14 and had an extremely detailed route guide posted shortly before that trip.

Scrolling way down on their main page, I find a link to the second Domes Over Tehachapi trip, which says "We have just been advised today [May 29] that the replacement of the railway bridge north of Santa Barbara has been postponed and will be rescheduled in late summer or early fall 2008. The railroad and Amtrak are saying that this is due to a delay in the shipment of the bridge materials needed to do this job. Once all of the materials are in place No. 14 and perhaps No. 11 will be detoured over Tehachapi. We will continue to post the latest updates on this website as we receive them."

It doesn't look like they've gotten any news since then. Presumably, they'll be somewhat quick at listing info about this as soon as they get it, since they want to make sure their private cars are sold out.

For what it's worth (and it may not be worth much), in the long list of upcoming events, they've located Domes Over Tehachapi (date uncertain) amidst tours with dates in mid-September. I'm sure that's just their best guess, and I don't know how good anyone can be about guessing at this sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe all of the Gathering participants will luck out, and discover the next Tehachapi detour is right on the weekend of the Gathering!
But if it happens to be Sunday, everyone would be "forced" :) to stay another day or 2 and/or have to change their return reservation! Who would want to do that? :lol:
We can board at either LAX or Bakersfield (by using bus on either way) on Coast Starlight. That'll work out good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back