Amtrak cancelled our trip today!!!!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
I am so bummed right now. Should be leaving on a train from Bloomington, IL to San Antonio in four minutes. I am been worrying about the weather driving to Bloomington for a couple weeks now. So we drive there this morning and plan to hang out at the mall for a while. Was there about a half hour and get a automated call from Amtrak that our train is cancelled with no options today due to service problems. I call back to confirm and waited over fifteen minutes to get a human voice. She told me that due to the storms down south that there was many trees on the tracks. Wanted to know if I wanted to cancel. Duh. What was my choice? I asked her where else we could go out of Bloomington and she said north or Chicago or St. Louis. That was about it. So we cancelled it. Didn't ask about any other times since we are on a Christmas break and wouldn't have enough time to enjoy San Antonio.

I know - act of God but I am bummed.

Yes, it is frustrating but I would still rather take Amtrak than sit at the airport for 3 or 4 days hoping to get out. And yes, it would have been better if you had more advance notice, but how about if you were on the train and got to Poplar Bluff or Little Rock and they annulled the train with no alternative transportation? :blush: Would you have liked that better?

Wifey and her pal spent a couple of days in Poplar Bluff and they throughly enjoy themselves ^_^

I know how you feel Gingee.

Back in September, I got the call that 58 out of NOL had been cancelled due to the Hurricane, but luckily I had an option of taking the Crescent, so it worked out for me.

Im sorry that it didnt work out for you though. I hope your next trip goes off without a problem.

Well I have to wait until summer until we can go again:( Oh well, maybe we will redecorate with the refund money.

I know you were on a timeline but I would have gotten creative and seen if they could have worked me a roundabout way getting to Chicago, then Washington or NYC, then NOL and finally on over to SAS via the back door. Now getting Sleeper all the through may have been another issue.

:( Sorry yall missed your Trip! As I mentioned in my Post re the Service Disruption of #21/#22, Flooding is pretty Common in the Hills above LRK but being Snowed out on the Eagle is Rare! :eek: Hope you noticed the Post about American Airlines Pax sitting on the Planes @ DFW for Hours and today there still Hundreds of Cancellations and Flite Delays! Hopefully you will get in a Trip before Summer (Spring Break???) I totally understand why you wouldnt ant to go back to STL if youve been there Many Times, but you wouldnt need a Car, the Light rail System and Busses work pretty well there, we enjoyed STL for the Gathering 2 years ago!

Better Luck Next time, these weather Changes are causing Problems Everywhere, not just in the Great White North! ;)

Sorry to hear your trip was cancelled! And see, I am taking that train tomorrow, so I looked on their site to check for travel delays and abso,utely no mention of any problems on the Texas Eagle was mentioned. Hmmmm. Not too impressed with Amtrak right now.

So sorry, Gingee! That's so disappointing after the planning and anticipation. I have no words of wisdom regarding the pros and cons of being stuck in Poplar Bluff, or how much better trains are than airlines. Just "Sorry"!

I just went into status of the train today and it shows service disruption. Then put in tomorrow's date and it says sold out. Guess I couldn't have gone tomorrow either. I will be curious to see if everything goes okay tomorrow.

I am so bummed right now. Should be leaving on a train from Bloomington, IL to San Antonio in four minutes. I am been worrying about the weather driving to Bloomington for a couple weeks now. So we drive there this morning and plan to hang out at the mall for a while. Was there about a half hour and get a automated call from Amtrak that our train is cancelled with no options today due to service problems.
Sorry to hear that. I'd be really bummed too. Hopefully you'll have another chance to come visit San Antonio soon.

Yes, it is frustrating but I would still rather take Amtrak than sit at the airport for 3 or 4 days hoping to get out. And yes, it would have been better if you had more advance notice, but how about if you were on the train and got to Poplar Bluff or Little Rock and they annulled the train with no alternative transportation? cid:194DEA57-56FA-498B-BE93-0F277066252B Would you have liked that better?
In my experience 3-4 day delays at airports are pretty rare. After literally hundreds of flights over the last three decades I've only been delayed at most a single day. Twice.

I know you were on a timeline but I would have gotten creative and seen if they could have worked me a roundabout way getting to Chicago, then Washington or NYC, then NOL and finally on over to SAS via the back door. Now getting Sleeper all the through may have been another issue.
That's fine if you don't actually want to spend any time in your destination city, but I think the OP wanted to do some exploring while they were here.

Sorry to hear your trip was cancelled! And see, I am taking that train tomorrow, so I looked on their site to check for travel delays and abso,utely no mention of any problems on the Texas Eagle was mentioned. Hmmmm. Not too impressed with Amtrak right now.
Maybe there was no way to know earlier, but it would be nice to get a call that a serious disruption is likely and then another confirmation once the final decision has been made.

Flooding is pretty Common in the Hills above LRK but being Snowed out on the Eagle is Rare!
Rare is a relative thing. How many formerly "rare" weather events have become more and more common in recent years? Seems like things are changing all over, and quickly.

I wonder what the update is today? Too late for our trip. Yes we had limited time there. Due to come back Monday morning and get in Bloomington Tuesday morning.

In years past, airlines had numerous flights, but they have been slowly discontuning flight. Now there is much less choice to rebook passengers onto other flights, especially with many of the flights now 80-90% full! I suppose if you're an elite flyer, you go to the head of the line. But if you're a peon with no status (grandma flies one time a year to see the grand kids), you're at the back of the line.

During one such cancellation at IIRC JFK in the last year or two, there was a news report where they interviewed a stranded passenger (and family I think), who said they could not get "the next available seat" until "next week"! And they had to stay in the terminal because they did not plan for an extra week of "vacation" and had no extra money! :eek:

In years past, airlines had numerous flights, but they have been slowly discontuning flight. Now there is much less choice to rebook passengers onto other flights, especially with many of the flights now 80-90% full! I suppose if you're an elite flyer, you go to the head of the line. But if you're a peon with no status (grandma flies one time a year to see the grand kids), you're at the back of the line.

During one such cancellation at IIRC JFK in the last year or two, there was a news report where they interviewed a stranded passenger (and family I think), who said they could not get "the next available seat" until "next week"! And they had to stay in the terminal because they did not plan for an extra week of "vacation" and had no extra money! :eek:
I remember that interview, it was big talk on another travel forum. They were in Salt Lake CIty- Turns out, they were on a Space A ticket. A family member gave them a pass, to be used on a Space Available basis. No Space, no availability. Turns out, not buying a ticket, going on a trip with no cash reserve, or backup plan if the pass wasn't able to be used due to flights full of paying passengers turned out to not be a great idea. Go figure. You can read about it here: http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1142831

I travel nearly every other week by plane, and only a few times a year by train.....In all that travel, I have had 3 trains cancel on me in the last 4 years leaving me stuck, or with an option to go the next day....in coach (Not happening on an overnight trip....). In contrast, I only got stuck in Chicago overnight, once when flying. My ratio of blown trips, especially if you use a milage factor, highly favors air travel over rail during periods of significant weather. Spent the night at the airport hotel, and got out the next morning. As is sometimes the case, the OP would probably have been better of if she DID have a plane ticket. Chances are good she could have made the trip as planned. (though, as for most of us here, the travel IS the reason for the trip a lot of the time....)

The familiar phrase "when everyone else is stuck, the trains will be moving" has definetely NOT been the case for me, and, apparently many others too. It probably was true in the 50s-70's, when air travel was still in it's relative infancy, but now they can land with near 0 visibility, ground radar allows movements on the ground in near whiteout conditions, airports are generally more prepared, and railroads are definetely NOT as prepared as they had been in years past, when they had a vested interest in ensuring their crack passenger trains made the schedule. Just my opinion, but rail is, in my experience, much more susceptible to weather problems than air travel is, in this age. If I NEED to be somewhere, I fly. If I don't really care when I get there, or if it cancels, I'll take the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought--I took the City of New Orleans then rented a car and drove to San Antonio this fall. That might be an option in the future. It was about a 7 hour drive on I-10, but it is a straight shot from NOLA to San Antonio.

I thought about the NOLA to San Antonio but sleepers were sold out and then it was a fifteen hour train ride.

Why couldn't they run a rail replacement bus either side of the obstruction? Trees on the line are a localised problem, so unless it's one that will be fixed in the time it takes to bus people to where a train can pick the passengers up for onward travel, or there's a wider problem (e.g. the roads are also blocked) there doesn't seem to be an excuse for abandoning passengers. Are they that short of rolling stock that they couldn't run a stub train either side of the blockage?

Also, if practical, could they not run the train by a diversionary route (possibly a route that's normally freight-only) and only run a bus for the stops missed? I suppose that sometimes the bus to pick passengers up from each station would have to be earlier than the train would be, which is undesirable for a short-notice disruption, but it's better than telling everyone to come back tomorrow. OK this is a UK example, but I've been on a train that had to divert via Manchester between Wigan and Crewe due to a fatality just south of Wigan North Western station blocking the main line. This did delay me (going to Crewe to change to a train to South Wales) by about an hour, and presumably passengers for Warrington were further delayed, but it's better than kicking everyone off and telling them to come back later or tomorrow.

One would think Amtrak would do something similar, if only because if they don't then there'll soon be a crowd of very angry passengers causing a safety hazard in and outside the station.

Gingee, sorry about your trip being cancelled. Unless you're really into hot weather, you may want to rethink coming here in the summer. It's hotter than H E double toothpicks here for most of the summer. Spring break could be nice. Or not. At least it's better than summer. :wacko:

Guest Simon, I've been online with a friend in Little Rock and they've been hit very hard with snow and especially ice. Power is out in many locations. Her power may not be restored until Tuesday and apparently the streets are skating rinks. There are numerous trees down. I'm not sure I'd want to be traveling on the roads through there right now.

Oh Amy we aren't coming to Texas in the summer. We have another destination.

The 11-26-12 cancellation of the southbound Texas Eagle and handling of the cancellation was a fiasco.

Here's where I fault Amtrak: I was not informed of the cancellation until around four hours before our scheduled departure time from Springfield IL, even though Amtrak knew or should have known that this train would be cancelled long before then. Amtrak would not tell me of the specific reason for the cancellation, and only mentioned winter storms and tornados. Actually the northbound Texas Eagle struck a tree that had fallen on the tracks during a storm in Arkansas. I was fortunate to book a flight on Southwest from St. Louis on that date to return to Dallas. Amtrak refunded me the return trip fare for the cancelled trip, but refuses to refund me the $38 difference between the fare on Southwest and the refunded fare, which does not even include mileage to get to St. Louis or dinner which I was to receive as part of my sleeping car accommodation. Further, Amtrak has not apologized to me for this situation.

Here's where I fault Union Pacific: If indeed the cancellation involved fallen trees on the tracks in Arkansas, then why did UP fail to cut trees to avert such a problem? UP and its predecessor for that trackage, Missouri Pacific, certainly had the capability at some point since the construction of this trackage in the late 1800s to acquire sufficient land to maintain a clear right of way. UP is paid to provide access for Amtrak trains, not merely to make minimal efforts in providing access. Action should be taken against UP for failing to properly maintain the right of way on the Texas Eagle route in Arkansas.

I began riding long distance passenger trains in 1963, and often rode around Christmas from South Dakota and Iowa to Chicago in winter storms, yet never had any cancellations or serious delays. How is it that Amtrak and private railroads now claim to be unable to provide service in adverse winter storm conditions? And how is it that Southwest was able to fly us back to Dallas when Amtrak couldn’t get us back? Does Amtrak not understand that a primary reason for travelling by train as opposed to flying or driving is to be able to make the trip despite adverse winter weather conditions?

Our Christmas trip from Dallas to Springfield IL was my girlfriend's first overnight train trip. The northbound trip was very nice, but the abrupt cancellation of the southbound trip makes her reluctant to travel on Amtrak for any long distance. Why should we have any confidence that something like this will not happen again? And why should we tolerate this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back