Amtrak Cancels evening service on the NEC NYP-BOS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I heard recently that the leaf will be sold with the battery for approximately $40,000. There is a charging station that has been publicized in my area that will allow people to charge for free and they had one there amidst some fanfare.

Personally, I would not pay $40,000 for a nissan leaf, at least not a first generation one.

Well one more good thing that came out of the sudden change in plans is that I got a very quick visit with AU member Chris (aka diestledorf). Turns out he was transferring from the Capitol to a Regional train and was in the Club Acela at the same time we were. We didn't get too much time to talk, as just after we realized that we were both there, the redcap came to take him to his Regional train. That didn't do him too much good, since the Acela still left first. :lol:

Chris got out to his train first, but we still beat him in the race northbound! :lol:

There is a charging station that has been publicized in my area that will allow people to charge for free...
Excellent! This must be either to encourage using Electric Transportation, or to encourage Private Automobiles.

If it is Electric Transportation they are encouraging, they should give us all free passes to ride on Amtrak's NEC.

If instead they like the "Leaf" because it is a private Automobile, then they can just offer Free Gasoline to the rest of us. Fair is fair, it seems to me.

There is a charging station that has been publicized in my area that will allow people to charge for free...
Excellent! This must be either to encourage using Electric Transportation, or to encourage Private Automobiles.

If it is Electric Transportation they are encouraging, they should give us all free passes to ride on Amtrak's NEC.

If instead they like the "Leaf" because it is a private Automobile, then they can just offer Free Gasoline to the rest of us. Fair is fair, it seems to me.
I like your attitude. I will say that the charging station that has been installed is at a large furniture store, was paid for with private funding (furniture store funding), and it mostly seems to be a publicity stunt, although the governor did attend the ribbon cutting and they did have a nissan leaf there for demonstrations. But its a small state....so pretty much the governor goes to anything interesting.

They said on the news that they hope to have at least 30 of these stations throughout RI. For now, the one station is free but that eventually it will cost money to use it. Who knows when that will be.

Amamba said "But its a small state....so pretty much the governor goes to anything interesting. "

I come from a large state, Illinois, our governors must think prison is interesting.

mosking.gif
help.gif
mosking.gif

I heard that when the tree came down it caught fire from the overhead wires.
That's true. The leakage current from a tree hitting the catenary is not enough to trip the circuit, so the lines will arc to the tree and keep arcing. The Amtrak catenary wires are copper and bronze, so it is just a matter of time for the heat to melt the wires and fail the catenary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back