Amtrak Clocker Train Route.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak Railfan said:
Hello there can somebody please tell me all about the Amtrak Train Route Clocker please?
Can you be a little more specific about what you want to know? :)

Ok can somebody please give me info on the Amtrak Train Route Clocker please from New York NY to Philadelphia PA please. Thank you. :D

It's still a vague question. Clockers only run from Philly to New York. What specifically do you want to know, equipment, schedules...?

They use an AEM-7 or HHP-8 locomotive for power and about 10-12 Amfleet I Coaches. There are 2-3 trains during rush hour weekdays. In a couple of years NJ Transit is suposed to take over the Clocker service and use newly built bi-level cars for increased capcity and shorter trains.

Because it's mainly a rush hour only service, so it's for people who go to work and watch the clock and live and work by the clock.

Because it's mainly a rush hour only service, so it's for people who go to work and watch the clock and live and work by the clock.
It was said back in the days of the PRR that you could set your watch by the Clockers because they were always on time.
Where does Amtrak Clocker makes Stops at?
Pick up a timetable or go to Amtrak's website to view one on-line.

The "Clocker" name hails back to the heyday of the Pennsylvania Railroad, when there were trains leaving Broad Street Station in Center City Philadelphia every hour on the hour between about 4AM and 9PM. They were called "Clockers" and the name has lasted into the Amtrak era, even though the scheduled departures of these trains are far fewer today.

Generally, in today's scheme of things, the Clockers are basically Amtrak commuter trains operating into NY in the morning and back to Philly in the evening.

My office is located next to the NE Corridor in Newark, NJ.

This morning while walking from my car to my office a northbound clocker passed with a NJT ALP-46 and 11 Amfleet Coaches.

That seems to be the standard consist I see everymorning.

Right after the clocker passed. The South/Westbound Palmetto passed.

What a great place to work where I can watch trains all day. :D

When we were pulling into Penn Station on #94 last week, a Clocker consist pulled in on the opposite track with an ALP-46 and 12 Amfleet Coaches. I was quite surprised that the ALP-46 was being used by Amtrak and thought it may have been on there for NJ Transit testing or something. I didn't know this is a regular occurance now. Is there some sort of lease between Amtrak and NJ Transit for these locomotives?

No, there's no real lease that I'm aware of. This is most likely, simply the first step in NJT's assuming control of the Clockers. They eventually will no longer be Amtrak trains, but NJT trains instead.

Additionally, I believe that NJT already pays Amtrak to operate the Clockers, otherwise Amtrak would have dropped the Clockers. So they would just have to pay Amtrak less, if they use one of the NJT locos.

Sort of wierd to see, but it does look cool. It'll be interesting to see NJT run Clockers, but aren't they only going to Trenton, and layover in Morrisville?

Most likely ex-pennsy P-70 cars or Congressional coaches, aka non HEP heritage coaches.

P40Power said:
Most likely ex-pennsy P-70 cars or Congressional coaches, aka non HEP heritage coaches.
Keep in mind that the term "Heritage Fleet" did not begin to be used till these cars received HEP in the '80s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back