Amtrak "Contest" to Win Free Amtrak Trips (Beware of scam)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
Just made aware of an online contest in which the winner will receive an Amtrak card? for free trips for a year. Believe this to be a scam designed to get people to sign up for a gaming program. On Facebook it looks somewhat legit until you read the fine print. You will be billed $49. per month as an initial $1 membership. Not sure if Amtrak is going after this group? Anyone else received this offer via Facebook? Beware

That scam has been going on for a while. Seemed to die down a bit, but started popping up again recently. Only thing you can (should) do is keep reporting it to facebook as a scam, and maybe their bots will eventually discover the pattern that filters it out better.

One problem with these is that they keep popping up under different names, so it’s not just one FB account that can be banned.

That was going on a few months ago on FB - several similiar posts with official looking photos. I tried posting about it here but, the post was removed.
The comments from happy "customers" are just as bogus as the post itself.
Yep. I browsed through a few comments before posting. Half the comments had the exact same picture of their "Amtrak card."

I remember seeing those on FB with the European looking trainsets photoshopped with the Amtrak logo. That was already a tipoff that this was not legit.
On the latest one I saw on FB today they at least went to the trouble to get a real Amtrak train picture :rolleyes:

Back