Amtrak Derailment Philadelphia (5/12/2015)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ones that won't cost too much probably will be returning to service, eventually...

If you look over past wrecks there are cases where the hardware was returned to service rather early and other times when it was held so long as to be operationally irrelevant. So far as I am aware it's up to the judge to rule how critical physical hardware is to future legal proceedings based on the claims of the litigants. Holding of hardware that is outdated or is damaged beyond economical repair is unlikely to be challenged while hardware that is in high demand and could be returned to service relatively quickly may be granted a hearing to determine future legal relevance. If and when such a hearing occurs and when the judge comes to any sort of conclusion are anyone's guess.

There's been a "don't cite me" source saying the cause was radio distraction with the reports of rock throwing.http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/16/politics/amtrak-188-derailment-engineer-distracted/
Someone always has to be "that guy" who will start the talking before the official word is out.. Why can't people like this keep their mouth shut and let the actual investigators do the talking?
If I were to guess, it was probably done on someone's orders.

I noticed the NTSB also expressed concern about the Emergency Windows; it seems they indicated several pax were tossed through them during the derailment. It makes me wonder how often Amtrak removes those windows, cleans and inspects the mounts and replaces the gaskets.

... they indicated several pax were tossed through the [Emergency Windows] during the derailment. It makes me wonder how often Amtrak removes those windows, cleans and inspects the mounts and replaces the gaskets.
Reminds me that I am prevented from the peace of mind of fastening my seat belt when on Amtrak.

I'm not saying they should require you to use a seat belt.

I'm saying I want to use a seat belt but cannot. And I think that's wrong.

Now that the NTSB has completed its investigation, and they say that engineer Bostian was distracted by the radio conversations, is it determined whether he'll face imprisonment/criminal charges or if those charges will be dropped?

And is it likely that he'll ever run trains again?

Now that the NTSB has completed its investigation, and they say that engineer Bostian was distracted by the radio conversations, is it determined whether he'll face imprisonment/criminal charges or if those charges will be dropped?

Who says the investigation is complete? The NTSB is just now having it's meeting. What we've been hearing so far is unofficial.

STOP!!

You are wrong all over here...

The investigation is wrapping up.. I'm currently watching the news conference on my laptop. They are currently determining what the likely cause is.

Second you imply that he is already facing criminal charges. He is NOT. That is up to I believe either the Philadelphia DA or a federal DA..

As for your question to if he'll work for the railroad again... Think about it..

Who says the investigation is complete? The NTSB is just now having it's meeting. What we've been hearing so far is unofficial.
Oh. I thought I heard that it was complete in this CNN article. I must've misheard it.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/16/politics/amtrak-188-derailment-engineer-distracted/

The CNN article was dated yesterday evening, and the NTSB is/was meeting this morning. Even if CNN's story is correct, it's just another example of the media trying to be first with the story instead of waiting for official word. Probably always part of the news media through the past decades, but getting more so now when everyone has to have everything immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an article dated today:

Human Error and High Speed Blamed for Deadly Philadelphia Amtrak Crash

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/amtrak-crash/human-error-blame-deadly-philadelphia-amtrak-crash-n575341

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/05/17/investigators-amtrak-engineer-distracted-fatal-crash/84486836/

The Amtrak train wasn't hit by rocks or bullets, investigators said.

The board voted 3-1 that the probable cause of the accident was because the engineer accelerated to 106 mph “due to his loss of situational awareness likely because his attention was diverted to an emergency situation with another train."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back