Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The specifics of letting coach passengers in the diner will be telling if they are serious or not about it. I think the current prices they are charging business class passengers on the Coast Starlight are a non starter. Like any business you have to know your audience. Those prices may be ok to business class passengers since they are already willing to pay a premium for a quiet car and more space. As far as the typical coach passenger I don’t see it happening.

At the minimum I hope they bring back the popular blue plate special to eat at your seat. I think that would check all the boxes. 15-20 bucks for a hot meal and a bottle of water to go. It’s not out of the box thinking it’s what they used to do.
THE REMAINING RESERVATIONS at each seating are what will be offered to coach - which may just be a few in total. In 2018 non-sleeper passengers using the dining car used a MENU THAT WAS PRICED.

But as a coach passenger I’ll pay whatever for dining CS access.

THE REMAINING RESERVATIONS at each seating are what will be offered to coach - which may just be a few in total. In 2018 non-sleeper passengers using the dining car used a MENU THAT WAS PRICED.

But as a coach passenger I’ll pay whatever for dining CS access.
Uh, that's the way it was before Flex Dining. I remember one coach trip I took on the Silver Star around 2010, a packed train (it was President's Day weekend), and no dinner in the diner for me, I had to settle for a microwaved pizza in the cafe car. A fellow coach passenger was so annoyed that he had words with the conductor that resulted in him and his family being put off the train somewhere in Southside Virginia (not at a station stop, I recall flashing blue and red lights of a vehicle parked by the tracks when we made the unscheduled stop.) On the other hand, I had no problem getting a table for breakfast in the dining car.

Uh, that's the way it was before Flex Dining. I remember one coach trip I took on the Silver Star around 2010, a packed train (it was President's Day weekend), and no dinner in the diner for me, I had to settle for a microwaved pizza in the cafe car. A fellow coach passenger was so annoyed that he had words with the conductor that resulted in him and his family being put off the train somewhere in Southside Virginia (not at a station stop, I recall flashing blue and red lights of a vehicle parked by the tracks when we made the unscheduled stop.) On the other hand, I had no problem getting a table for breakfast in the dining car.
Breakfast the trick is to go early. That works better even when you are in Sleeper.

The specifics of letting coach passengers in the diner will be telling if they are serious or not about it. I think the current prices they are charging business class passengers on the Coast Starlight are a non starter. Like any business you have to know your audience. Those prices may be ok to business class passengers since they are already willing to pay a premium for a quiet car and more space. As far as the typical coach passenger I don’t see it happening.

At the minimum I hope they bring back the popular blue plate special to eat at your seat. I think that would check all the boxes. 15-20 bucks for a hot meal and a bottle of water to go. It’s not out of the box thinking it’s what they used to do.
I would be absolutely shocked if they go back to priced menus. I suspect it will be the same deal as on the Starlight. With what restaurants cost these days with inflation in my opinion the prices are not outrageous - it is being served on a train after all. Back in the a la carte days if you actually ordered what the $45 dinner comes with the price would have been right around the same especially if one got a steak. I don't think the dining car meals need to be excessively subsidized and have no problem if they charge something that's somewhat cost based - $60 would be excessive but I think $45 for entree, appetizer, dessert, unlimited soft drinks, and an alcoholic beverage is not unreasonable. The cafe remains available for the budget traveler who wants a la carte - I 100% support coach access but I don't think people are necessarily entitled to a cheap meal in the diner. From the sounds of it they got a fairly good take in Business on the Starlight and I'm sure they'll get people from coach. Perhaps they will offer an option to save some by not having a beverage or a dessert but I wouldn't count on it.

I agree with the Posters who think Amtrak should return to the Special Meals for Coach Passengers that were a set Price ( the Fried Chicken Dinner on the Sunset Ltd was especially Good!/the time I had it it was $22))and served @ the Coach Passengers Seat by the Coach Attendant.

Breakfast has always been the Best Deal in the Diner in most people's opinion.

I'm of the mind that $45 is a little Pricey for Coach Passengers for Dinner(and also feel that the Offerings in the Cafe need to be Healthier and Tastier)YMMV

The new cafe menu does seem like it's a bit of an improvement with salads and sandwiches once again available. I haven't actually tried one of them just yet to be able to actually say how much better it is.

I am on a budget but not so when it comes to food. A prix fixe of $20, $35 and $45 would be what I’d pay, and I don’t drink alcoholic beverages.

The blue corn tamale (below) went well with the creamy Mac and cheese. After opening the corn husk I fluffed up the tamale a bit for presentation

I think the taste (between a burrito and Turku stuffing) is out of the park and vegan too. Also out of the park was the crunchy Asia salad - a zillion veggies and crunchy Chinese noodles. This pairs well with the Tamale (10/10), Mac & Cheese (8/10) and the Asia Salad (10/10) total is about $20 or so.99EDCC81-BA2D-459E-80B5-9AE6B1FC5E68.jpeg3EC97163-74D9-412E-8B5E-DA46F91C1F0A.jpeg

I guess they gave up on trying to hire outside chefs.
Finally came to their senses...what skilled chef would want to be away from home for days at a time just to reheat most of the meals served with very little room for creativity?

If someone was willing to be away from home, I'd imagine working on a cruise or other type of ship would be much more appealing.

Finally came to their senses...what skilled chef would want to be away from home for days at a time just to reheat most of the meals served with very little room for creativity?

If someone was willing to be away from home, I'd imagine working on a cruise or other type of ship would be much more appealing.
There’s no room for creativity for the majority of cooks / chefs working in any market.

Amtrak pays chef / cooks way more than similar jobs on land and I’m certain they pay more than the majority of cruise ship jobs.

There’s no room for creativity for the majority of cooks / chefs working in any market.

Amtrak pays chef / cooks way more than similar jobs on land and I’m certain they pay more than the majority of cruise ship jobs.
Pretty much - the issue Amtrak is going to have with OBS positions on LD trains is work-life balance - not the way in which food is prepared. Most people are just looking to make a living.

At 72, I remember how dining cars were managed and the pricing. On trains like the Super Chief and Florida Special the pricing was top end, but so was the product. The Empire Builder had a "Ranch Car" with lower prices for coach. I remember a tale from a Super Chief Dining Car Steward, long since deceased, when the crew fed 350 from a car that seated 36 at one time. They all got great service and great food. To this day, I do not know how.

Pretty much - the issue Amtrak is going to have with OBS positions on LD trains is work-life balance - not the way in which food is prepared. Most people are just looking to make a living.
Which is why Amtrak pays significantly more than a land based restaurant.

If you can make it work, it’s actually a pretty good gig with so many days on and so many days off depending on the route. The big deal for many is you have let Amtrak make your life schedule, you can’t take off for holidays / special events.

I don’t think Cross-training LSA’s isn’t a good idea unless they are only going to be making the re-heated items. Cooking eggs, omelettes, steaks, fish, etc. should really be left to those with a background in a commercial kitchen.

At 72, I remember how dining cars were managed and the pricing. On trains like the Super Chief and Florida Special the pricing was top end, but so was the product. The Empire Builder had a "Ranch Car" with lower prices for coach. I remember a tale from a Super Chief Dining Car Steward, long since deceased, when the crew fed 350 from a car that seated 36 at one time. They all got great service and great food. To this day, I do not know how.
JWM. Sounds as if we may have similar memories. I am 75 and 375,000 rail miles--and would love to be in the Florida Special (or even the Silver Comet) dining car right now. Remember writing your own dining car order on the dining car check???

JWM. Sounds as if we may have similar memories. I am 75 and 375,000 rail miles--and would love to be in the Florida Special (or even the Silver Comet) dining car right now. Remember writing your own dining car order on the dining car check.
Sometimes they even sharpened the pencils they gave you! In the 1960's I traveled a lot on the "South Wind" between Indianapolis and West Palm Beach. Winter brought a dome sleeping car from the "North Coast Limited" with four duplex single rooms under the dome. They were great for this kid going off to boarding school. Also, the PRR twin-unit dining car made a great hamburger with fries and, are you ready, Grey Poupon. Somehow, airline food never impressed me as much.

That’s a huge issue that seems to be mostly ignored at Amtrak. The diner could do so much more if hours were extended or coach passengers could order food to go at a slight discount as I talked about earlier.

That’s a huge issue that seems to be mostly ignored at Amtrak. The diner could do so much more if hours were extended or coach passengers could order food to go at a slight discount as I talked about earlier.
It’s worse than ignored by Amtrak. Amtrak tried the “at your seat” meals for coach and it was a success. They know it works. That’s why it’s so frustrating.

Riding the coast starlight this summer gave me hope that all is not lost… hopefully we can get real dining car service back on all LD trains in the next year or 2.

Regarding cost, the Northern Pacific "North Coast Limited", in 1962, had a three-course steak dinner that cost the equivalent of $44 today. Want wine, add it on. How many they served; I do not know. You could get a decent, unfancy meal in the "Travelers Rest" car for under half that.

Even though I missed the glory days of the plush dining cars of the 1930's-40's-50's (I didn't starting riding until the mid 1960's), it was still a great experience--it was a railroad dining car!!! And all was still good until recently. I still blame John Mica. I know he was defeated from his office in 2016
well before the current issues, but political issue movement are sometimes very slow to become significant, and Mica's politics + the arrival of COVID combined to create the "dining" issues that plague us today. Again, in my opinion.

A flat price for coach passengers ordering in the Diner would be a good way to go. Amtrak could even do an “upsell” program and have coach passengers pre-order their meals at time of ticket purchase. This has been LONG talked about, but it has never been implemented. Would add more efficiency to the overall program - particularly by reducing waste. Amtrak has to find a way to also “attract“ coach passengers back to the Diner as they were pretty much booted out prior to getting the official boot (e.g. high priced meals, low quality, etc.). There’s LOTS of possibilities here, Amtrak just needs to embrace a few and try and run with it!

I remember a tale from a Super Chief Dining Car Steward, long since deceased, when the crew fed 350 from a car that seated 36 at one time. They all got great service and great food. To this day, I do not know how.
IIRC, the 1951 version of the Super Chief typically carried around 7 or 8 sleepers, with an approximate capacity of 160 or so passengers. The 1951 version had a 48 seat diner, plus overflow capacity of 9-12 more in the adjacent car's "Turquoise Room". The Fred Harvey service diner had a steward, 6 waiters, a pantryman, a chef, a couple of assistant chefs, and a dishwasher.

So the staff to passenger ratio was much better than what Amtrak has to work with.

Amtrak chooses what it has to work with.
Actually Congress chooses the guardrails within which Amtrak has to work. Amtrak Board further restricts the space and hands it over to Amtrak Management. Then Amtrak Management gets to choose only within those guardrails.

Last edited:
And all was still good until recently.
Still good in the west! If you are in a sleeper.

If space is limited it actually does make sense to charge $45 or whatever for dinner and just let the coach passengers have the same deal as sleepers (appetizer, entree, dessert + 1 alcohol drink).

Amtrak chooses what it has to work with.
6 servers in a 48 seat diner sounds like way too many. They’d run into each other! The staffing out west works for the current demand (sleeper only).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back