Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true that Mica's anti-rail initiative started under Boardman but there is a significant and meaningful difference between sacrificing a handful of routes begrudgingly versus proudly degrading all Eastern trains and telling everyone it's an improvement.
Yeah, I think Boardman fought a delaying action trying to preserve the core of traditional dining. Things like Simplified Dining Service, which cut dining car staffing. Also, the final standardization of all menu offerings. To me he appeared to be doing all he could to preserve the service while cutting costs where ever they could be. Traditional dining degraded under those measures, but its essence was still there.

There is an essential difference between his approach and Anderson's embrace of just chucking it. Boardman was trying to use a scalpel. Anderson just wanted to swing an axe. And then trying to pass off crap as caviar, trying to convince everyone that "millennials" actually wanted packaged frankenfood sodium/fat bombs.

Last edited:
So true. The salmon on my less-than-stellar Silver Meteor trip in May 2023 was inedible also. This was also the trip with the surly and lazy SCA! So, it seems the formula is: Flex Menu + Surly Crew = Even Worse Than Normal Flex Meals
I’m glad I’m not the only one that felt that the salmon on my Meteor trip last week was BAD. I threw it away after 3 bites. Salmon, shrimp then rice.

Yeah, I think Boardman fought a delaying action trying to preserve the core of traditional dining. Things like Simplified Dining Service, which cut dining car staffing. Also, the final standardization of all menu offerings. To me he appeared to be doing all he could to preserve the service while cutting costs where ever they could be. Traditional dining degraded under those measures, but its essence was still there.

There is an essential difference between his approach and Anderson's embrace of just chucking it. Boardman was trying to use a scalpel. Anderson just wanted to swing an axe. And then trying to pass off crap as caviar, trying to convince everyone that "millennials" actually wanted packaged frankenfood sodium/fat bombs.
I don't really disagree with your post but I have to ask - at the end of the day was Boardman really that great a manager? He seemed to have good intentions and may have been a nice guy but good intentions aren't the whole story and the board seemed to have a major desire to replace him with private sector people like Moorman and later a hatchet man like Anderson. As obnoxious as hatchet men can be they are sometimes brought on by organizational issues often as an overcompensation by a board not happy with the direction things are going. Now some of that may have been politics given a red political situation at the time but how did the financials look when Boardman was around? Sometimes ineffective management leads to an organization overcompensating the other direction and going too much the opposite. Food for thought.

I don't really disagree with your post but I have to ask - at the end of the day was Boardman really that great a manager? He seemed to have good intentions and may have been a nice guy but good intentions aren't the whole story and the board seemed to have a major desire to replace him with private sector people like Moorman and later a hatchet man like Anderson. As obnoxious as hatchet men can be they are sometimes brought on by organizational issues often as an overcompensation by a board not happy with the direction things are going. Now some of that may have been politics given a red political situation at the time but how did the financials look when Boardman was around? Sometimes ineffective management leads to an organization overcompensating the other direction and going too much the opposite. Food for thought.
I don't think Amtrak ever had really effective management except for Claytor and Gunn.

That certainly includes the present clown car. Talk about ineffective! They appear to be unable to count serviceable cars, let alone keep them current with basic things like COTS brake inspections.

As to the Board, well, the the forum rules prevent me from expressing my genuine opinion. Suffice to say they are part of the problem.

Last edited:
We just downloaded Amtrak Long Distance menu 0822 which is posted on-line. When we compared it to LD menu 0621 that we downloaded two years ago, we noticed some changes. Gone is the GF (“gluten free”) identifier. I happen to be on a gluten free/wheat free/mostly dairy free diet and have to watch what I eat when I’m dining out. Knowing what items are GF comes in handy when I’m deciding what to order.

Also missing was the calorie count for each meal, which I seem to recall seeing on an earlier LD menu. (It’s not like we’re being extra conscientious about counting calories while on vacation but having this information does give us the choice to compare the calorie counts of the different items.)

The Dinner menu no longer offers a salad of mixed greens, or the gluten free flourless Chocolate Torte, both of which I probably would have ordered.

We found it particularly interesting that, of all the items listed on the menu, only the Atlantic salmon rated an “Amtrak’s Healthy Option” identifier.

Perhaps the printed menu available in the dining cars has this missing information.

Last edited:
We just downloaded Amtrak Long Distance menu 0822 which is posted on-line. When we compared it to LD menu 0621 that we downloaded two years ago, we noticed some changes. Gone is the GF (“gluten free”) identifier. I happen to be on a gluten free/wheat free/mostly dairy free diet and have to watch what I eat when I’m dining out. Knowing what items are GF comes in handy when I’m deciding what to order.

Also missing was the calorie count for each meal, which I seem to recall seeing on an earlier LD menu. (It’s not like we’re being extra conscientious about counting calories while on vacation but having this information does give us the choice to compare the calorie counts of the different items.)

The Dinner menu no longer offers a salad of mixed greens, or the gluten free flourless Chocolate Torte, both of which I probably would have ordered.

We found it particularly interesting that, of all the items listed on the menu, only the Atlantic salmon rated an “Amtrak’s Healthy Option” identifier.

Perhaps the printed menu available in the dining cars has this missing information.
Just took the train the SWC to the Starlight to the builder in Seattle they still have the salad I had 8 of them. Also the chocolate mousse torte cake is still very much on the menu.
I LOVE the Amtrak steak!
By the way Amtrak is taking in the gatbanzo s on the coach passengers eating in the diner. On the three trains all 3 meals had north of 25 plus coach passengers eating good move Amtrak. There were no shortage of food choices either.

Just took the train the SWC to the Starlight to the builder in Seattle they still have the salad I had 8 of them. Also the chocolate mousse torte cake is still very much on the menu.
I LOVE the Amtrak steak!
By the way Amtrak is taking in the gatbanzo s on the coach passengers eating in the diner. On the three trains all 3 meals had north of 25 plus coach passengers eating good move Amtrak. There were no shortage of food choices either.
Salad is listed as a choice among the Appetizers on the Western Trains TD Menu. For the Star it is not listed, I don;t know if that is new or not. The last time I traveled by the Star we were served a very nice salad with dinner. I have no recollection of whether it was listed in the menu anywhere.

Most of my travel in the past year has been via sleeper, but I know they've resumed serving coach passengers on a limited basis.
When I spoke to the LSA on the Empire Builder 2-3 months ago, they quoted the following prices:

$20 Breakfast
$25 Lunch
$45 Dinner

Has anyone had any experiences to share?

I'm sure a lot of it depends on how many extra meals exist after sleepers are accounted for, and the LSA never mentioned if those prices included dessert.

It would be nice to take advantage of the 20% rebate on food purchases with the AGR credit card.

Most of my travel in the past year has been via sleeper, but I know they've resumed serving coach passengers on a limited basis.
When I spoke to the LSA on the Empire Builder 2-3 months ago, they quoted the following prices:

$20 Breakfast
$25 Lunch
$45 Dinner

I'm sure a lot of it depends on how many extra meals exist after sleepers are accounted for, and the LSA never mentioned if those prices included dessert.

It would be nice to take advantage of the 20% rebate on food purchases with the AGR credit card.
Those are indeed the prices and it includes everything sleeper passengers get, including dessert, one alcoholic beverage at dinner and breakfast meats. All of which were separately priced under the old system.

No problem at all I've rode the SWC to starlight in SAC. And the builder in Seattle to Chi. They didn't turn away anyone at all. Had plenty of food and no rationing of steaks either. The diner credit card machine is fickle be prepared for cash in case. Just be ready to eat when first call happens for breakfast that is when you can reserve lunch and dinner reservations. Enjoy The food I sure did.

$20 Breakfast
$25 Lunch
$45 Dinner

Salad is listed as a choice among the Appetizers on the Western Trains TD Menu. For the Star it is not listed, I don;t know if that is new or not. The last time I traveled by the Star we were served a very nice salad with dinner. I have no recollection of whether it was listed in the menu anywhere.
Recently took the SL and did not see salad listed as an app. on the menu. Or is the SL not considered a Western train?

Recent scuttlebutt from a trip on the City of New Orleans: the traditional dining pilot program (currently in place on the Silvers) is rumored to come to the CONO in October. Plans are to allegedly staff superliner diners with a Chef downstairs and an LSA upstairs. We’ll see what ends up happening.

Is the Meteor back to traditional now? Amtrak's website is useless since when you attempt to book a ticket on either of the Silvers it shows both as flexible dining. The onboard dining page still says the Silvers are using flex, but the traditional page has a sample menu for the Silver Star.

Is the Meteor back to traditional now? Amtrak's website is useless since when you attempt to book a ticket on either of the Silvers it shows both as flexible dining. The onboard dining page still says the Silvers are using flex, but the traditional page has a sample menu for the Silver Star.

While I’m still kind of taking a break from posting figured I’d share this. According to numerous rumors and reports on a FB group that have been going on for a while Traditional Dining was due to return to the Meteor this weekend - and a first hand report from someone on today’s northbound 98 had lunch in the diner and confirmed it was traditional dining. So sounds like it’s back.

Recent scuttlebutt from a trip on the City of New Orleans: the traditional dining pilot program (currently in place on the Silvers) is rumored to come to the CONO in October. Plans are to allegedly staff superliner diners with a Chef downstairs and an LSA upstairs. We’ll see what ends up happening.
I’ll believe this when it actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back