Amtrak Fall Foliage trips out of Philly

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horizon cars. What are they like and what are they doing here.
They are like "Comet cars", except with Amfleet style seating and overhead racks....

I don't know what they are doing here....I thought they were assigned midwest corridor trains.....

We are heading to CLE to turn in some vouchers and will try to get our tickets for this mini-Gathering today. Will check to see if there is a different refund policy than the usual rules. We will be visiting relatives near Aberdeen, Md and probably would take a regional up to PHL that morning.

I got my ticket for it.
I learned that the train will have two Amfleet Food Service cars which will have drinks and non-perishable items. And of course the ticket price includes the box lunch mentioned earlier in this thread.

The passenger equipment is supposed to be Horizon cars.
Horizon cars? AFAIK, Amtrak does not even use Horizon cars in the east. They would have to dead head them in from Chicago, while dozens of Amfleets sit unused in at yards in the NEC with the reduced Saturday schedule. I'm not doubting what you heard, but I'm betting Amfleet.

We are heading to CLE to turn in some vouchers and will try to get our tickets for this mini-Gathering today. Will check to see if there is a different refund policy than the usual rules. We will be visiting relatives near Aberdeen, Md and probably would take a regional up to PHL that morning.
I just booked 162 which gets to PHL @ 8:16.

Still trying to decide if I want to do the 5:35 or 6:33 home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just booked 162 which gets to PHL @ 8:16.

Still trying to decide if I want to do the 5:35 or 6:33 home.
Hi Betty.We will probably be on the 162 going north and have to find out which trains stop in Aberdeen, Md on the southbound. It should be a fun day of training.

I got my ticket for it.

I learned that the train will have two Amfleet Food Service cars which will have drinks and non-perishable items. And of course the ticket price includes the box lunch mentioned earlier in this thread.

The passenger equipment is supposed to be Horizon cars.
Horizon cars? AFAIK, Amtrak does not even use Horizon cars in the east. They would have to dead head them in from Chicago, while dozens of Amfleets sit unused in at yards in the NEC with the reduced Saturday schedule. I'm not doubting what you heard, but I'm betting Amfleet.
Of course things could change between now and then. But I am told by a reliable source that the passenger cars will be Horizon on this trip as of today.

The Amtrak news release on the special Autumn Express train states Horizon coach cars will be used due to the "larger picture windows". Perhaps if the Autumn Express runs in future years and there are spare Viewliner II diner cars available, they could add one to the train to take in the view for extra cost lunch meals.

If this experiment generates enough revenue, Boston would be a logical city for a New England fall colors special train in early-mid October.

Text from the news release:

WILMINGTON – Amtrak invites passengers to experience the splendor of fall aboard the inaugural “Autumn Express.” Tickets are now on sale for this one-day-only special train, which departs from and returns to Philadelphia 30th Street Station on Saturday, Nov. 2, and affords scenic views of historic railroad sites throughout Delaware, Maryland and Pennsylvania.
The train will travel the Northeast Corridor to Perryville, Md., then make a rare trip up the historic Port Road Branch (usually off limits to passenger traffic) along the Susquehanna River, passing through Enola Yard, crossing the Shocks Mill and Rockville bridges before continuing over the Columbia Secondary and back to Philadelphia via Amtrak’s Keystone Corridor through scenic Lancaster County.

“This unique excursion is an exciting opportunity for passengers and a new venture for Amtrak,” explained DJ Stadtler, Amtrak vice president of operations. “In addition to exploring rare mileage, the ‘Autumn Express’ is a first of its kind charter train which we’ll test as a potential new revenue source for America’s Railroad.”

The train will consist of a P-42 locomotive, Horizon coach cars (with larger “picture” windows to take in the view) and café car. Tickets cost $89 for adults and are half-priced for children ages 2-15. All tickets include a boxed lunch and free souvenir tote bag emblazoned with the special “Autumn Express” inaugural logo. Other commemorative merchandise will be available for purchase aboard the train and special announcements will be made highlighting key landmarks along the route.

I just booked 162 which gets to PHL @ 8:16.Still trying to decide if I want to do the 5:35 or 6:33 home.
Hi Betty.We will probably be on the 162 going north and have to find out which trains stop in Aberdeen, Md on the southbound. It should be a fun day of training.
Just returned from CLE and talked to the agent there re: Philly Excursion. He was excited about it and hoped he might be off to ride the trip. The tickets are non-refundable and non transferable so we will risk losing the money if we cannot attend but will go with it anyway and hope for the best. Looks like NER 71 would be cutting it too close if the train were running late so will get tickets for NER #159 at 6:30 and have dinner near the station before we return to Aberdeen. Looking forward to seeing everyone in October and November. :p

How do the windows compare: Amfleet vs. Horizon.
Horizon car windows are larger than the Amfleet I windows.
Aren't the Horizon windows the same size as the Amfleet II windows? Bigger, but not by a lot. Amtrak probably does not have a bunch of Am IIs to spare, so the Horizons will be used.

I wonder how many tickets Amtrak will have to sell at $89 to break even on running the special train?

As of 11ish this morning with a little convincing from Charlie I booked myself a ticket on the train. So if anyone would like to meet up after the ride for drinks or dinner I'm all for it! :) It will be good to see some familiar faces again!

Steve

I wonder how many tickets Amtrak will have to sell at $89 to break even on running the special train?
There don't seem to be any worries about that, as most of AU seems to be going :)
Let's hope that it is a highly successful event for Amtrak, not only for the bottom line, but to encourage them to come up with some more creative trips like it in other places..... :)

Even if they "lose" money on it, it may be good for PR. I wonder how much cooperation they got with NS and what they need to pay to run on all the NS trackage. Maybe it was a trade or something.

Well considering NS' OCS has run from NJ to DC on Amtrak trackage twice in less then a month, and their are multiple oil and ethanol trains that run from Perryville to the Newark area that started running frequently about a year ago I would say NS and Amtrak made some type of deal. But keep in mind that NS crews will run the train on the Port Road and Columbia Secondary as Amtrak engineers aren't qualified on those tracks unless Amtrak will run a crew over the routes to qualify them. Not really a good way to spend money and time.

Well considering NS' OCS has run from NJ to DC on Amtrak trackage twice in less then a month, and their are multiple oil and ethanol trains that run from Perryville to the Newark area that started running frequently about a year ago I would say NS and Amtrak made some type of deal. But keep in mind that NS crews will run the train on the Port Road and Columbia Secondary as Amtrak engineers aren't qualified on those tracks unless Amtrak will run a crew over the routes to qualify them. Not really a good way to spend money and time.
Couldn't they just use the Amtrak crew with a NS pilot aboard while on the NS tracks?

Couldn't they just use the Amtrak crew with a NS pilot aboard while on the NS tracks?
Pilot?? :eek: Maybe an Engineer. :p I wanna say yes, but IINM the conductor must also be qualified. Someone might know more then me on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back