Amtrak Fall Foliage trips out of Philly

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to do this - hopefully tickets will hold out until next month. This month's fun budget is tapped.
Ryan: Having Kiddos in the Household tends to make the Money disappear Muy Rapido No?!!! Acela 150 will find this out when his Twins make their Appearance into the World! ;)

Edited: To ID the Correct Father! :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be on 121 out of Metropark to Philly on 2nd morning, in case anyone is heading south from the NY/NJ area that morning to Philly
That looks like the only reasonable option for me, unless I want to get up real early and catch the 3:15 AM 'Hound ....... :eek:

Assume the price is fixed, as they state a single fare in their promo, so won't be subject to "buckets". Now, if it sold out early on, would they consider adding coaches? Sure would be nice to tag the Ocean on.......one can dream.

DANG! Michigan vs. MSU that day.......decisions, decisions....

Assume the price is fixed, as they state a single fare in their promo, so won't be subject to "buckets". Now, if it sold out early on, would they consider adding coaches? Sure would be nice to tag the Ocean on.......one can dream..

No Ocean. It won;t work too well in Philadelphia 30th St.

Assume the price is fixed, as they state a single fare in their promo, so won't be subject to "buckets". Now, if it sold out early on, would they consider adding coaches? Sure would be nice to tag the Ocean on.......one can dream.

No Ocean. It won;t work too well in Philadelphia 30th St.
https://www.google.com/search?q=alaska+rr+double&hl=en-US&espv=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sboxchip=Images&sa=X&ei=EFsXUt3qE5PH4AOH3YHYDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C10%3Bd%7CzXt622vFmsVHoM%3A

I realize that JIS, but one can dream. At least Amtrak is using Horizon's, but a lot of people travel by rail for the scenery, (days gone by, it was also the food......) how about throwing Beach Grove on the tail! LOL

I realize that JIS, but one can dream. At least Amtrak is using Horizon's, but a lot of people travel by rail for the scenery, (days gone by, it was also the food......) how about throwing Beach Grove on the tail! LOL
Well if we are going to dream, why not a couple of open cars from Strasburg Railroad? :p

Well if we are going to dream, why not a couple of open cars from Strasburg Railroad? :p
Good idea jis, with all the AUers riding they will need a Car just for them to help protect the "Normal" Folks! ^_^ I like the idea of Beech Grove being in the Consist also, why just let it sit in the yard in WAS!!(especially when the_traveler's Penthouse will not be in the Consist! :giggle: )

I personally wonder why in the world they would run Horizons on such a run. If the windows are taller than Amfleet 1s, it is by no more than an inch. Furthermore, the seats do not line up as well with windows as on Amfleets, the windows are substantially shorter in length so they do not have as good views, and the brighter lighting makes it harder to look out. Interesting to ride them in the northeast, but don't see the attraction to running such equipment here.

It's been awhile......do the Horizon's have "dutch doors", or are they sliding doors like Amfleet? (Not that I would think about opening the top....) ;)

Horizon_Fleet_Car_passing_through_webster_groves.jpg
I found this photo in the Wiki arcticle.....looks like I answered my own question....they do have 'dutch doors'!

Now if the crew would be 'railfan friendly', I can see these cars having a big advantage over Amfleet with two open dutch doors per car, for photographer's....... :)

I found more photo's on the 'net....

amt53501.jpg

In this one, it appears that it is a sliding door....so who knows what will show up.....any Horizon 'authorities' out there? :huh:

I think all the coaches have dutch doors. I don't recall seeing any with one-piece doors.

I don't know if the dinettes have had their doors converted or not (most dinettes were converted into a club-dinette configuration, a couple have been retired, and the rest have gone for California conversion).

I seem to recall a policy that NS has that doesn't allow the dutch doors to be open except for crew members. They had an incident a number a years ago where there was an injury and that NS put the kibosh on it since then.

I am trying to figure out what the timing would be on this trip. I am still trying to decide if I want to ride or maybe just take some pictures. Here are some guess I have

Philadelphia, PA 9:00 AM

Perryville, MD 10:00 AM

Columbia, PA 11:15 AM

Enola, PA 12:15 PM

Harrisburg, PA 1:00 PM

Columbia, PA 2:15

Lancaster, PA 3:15

Philadelphia, PA 4:30

If I photograph, I catch it somewhere south of Columbia and try chasing it as far north as I can before it crosses the river. Then grab lunch, maybe catch it in north of Marietta, chase it south, and then catch it somewhere before Lancaster.

I suspect Amtrak is taking the opportunity to do something of a "Horizons on the East Coast" passenger-reaction test while they're doing this. Most informed speculation regarding fleet allocation has pointed to most of the Horizon fleet being unnecessary and unwanted in the Midwest starting in 2016 or so, and the logical place to move them is the east coast.

I am trying to figure out what the timing would be on this trip. I am still trying to decide if I want to ride or maybe just take some pictures. Here are some guess I have
Philadelphia, PA 9:00 AM

Perryville, MD 10:00 AM

Columbia, PA 11:15 AM

Enola, PA 12:15 PM

Harrisburg, PA 1:00 PM

Columbia, PA 2:15

Lancaster, PA 3:15

Philadelphia, PA 4:30

If I photograph, I catch it somewhere south of Columbia and try chasing it as far north as I can before it crosses the river. Then grab lunch, maybe catch it in north of Marietta, chase it south, and then catch it somewhere before Lancaster.
I was wondering if there will be a short "stretch your legs" or "smoke stop" when we get to Harrisburg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back