Amtrak in Alaska

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificStarlight

Train Attendant
Hello fellow AU members. this is something that we may or may not agree on. Amtrak needs service in alaska. I know that a railine up there cannot connect to the rest of the system, but we need amtrak there and now. Im not from alaska, so it wouldn't affect me directly to get that out of the way. But the point is, we are the people of the USA. If a bill just went into congress to privatize amtrak cafes, me, you, and all of us, (at least the people over 18) the rail traveling public impose a bill to bring rail service to parts of alaska or even other parts of the US, not currently served by Amtrak! It seems like a long goal, but it is reasonable! Go ahead and post your opinions away!
hi.gif

Like you stated, there is no way to connect with the rest of the country by rail, so what would be the point of Amtrak going there?

Besides Amtrak could only dream of having the kind of service that is currently offered by the Alaska RR, as well as the private car (cruiseline) operations it currently offers on its entire system.....

A amtrak train in Alaska could connect to the rest of the system. One possible way is to connect amtrak in Alaska to a via rail train which then terminates at Vancouvers P.C station and then you switch to the cascades.

Um, are you aware the Alaska Railroad provides passenger service? Are you suggesting Amtrak replace the Alaska Railroad service? Operate in addition to it? What would be the benefit of Amtrak service, as opposed to either continued or expanded Alaska Railroad service?

Also, what does this have to do with privatization of Amtrak food operations?

Um, are you aware the Alaska Railroad provides passenger service? Are you suggesting Amtrak replace the Alaska Railroad service? Operate in addition to it? What would be the benefit of Amtrak service, as opposed to either continued or expanded Alaska Railroad service?

Also, what does this have to do with privatization of Amtrak food operations?
It has to do with privatization, is, if a bill that senate imposes can change amtrak, can't a publicly imposed bill change amtrak as well.

The Alaska Railroad already provides passenger service over the majority of its routes. There's no need for Amtrak to take over this service.

Alaska Railroad service falls a bit short in the winter. Unless once a week is good for you.

I do understand the OP point, instead of the US federal funds going to support the Alaska Railroad and there passangers train operation, we should required the state to fund the operating loss. Like there doing down here in the lower 48. (Fact check need. I know they received funds in the past not sure about the last few years)

But yes it would be nice if that shine new airport train station was open and saw train year round not just in the summer.

Also can't wait for that communter service there talking about.

Edit for big fingers and small I-Phone

Last edited by a moderator:
AThe Alaska Railroad service is not bad, and as others have said, there is no need for amtrak to opertate there. Someone could dish out a huge amount of money to build a rail line from Fort Nelson, B.C. to Anchorage, AK.

Hahahahahahahaha

Not to be rude or anything, but I don't think I understand.

Um, the biggest problem with the original post is that the federal government transferred the Alaska Railroad to the state a number of years ago ... so any losses are subsidized by the Alaska state government. The feds have nothing to do with it anymore.

ARR advertises itself as the last "full-service railroad" and provides fine passenger service.

Keep Amtrak away! They are doing just fine on their own.

And the federal government transferred ownership to the State of Alaska in the late 1970's, IIRC. I know when I first rode in 1986 it had been out from under the feds for years.

Jeez. Buy a clue, pacificstarlight.

Um, the biggest problem with the original post is that the federal government transferred the Alaska Railroad to the state a number of years ago ... so any losses are subsidized by the Alaska state government. The feds have nothing to do with it anymore.
IIRC, the Alaska Railroad runs at an overall profit: They lose some money on the passenger services but turn a profit on freight services.

I'll agree that their winter service falls a bit short. Part of that is a function of the tourist market (or lack thereof): IIRC, the Alaska Railroad gets most of their business from tourists (either short-hop passengers on the routes around Anchorage or to/from Denali tourists). They have to maintain a several-days-a-week service on a shorter section around Anchorage, too, because you have an area with either bad or non-existent roads in the region.

However, I do have to wonder how reliable air service is in the area in the winter as well as how reliable the train service is. It's a shame that the state doesn't support daily service and/or that the Alaska Railroad doesn't use their pre-1960s overnight schedule...but I do understand the reasons in this case...but if I'm being honest, a 3-times-weekly train (that would only use one equipment set) would probably make more sense. It'd be better than once-weekly, at least.

As to the situation in general, however...the Alaska Railroad seems to handle things just fine. Let them keep doing so.

(An aside: How is the Alaska-Seattle ferry service?)

A amtrak train in Alaska could connect to the rest of the system. One possible way is to connect amtrak in Alaska to a via rail train which then terminates at Vancouvers P.C station and then you switch to the cascades.
It's a looooong way from Prince Rupert to Seward or Whittier........Even by Alaska State Ferry.......

Riding that train in the winter is definitely on my bucket list ... as is traveling up the Inside Passage on an Alaska State Ferry!

Riding that train in the winter is definitely on my bucket list ... as is traveling up the Inside Passage on an Alaska State Ferry!
When I was working for BP I had to go to Alaska on occasion(yeah, go ahead twist my arm, lol) and I would always try and work in a train trip. One year I had to go in March. I wanted to experience the once a week train in the winter snow. So I flew into Fairbanks on Saturday and took the train south that Sunday. It was one of my most memorable train experiences I have to say. Sunday morning was mild for Fairbanks, with temps in the teens and 20's with a light fluffy snow falling as I walked to the station from my hotel. The train is a short one of a baggage car, diner and coach or two. Only a few of us boarded in Fairbanks, so the conductor told us that after we got to the mountains we could go up to the baggage car and open the door and take all the pics we wanted, which we did. It was a winter wonderland. He then told us, when we got hungry to just go up to the diner and ask the cook to fix some lunch. It was very informal. We passed several freights on the way south and would detrain to watch them go by. After Denali, we started to pick up dog sled teams that had gone out for the weekend. They huddled in the baggage car with their dogs. Then at Matanuska we pretty much filled up the train with weekenders that had gone up Sat. If you have the chance to be in Alaska during the winter months I highly recommend this trip. But watch the forecast as it can be bitterly cold there.

The first time I rode the ARR was in late September of 1970. Prior to the tourist explosion from cruise ships, and prior to the completion of the Pipeline. The AuRoRa, was powered by some old F units, and the ancient rolling stock included some ex US Army hospital cars. One of them was a cafe-recreation car, that had a full sized juke-box, that was utilized by dancing college students enroute. A lot of fun. I need to search my archives for some snapshots I took during that memorable trip....

well i don't mean to be rude, but this idea seems fairly odd to me. as others have already pointed out, the ARR is already in place. there is also ample bus service. moreover, many alaskans live in coastal towns (juneau included) that are only accessed by, wait for it, boat or plane. so to put in a rail system where there aren't even roads seems a wee bit far-fetched. but hey, you get points for thinking outside the box! :D

In Trains magazine a few months ago, it stated that 98% of ARR's pax revenue comes from summer. I understand that the service can be sparse in winter, but sparse is fine in a state where the only population centers not in the SE are already served, and are not that big anyway.

At least as of 2010, that's not entirely true.

In 2010, the Fed provided no operating subsidies, but they did provide $6.3 Million in Capital dollars.

The 2011 data is not currently available yet, so I don't know what happened last year.

And the State actually provided nothing, what the revenue didn't cover in terms of operating expenses, was I believe covered by freight. The extra income is listed as freight, as opposed to local and/or State.

I'm in Alaska, our ARR is great the way it is, Alaskan hospitality at it's finest! This fall for my milestone birthday, my nieces took me from Anchorage-Seward on the train...it was a gorgeous trip, we had so much fun! Spent all day there, shopping, eating and wandering around and then back to Anchorage! I do love Amtrak, but I vote to please leave our Alaskan trains the way they are! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back