Amtrak in Alaska

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please play nice, Zephyr.

Correcting someone should always be done with utmost courtesy, especially if one is not on firm ground. The Alaska Railroad was sold to the state in 1985...

http://www.fra.dot.gov/rpd/passenger/202.shtml

ARR advertises itself as the last "full-service railroad" and provides fine passenger service.

Keep Amtrak away! They are doing just fine on their own.

And the federal government transferred ownership to the State of Alaska in the late 1970's, IIRC. I know when I first rode in 1986 it had been out from under the feds for years.

Jeez. Buy a clue, pacificstarlight.

Please play nice, Zephyr.

Correcting someone should always be done with utmost courtesy, especially if one is not on firm ground. The Alaska Railroad was sold to the state in 1985...

http://www.fra.dot.g...enger/202.shtml

ARR advertises itself as the last "full-service railroad" and provides fine passenger service.

Keep Amtrak away! They are doing just fine on their own.

And the federal government transferred ownership to the State of Alaska in the late 1970's, IIRC. I know when I first rode in 1986 it had been out from under the feds for years.

Jeez. Buy a clue, pacificstarlight.
I agree with this poster. Not all, (by a long shot) posters in this fan forum are well versed in the history or Amtrak, the politics involved, or the history and/or economics of railroads or passenger operations in general.

They just "like" train travel. I've had to hold my tongue several times, and was glad I did, finding out that the poster was either brand new, or, in many, many, cases a "kid".

I asked a gazillion stupid questions about railroading when I was a kid, looking at rail map just about forces one to do that. "..........there are tracks there, why the HECK can't we have a passenger train running..........."

So while I, and perhaps many on this forum, may share your feelings when reading these posts, take a breath, it might just be a reflection of you, or me, many years ago, when we first developed this addictive fascination to rail travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i don't mean to be rude, but this idea seems fairly odd to me. as others have already pointed out, the ARR is already in place. there is also ample bus service. moreover, many alaskans live in coastal towns (juneau included) that are only accessed by, wait for it, boat or plane. so to put in a rail system where there aren't even roads seems a wee bit far-fetched. but hey, you get points for thinking outside the box! :D

I lived in Anchorage in the early 90's, and often took the train in the winter-My neighbor was an engineer, and I'd ride the once a week train during the winter with him. Didn't go all the way to Fairbanks, it's winter schedule only went as far as Hurricane Gulch, (which is amazing!) but it was fun. Train consisted of a single RDC Budd Car, so got to ride the "head end". Was pretty cool, it was a flag stop, so any hunter, or homesteader could just flag down the train, and hop on. Made a few of those stops. Pretty neat trip to take! Of course, it's dark late, and early up there, so not much to see out the window for more than a few hours, unless you're up front looking fwd. (even if you don't get to ride "in the cab", as I remember if the separation was glass windows you could still see fwd through.

I agree with Blue Marble and rrdude. No reason not to agree to disagree without being disagreeable. A quick look at the OP's profile reveals he is 13 years old. I for one enjoy reading the thoughts and opinions of the young generation. Even if those ideas are impossible to implement, at least it represents thinking out of the box, something I think Amtrak could use! While I had an interest in trains at age 13, I was clueless when it came to Amtrak's operations. (Amtrak was only in it's third year of operation then; it sounds as if they were clueless too. :lol: )

I wish that more of the youth of America was as interested in passenger rail service as pacific starlight, johnny menhennet (who is so well-versed in all things Amtrak, not to mention the English language, that I forget he's 15) and Reid TYK.

I'm in Alaska, our ARR is great the way it is, Alaskan hospitality at it's finest! This fall for my milestone birthday, my nieces took me from Anchorage-Seward on the train...it was a gorgeous trip, we had so much fun! Spent all day there, shopping, eating and wandering around and then back to Anchorage! I do love Amtrak, but I vote to please leave our Alaskan trains the way they are!
If only we could have left Alaska itself the way it was instead of drilling the hell out of it and spilling black goo all over the place like a bunch of ignorant apes. :wacko:

well i don't mean to be rude, but this idea seems fairly odd to me. as others have already pointed out, the ARR is already in place. there is also ample bus service. moreover, many alaskans live in coastal towns (juneau included) that are only accessed by, wait for it, boat or plane. so to put in a rail system where there aren't even roads seems a wee bit far-fetched. but hey, you get points for thinking outside the box! :D

I lived in Anchorage in the early 90's, and often took the train in the winter-My neighbor was an engineer, and I'd ride the once a week train during the winter with him. Didn't go all the way to Fairbanks, it's winter schedule only went as far as Hurricane Gulch, (which is amazing!) but it was fun. Train consisted of a single RDC Budd Car, so got to ride the "head end". Was pretty cool, it was a flag stop, so any hunter, or homesteader could just flag down the train, and hop on. Made a few of those stops. Pretty neat trip to take! Of course, it's dark late, and early up there, so not much to see out the window for more than a few hours, unless you're up front looking fwd. (even if you don't get to ride "in the cab", as I remember if the separation was glass windows you could still see fwd through.
Hurricane Gulch is one of the coolest sights you will ever see from a train!

With respect to the young OP"s age and his contribution, forget about sending Amtrak to Alaska. Let them run what they have in the Lower 48. I am working in Hawaii at the moment, although there was a passenger railroad at one time along the Hilo side of the Big Island until wrecked by a tsunami in the 40's. Let me put in a plug for the Alaska Ferry. I have ridden it several times in the past three years to and from Ketchikan. The trip up the Inside Passage from Bellingham is wonderful, and my favorite was the sidetrip I managed last September in and out of narrow passages to Sitka. The main downsides are the less than daily schedules and the high fares for transporting a car.

In my experience (2004), the men and women of the ARR already run a classy railroad. They take a back seat to no one as far as heavy-duty mainline operation, freight or passenger.

Their passenger equipment is immaculate and their crews (operating and on-board service) are awesome. They have an extensive freight operation of merchandise, coal, aggregates, oil, etc.

They don't need any help in knowing how to railroad or how to serve the customer.

RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back