Amtrak INK?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is interesting, just realized I hadn't received one lately. Maybe everyone involved with it took the "buyout"...LOL
So the Amtrak Ink is not being sent to employees either? I wondered if the February and March issues had been generated, but they had not been put on the public part of the website. Doubt if it would have been permanently cut as part of budget cutting as Amtrak still needs a newsletter to inform employees, boost morale & team spirit, etc. Key people responsible for writing and assembling the issues taking the buyout would be a strong possibility.

Due to budget cuts forcing departments to conserve and recycle office supplies, it has been replaced with a new newsletter called Amtrak GRAPHITE. It's printed on the back of discarded office paper found in recycle bins next to the office copiers.

Due to budget cuts forcing departments to conserve and recycle office supplies, it has been replaced with a new newsletter called Amtrak GRAPHITE. It's printed on the back of discarded office paper found in recycle bins next to the office copiers.
dry.gif

There are a couple of things that seem to be a bit tardy (notably, Amtrak Virginia's MPR for February isn't out yet, which is late by most standards; by their own standards as of late, they should have March out already as well, and we should be seeing April in the next two weeks...these reports come out faster than the system-wide MPRs because they're a lot more cut-and-dried). So it might just be a posting problem...or, it might be discontinued. Who knows.

It's being replaced by Amtrak INKquirer. Upcoming stories include "Elvis Sighted on Heartland Flyer" and "Aliens Abducted Me From UP Siding." Look for it soon on Amtrak trains and supermarket checkout aisles. :)

and here I thought this was going to be about tattoos...

If the magazine was about tattoos, wouldn't they have called it Amtrak Tats? Which would be a rather specialized magazine!

Good to see the Ink back because it does provide useful info about projects and activities at Amtrak. The "Ink is Back" section though fails to discuss the reason for the hiatus and just talks about undergoing "important improvements" as positive spin. But one should not expect total honesty in a internal corporate publication.

There is really no hidden agenda, afigg. That department has had some turnover in the past few months, and there was simply nobody available to author and produce the publication. The department already runs on a skeleton staff, and the loss of one or two people can make a big difference.

If the magazine was about tattoos, wouldn't they have called it Amtrak Tats? Which would be a rather specialized magazine!

Good to see the Ink back because it does provide useful info about projects and activities at Amtrak. The "Ink is Back" section though fails to discuss the reason for the hiatus and just talks about undergoing "important improvements" as positive spin. But one should not expect total honesty in a internal corporate publication.

I'm glad its back too...

...even if reading it gives one the feeling that Amtrak is just one big happy, motivated, uplifting, best that there ever could be family. :help:

I'm glad its back too...

...even if reading it gives one the feeling that Amtrak is just one big happy, motivated, uplifting, best that there ever could be family. :help:
Years ago, internal news publications like this were put together by employees and featured actual employee news. Then the corporate communications and HR departments saw a way to promote the "mission, vision, values and strategies" of the organization, and hijacked the publications for their use.

I had occasions to contribute to my company's version of the INK. I would submit my item. Then the publication "professionals" , HR, and legal would parse every word, not to ensure technical accuracy (they would have no clue about that), but to make sure nothing was said that would imply something that corporate did not want implied. Sometimes the final product was hard to recognize as what I sent in.

There is really no hidden agenda, afigg. That department has had some turnover in the past few months, and there was simply nobody available to author and produce the publication. The department already runs on a skeleton staff, and the loss of one or two people can make a big difference.
I was not implying that there was any hidden agenda. I was simply noting that the publication was not providing the true reason for the long hiatus in publishing, but I would not expect such in a corporate publication. Anything that goes into it has to be sanitized, spun, and approved by management, press relations and legal departments. So it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back